Video: Some single coil sounds of my Vanquish multiscale bass.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GlassToMouth

Video: Some single coil sounds of my Vanquish multiscale bass.

Postby GlassToMouth » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Be kind or cruel. I picked up my first audio interface (Behringer UMC404HD) my first DAW (Reaper) and made my first attempt at a solo bass thingy (no slapping, but I do love me some slap) and my first time messing with a DAW drum composer plugin (MT Power Drummer). Video of questionable quality was shot with my brand new Apeman A80 action camera ($55 Go-Pro knock-off). My computer is a 2006 PC running 32 bit Windows Vista.

The equipment in the signal chain consists of my EMG 45TWX equipped VM49K Vanquish multiscale in single coil mode on both pickups evenly blended, Dunlop MXR Bass Compressor as a peak limiter (which I never peaked hard enough to engage) and a splash of reverb from my Zoom B3n. No post editing. Basically flat EQ with the tiniest boost of the bass knob from the onboard EMG BQC preamp.

https://youtu.be/fwpkeNvsLQ0
Last edited by GlassToMouth on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Video: Some single coil sounds of my Vanquish multiscale bass.

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:08 am

What's to be cruel about? Wonderful stuff.

A few thoughts as I was listening. First, nice rendering altogether. Clear and crisp across the register. Nice playing - both left and right hands; you seem comfortable and you are effective (who cares about "right" and "wrong"?). Thank you for dropping down to the bottom frets in the final section - you had me worried. :) Thank you EVEN MORE for playing a 4 string. I"ll say no more about that. As far as composition is concerned, the only thing I was waiting and hoping for was a 2 bar long ascent from the lowest note, all the way up to the fundamental on the 1 of the 3rd bar - like in a funk style, where you approach from far BELOW the 1.

Anyway, sweetness!
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 am

Very cool. I'm always grateful when players put there stuff out there for others to enjoy and learn from. I've always admired your bass and it's really cool to see and hear it played so well. It sounds fantastic and your playing is to be envied.

Thanks again.

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words. I hope to have another similar video soon with a different simple composition and a little bit of over dubbing. I hope to show the sounds of all the possible pickup combinations in finger style in upper and lower registers. With all the positions and coil splitting, it will be a daunting EIGHT different combinations I'll attempt to capture accurately and tastefully. Long term goal for the following video will be slap tones for all 8 sounds.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:13 am

Great work! Bass sounds really nice too. Thanks for posting.

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Intentionally posting here for low exposure and polite listeners. This is a rough mix of an unpolished idea featuring the same bass with bridge humbucker soloed. Audio only, no video. But decent fidelity.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLUkoL ... p=drivesdk

Another tune with even blend of humbuckers on the low end, even blend of singles on the melody.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FbsKYX ... p=drivesdk

LordIronSpatula

Postby LordIronSpatula » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:22 pm

I guess I'm a little late to the thread, but I still want to chime in. Your playing and mixing sound great, but I'm most impressed with your writing chops!

In regard to your most recent post, my only critique would be that your lower notes could use a bit more definition. You've got some really great articulation that sounds like it's partly buried under low frequency bloom. Especially in the first track, I would consider rolling off the lows a bit and/or using compression to make it "pop" a bit more. Mids are what give a line like that presence in a mix in my experience. I get the appeal of a beefy bass sound, but I think it's worth sacrificing some lows to make a great line like that easier to hear.

The tone choice actually makes a lot of sense in the second track because it makes the lower part sound distinct from the higher one.

I really don't want to come across as critical - like I said I'm really impressed over all. Maybe even a bit jealous lol... Just thought maybe my semi-educated perspective on mixing might be of some use.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses