Carvin Bashing on Talkbass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ThaTroll

Re: Carvin Bashing on Talkbass

Postby ThaTroll » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:32 am

That isn't representative of the overall feeling about Carvin/Kiesel on Talkbass. I post there frequently and see folks praising Carvins all the time, and it's almost guaranteed that someone will recommend Carvin/Kiesel in any thread asking for a recommendations on a new bass with specific attributes (in part because Carvin/Kiesel offers something for nearly everyone with tons of options)

GlassToMouth

Postby GlassToMouth » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:05 am

I live in a wonderfully musical house. The landlord/roommate is a talented video/audio engineer. I basically LIVE AT A MUSIC STUDIO. And I also concur that caps lock is cruise control for cool. There's about 5 rehearsals here a week with 4 different bands. I consider myself the lowest bass player on the totem pole in regards to polish and awesomeness. The gentleman I consider to be the highest, no longer will jam on my Kiesel. Because it's his favorite. He feels it makes his USA Fenders and German Warwick feel like toys in comparison. But what does he know? Other than world tours, great execution, and flawless talent, he wants to continue to enjoy his desirable stable of wood. Agreed. Burn all the Kiesels and Squier for life. :think:
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm

skully13a wrote:It seems to me that usually the guy talking the most has the least to say. :ninja:

Uh oh... I've been guilty of a good many tl;dr sessions.

On the thread subject, the older I get, the more I sense (the more I observe social media and musical discussions therein, including my own) that "bashing" of a brand is more about the poster forging his or her musical identity, and trying to win acceptance of his or her own gear versus another. And a critique of your gear's brand by another warrants a counterattack, because you can't walk around having people think your beloved gear is grot.

I suffer from the same impulses, I ain't above it in the slightest. Let someone suggest that the new Kiesel is better than the mid eighties Carvin in terms of necks and build quality and there's a possibility I'll pop in to 1) snipe or 2) laugh and get all philosophical about hype.. because my favorite guitar was made by Carvin in the mid eighties during the set neck "versus Gibson" period.. and my belief that the precision engineer (it's what he was by trade) named Mark Kiesel in his late twenties and mid thirties was a master craftsman on par with most boutique builders today.

The worst thing about social media is that young players read and hear things said on social media that are wildly inaccurate and said by people with absolutely no hands on experience with the target of their critique, but take up these tropes online to fit into the musical hivemind in Ibbyworld, Gibbyworld, Fendyworld, etc. You see it with anti-Carvin/Kiesel, pro Gibson, anti-Gibson, anti Kahler, and a thousand other things.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:The worst thing about social media is that young players read and hear things said on social media that are wildly inaccurate and said by people with absolutely no hands on experience with the target of their critique,

This is my problem with the Talkbass thread in question. Some of the opinions are simply based on wrong information, like the guy (who never played a Carvin) who said they weren't professional instruments in spite of the many pros that do use them. Or the guy who said that Carvins are generally viewed as shoddy and are purchased mostly by one-time buyers who later regret it but won't admit it. I find it difficult to keep my mouth shut in those circumstances while someone is talking nonsense.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Btw I like your username. I'm a bit of a fan of guitar Vikings... or make that Viking Guitars.

1975 vintage:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Ah yes, the Hagstroms. I remember those being around in the 70s but I don`t recall playing one. They were made in Sweden right?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Yep, the originals were made there (reissues are being made for the past fifteen years, but they've been made in Asia, USA, and Bohemia, depending on the model.

All the 59-83 originals were Swedish, they also made the bridges and tremolo systems for Guild Thunderbirds and Starfires (and still do, with the new iteration of the company).

I'm a fan of the Seventies/Eighties Hagstroms, because that's when their humbuckers appeared. They may be my favorite buckers of all time, I think I may like them even better than the (1958 long Alnico II mag) PAF originals they're based on, with the slightest bump in output.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

marley's ghost

Postby marley's ghost » Thu May 24, 2018 6:08 pm

I've been a TB member for 16 years and virtually everything gets bashed. You have to take it with a grain of salt.

There's lots of love in this thread.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/offici ... t-21365183

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Thu May 24, 2018 6:35 pm

tru dat

and in a similar vein, i'll say the beloved K/C BBS gets bashed on the K/C FB

that is to say, people are people
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri May 25, 2018 6:35 am

People are always more motivated to jump online aggressively when they feel they've been wronged or that there's something negative they want to say. They have all the energy in the world in those situations.

When things go well, most people think to themselves--"Well that's how they're SUPPOSED to be, no need to praise anyone."

When people do jump online to praise someone or something, it's usually something that has very directly affected them positively--and in music, if it includes pictures of their new instrument, it's often because they simply want to brag and show off their new gear which they think crushes your gear..
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

jeff6845

Postby jeff6845 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:07 pm

I have basses from Fender, Music Man, and Kiesel. The Kiesel, a V59K, is the better of them all, not even close. Worst, surprisingly is the Music Man. Although it's over all fit and finish is better than the Fender, the neck requires too much adjusting.

I was watching a factory tour on M Basses on Jayme Lewis Youtube channel, and was wondering where is that guy's kiln dryer. I've learned the most about manufacturing watching Jeff Kiesel's youtube videos.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses