Carvin LB70 electronics issue

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

floorguy

Carvin LB70 electronics issue

Postby floorguy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:26 am

I bought an LB70 new in the mid 90's. a couple months ago, I was playing and thought the battery went dead. I changed it and the active EQ did not work. I pulled the battery out and was warm. Has anyone else had this issue? Any tips on repair or where to start? Any repair people near NW Iowa area? Thanks

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Carvin LB70 electronics issue

Postby Praiser » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:40 am

Are you sure you unplugged the cable from the bass before you removed the battery?
This will toast the active side of the preamp and has happened to lots of folks through the years.
Always seemed like a design flaw to me, and makes me paranoid I'll forget one day and do it to one of mine.
Fortunately, the passive voice of their basses is still very good to my ears.

Most people replace the entire pre but if you are, or know, an electronics expert they can be repaired with some effort.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Carvin LB70 electronics issue

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am

Praiser wrote:Are you sure you unplugged the cable from the bass before you removed the battery?
This will toast the active side of the preamp and has happened to lots of folks through the years.
Always seemed like a design flaw to me, and makes me paranoid I'll forget one day and do it to one of mine.
Fortunately, the passive voice of their basses is still very good to my ears.

Most people replace the entire pre but if you are, or know, an electronics expert they can be repaired with some effort.
Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Is that potential issue concern still relevant with their newer electronics? It always struck me as Super odd that that was such a common issue, but went unchanged for years. I do remember seeing a few threads online where people included some component to prevent the issue. Seemed like a simple enough modification, from what I remember.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses