New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 pm

New Zeus Series Multiscale Headless Bass GuitarsZeus Series Multiscale Basses

To help close out 2018 on a high note, the Kiesel Guitars USA Custom Shop is excited to expand our wildly popular Zeus Series instrument lineup with new 4, 5 and 6 string multiscale headless basses! These new bass guitars take the great looks and features of the ZB4, ZB5 and ZB6, and adds a multiscale fingerboard and standard active electronics, allowing you to take your playing to the next level, and look cool while doing it.

The ZBM4 multiscale sports a 33.5" - 34.5" fingerboard, and the ZBM5 & ZBM6 have a 33.5" - 35" fingerboard. In addition to the fast multiscale fingerboard, the Zeus basses are loaded with features, including Kiesel Guitars' acclaimed 18V active/passive electronics with alnico Radium humbuckers; Kiesel-designed Hipshot bridge; Kiesel-designed locking nut that allows the use of standard single-ball end strings; a beveled alder body and Eastern hardrock maple neck; and staggered offset dots and stainless steel frets on the ebony fingerboard.

Of course, because it's a Kiesel, there are dozens and dozens of options you can choose from, including exotic woods for the body, neck, fingerboard and top; solid and translucent finishes, as well as our exclusive color-shift and crackle finishes; and an assortment of inlay styles and materials. No matter what your playing style or personal tastes are, the Kiesel Guitars USA Custom Shop can build you a Zeus multiscale bass that will look amazing, play like butter, and sound even better.

Swing by Kiesel Guitars today to build and order your new Custom Shop Zeus Series multiscale bass. Also, be sure to check out our Kiesel Guitars Facebook and Kiesel Guitars Instagram to see some amazing examples of all our USA Custom Shop guitars and basses, and keep up with everything that's going on at the Kiesel Guitars.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/zbm4
https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/zbm5
https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/zbm6

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Why slant the covered pu's and not the HB with exposed pole pieces?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:42 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:Why slant the covered pu's and not the HB with exposed pole pieces?

My guess is that the other pickups are blade style pickups, so you don't have to worry about pull pieces lining up with strings dot-dot. Or at least they are covered, so they don't look like they are misaligned if they are not blade style pickups.

This is their first six string multiscale, and in the past, they have said that they're normal covered pickups aren't long enough to be able to spam the six strings, when on an angle. I don't know if that relates here at all,

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:10 am

The radiused pickups are blades

Jeff said he finally got setup for longer radiused pickups. So the 6 string has those available.

He said he spent $18,000 on setting up for the longer pickups.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:31 am

spudmunkey wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Why slant the covered pu's and not the HB with exposed pole pieces?

My guess is that the other pickups are blade style pickups, so you don't have to worry about pole pieces lining up with strings... Or at least they are covered, so they don't look like they are misaligned if they are not blade style pickups.

This is their first six string multiscale, and in the past, they have said that they're normal covered pickups aren't long enough to be able to spam the six strings, when on an angle. I don't know if that relates here at all,

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 am

I wasn't clear. If I offered slanted covered blades, I wouldn't offer non-slanted with pole pieces. The non-slanted to me are a vertigo-inducing eye-sore compared to the slanted. And from a cork-sniffing perspective, the tonality would be "off" for the non-slanted, yes? :)

GlassToMouth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby GlassToMouth » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am

This REALLY has me GASing. I've wanted a headless multiscale since the moment I received my VM49K. I'm still holding onto hope for an Osiris multiscale bass. The fact that the hardware is available is quite promising. I remember the release dates of the original Osiris and Zeus were pretty close together. I'm hesitant to order a Zeus since I'm so used to upper horns reaching out to the 12th fret. I also just received my Xmas bonus!

I would probably go with the single coils since I have set of the radium humbuckers hanging around that I pulled out of my Vanquish. And likely would end up ripping them out eventually for an active EMG set up since I seem to do that on every bass I own. Routing never steers me away. I don't purchase instruments with resale value in mind.

And I completely agree about non-slanted pickups on multiscale instruments. It makes my eyes twitch. Although it doesn't look too out of place on the multiscale jazz bass.
VM49K Vanquish multiscale 4 string 4/29/17

NBD thread - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=49182&p=632719

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:10 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:I wasn't clear. If I offered slanted covered blades, I wouldn't offer non-slanted with pole pieces. The non-slanted to me are a vertigo-inducing eye-sore compared to the slanted. And from a cork-sniffing perspective, the tonality would be "off" for the non-slanted, yes? :)

From what Toptube said, it looks like they just weren't tooled up to make a pickup long enough to slant while still spanning all 6 strings. The one in the pictures was probably made before the longer slanted pickups were finished. Tonally they're not "off", it's like a Tele or Strat bridge pickup: brighter highs, warmer lows, slightly odd, kinda reedy midrange. It's not a super common sound, but it's really cool for something jazzy.

I'm really excited for these, I wanna pick up a 4-string to try next to my Warwick. Are any of y'all able to compare the Kiesel bass pickups to a standard J/J set, in broad strokes?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 am

P pickups (split and staggered) are super common. I don't see why a slanted pickup would seem weird, in terms of resulting tone.

Howler

Postby Howler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:21 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:From what Toptube said, it looks like they just weren't tooled up to make a pickup long enough to slant while still spanning all 6 strings. The one in the pictures was probably made before the longer slanted pickups were finished.

Toptube said longer radiused pickups so maybe not for HB4/5/6 Alnico Bridge Humbuckers.

Also checked the gallery and they also did that on VM59K's:

Hopefully they will soon offer multiscale options for Osiris and VADER basses!

jovsiew
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jovsiew » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:12 am

Man, I will def be ordering one of these. I love my Zeus Fretless. I think the model shown in the pics of the 6 is the the one Killian Duarte has, so they are an OP50. I compared the design to the existing Zeus and I like the more extreme looking top bevel a lot. Looks a bit more stretched out compared to the original design.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:24 am

Howler wrote:

That's gorgeous but it screams NO 10 DAY TRIAL! :)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Howler wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:From what Toptube said, it looks like they just weren't tooled up to make a pickup long enough to slant while still spanning all 6 strings. The one in the pictures was probably made before the longer slanted pickups were finished.

Toptube said longer radiused pickups so maybe not for HB4/5/6 Alnico Bridge Humbuckers.

Hopefully they will soon offer multiscale options for Osiris and VADER basses!

I'm a little confused by your wording. But, if you are wondering about music man style pickups on these basses, check out the product page for the 6 string.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:55 pm

In what may be an error, the latest issue of Vintage Guitar magazine includes an announcement for Kiesel's release of the new ZMB basses. However, it also mentions a 7-string version, the ZMB7. Has anyone heard of the same? This point may be old news or no news.

MadMike23
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MadMike23 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Toptube wrote:The radiused pickups are blades

Jeff said he finally got setup for longer radiused pickups. So the 6 string has those available.

He said he spent $18,000 on setting up for the longer pickups.

So does that mean there’s a 6-string multiscale Vanquish on the horizon?
Basses:
2010 IC4P clear quilt ("White Tiger")
2012 IC5P sunset burst ("Eternal Flame")
2017 VM59K vintage yellow ("Bumblebee")
Amp: Carvin BX1500, BR210 and BR118 cabinets ("The Stack of Doom")
Effects: Boss ME-50B

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Greg Emm wrote:In what may be an error, the latest issue of Vintage Guitar magazine includes an announcement for Kiesel's release of the new ZMB basses. However, it also mentions a 7-string version, the ZMB7. Has anyone heard of the same? This point may be old news or no news.

Not an error. :shock:

2.jpg

3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:41 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Greg Emm wrote:In what may be an error, the latest issue of Vintage Guitar magazine includes an announcement for Kiesel's release of the new ZMB basses. However, it also mentions a 7-string version, the ZMB7. Has anyone heard of the same? This point may be old news or no news.

Not an error. :shock:

2.jpg
3.jpg

Gulp!

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:18 am

pitch for each string? anyone?

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:pitch for each string? anyone?

Product page is up. BEADGCF

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

Interesting... 33.2 - 35 scale

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses