Black Limba with what?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Neeraj

Black Limba with what?

Postby Neeraj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:48 am

Hey guys, I havent posted for ages, but its nice to see this site in all its glory!

I am thinking of getting a Roy Vogt Vanquish, but as a 4-string. I have found Black Limba to my liking, but not sure which (if any) top wood would fit. I want natural wood color only, and in satin finish.
Do u have top wood with BL (or even other color w BL as top wood)? Or just BL whole body & front?

Any pics appreciated for ideas, I am trying to imagine either WL body w/ BL top, or BL body & front, or BL body w/ pale moon top. But I'm open to all ideas :)

Cheers!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Black Limba with what?

Postby Toptube » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Neeraj wrote:Hey guys, I havent posted for ages, but its nice to see this site in all its glory!

I am thinking of getting a Roy Vogt Vanquish, but as a 4-string. I have found Black Limba to my liking, but not sure which (if any) top wood would fit. I want natural wood color only, and in satin finish.
Do u have top wood with BL (or even other color w BL as top wood)? Or just BL whole body & front?

Any pics appreciated for ideas, I am trying to imagine either WL body w/ BL top, or BL body & front, or BL body w/ pale moon top. But I'm open to all ideas :)

Cheers!

I think natural clear flame top would look very good. Especially in matte/satin finish.

Pale moon would look awesome. But also super expensive :drool:

Regular Ebony tops also look really good. We have a user here who has at least two basses with ebony tops. Thinking about it right now, i would probably go with an ebony top.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:42 pm

To me, Black limba has a green-ness to it than can sometimes clash with other darker woods like orange-y mahogany or koa. I think lighter woods like white limba, ash or something maple would look best on the top. If you'd prefer a darker wood,though, TO MY OWN PERSONAL TASTES, it seems like getting a 3PB option and getting that middle layer as a lighter color wood, helps put some separation between the two woods, and helps the whole think look a bit more cohesive.

Like on this one, I'm not normally a fan of these two woods together, but that layer of (alder? Maple? ash? not sure) lighter wood in between makes is just fine.

And even with those lighter woods, I'd still be temped by the think black layer version of the 3PB...

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:22 pm

ooh yeah, i agree with Spud. Here is another with the maple 3rd layer:

LB75Player

Postby LB75Player » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:25 pm

My personal taste would be just a solid black limba body. There's already so much color and grain variation in the limba that I don't think it needs anything else to set it off.
LB75, LB75P, Icon 4, AC50, BK40 Fretless Kit, GK1P Kit (Ordered)

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm

LB75Player wrote:My personal taste would be just a solid black limba body. There's already so much color and grain variation in the limba that I don't think it needs anything else to set it off.

Ditto. Black limba is a gorgeous wood by itself. 8)
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:34 pm

skully13a wrote:
LB75Player wrote:My personal taste would be just a solid black limba body. There's already so much color and grain variation in the limba that I don't think it needs anything else to set it off.

Ditto. Black limba is a gorgeous wood by itself. 8)

You know, I would agree with that, too. BUT!!! I would specifically pay for an upcharge to have a body hand-selected for stipes. Sometimes black limba can just look a little too...homogenous. I like it better with the chocolate stripes. :)

Still nice, but not my preference:

But this? Yeah, buddy!

Of course, all of this is moot if you're getting a model that has a top as standard, or if you are chambering, where you need a top. You still COULD do a black limba top, but I would then DEFINITELY recommend the 3PB.

LB75Player

Postby LB75Player » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

spudmunkey wrote:You know, I would agree with that, too. BUT!!! I would specifically pay for an upcharge to have a body hand-selected for stipes. Sometimes black limba can just look a little too...homogenous. I like it better with the chocolate stripes. :)

I agree, I do want to see lots of color variation and dark stripes. I'm holding out hope that the black limba kit I just ordered comes in looking something like the body wood on this one. I doubt it will since it's just a kit but a guy can dream.

LB75, LB75P, Icon 4, AC50, BK40 Fretless Kit, GK1P Kit (Ordered)

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Isn’t the Roy Vogt only available as a 6-string?

There’s so much variation with limba that nailing down one concept can be hard. I’ve seen some WL that looks like BL and some that looks like plain maple.
Ebony, on the other hand, sounds and looks amazing. You definitely get what you pay for with that.
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:46 pm

The main feature of the Roy Vogt Vanquish is the dual SCP configuration. Which they have since done on the Xccelerator 6 string. So, I bet if you played option 50, you could get a 4 string Vogtquish.
x64-be-lmw-xhr-eph-ill-6100-5wp-id-zwf-mbs-gl-sl-bpp-tcz-bc-hs-2scppickupsetup-137792_gallery[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neeraj

Postby Neeraj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks guys, those are all very nice, ur right, it should more heterogenous pattern. I also found this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Neeraj wrote:Hey guys, I havent posted for ages, but its nice to see this site in all its glory!

Cheers!

Welcome back, brother. I quoted you recently to a newcomer: "The wait is a horror."

:)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm

That looks cool, Neeraj. That looks like white limba with a black limba top?
Some of that stripey :ninja: black limba would be well worth the upcharge.
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

bhunt1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bhunt1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:36 am

I got this last month - black limba top with ash body satin finish. I think it looks good :)

Neeraj

Postby Neeraj » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:55 am

Welcome back, brother. I quoted you recently to a newcomer: "The wait is a horror."

:)[/quote]

Thanks!, haha, wow, I cant even remember saying that, but its true though, if I didnt have a job I 'd b sitting by the window daily waiting for the mailman with a big box :P

Skull13a: yes I think its BL with WL, very nice

bhunt1: That is a very nice combination, the BL looks alomost like a brighter walnut

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:07 am

Just go solid limba.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses