Radiused pups

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Radiused pups

Postby SEANZILLA » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:49 pm

I've got a B24s that is 4 years old and had the original radiused pickups. How do they differ from the newer Radium pickups?
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Radiused pups

Postby Toptube » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:25 pm

I have personally used all iterations of the radiuses pickups besides the newest humbuckers, at home with my own gear. 4 sets in my Icon and a 5th, the newest single coils, via Vader bass.

The original radiuses single coils are pretty much a classic single coil tone. Round and warm. A bit airy. A little light in the lows. The tone isnt exactly the same-----But I loosley compare the style of tone to Dimarzio Area J.

Whereas the newer singles are more like the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. A mix of modern and classic tone. Bigger in the lows. Defined low mid. Tighter in the mids, but still full with enough of that classic roundness. More crunch up top and more ready to growl, overall.

The original radiused Hunbucker is thicker sounding and a little hotter. It's kind of a one trick pony, but that trick is pretty good.bits got a modern edge, but not too hyped. It's a tone kind of halfway between EMG and the barts from the older MTDs.

The newer ones seem more open and articulate. Buy perhapsgive up some beef to get there. Kind of a modern MTD or EMG like tone.

My clear fave are the 2nd/3rd versions of the radiused singles. But I do enjoy the original radiuses humbucker, as well.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses