Carving Bolt JB Junior bridge PU replacement

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

AltereDave

Carving Bolt JB Junior bridge PU replacement

Postby AltereDave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi everyone, I've been a long time reader bust posting for the first time.

I need your help with a wiring, I got an used Carvin bolt 2 years ago and it's been great all this time but I felt it needs more power in the bridge pick up, so I decided to replace it for a single coil sized humbucker and the JB Junior from Seymour Duncan was the chosen one.
I have replaced pup's in the past and I know it's a 15 min thing, but this was my first Strat pup changing from single coil to humbucker wich seems straight forward at first but you know Bolts have this toggle switch that got me all confused in the end. At first I wanted to use the toggle switch for splitting the humbucker into single coil so I had to re arrange the cables but in the end I couldn't make it work. I failed to make the toggle switch split the humbucker so basically I'll leave it for now unused. The JB Junior sounded thin in comparison to the others.. then I kinda make it work but still, it sounds humbucky but lower in volume..and the middle and middle-bridge position produce pretty much the same sound now. I haven't done any changes other than removing the old pup and disconnect the toggle. I've got a dead end ally and I got tired of re string everytime after trying wiring to check if it works or not. I want to play the guitar..help :oops:

I followed Seymour Duncan wiring for S-S-H configuration which is this

This is how the wiring looks in real life in my bolt, but it's not working :think: I've marked the connections. Black on switch, green and bare together on volume, and white and read joint and taped together.

Can anyone do a quick paint in this pic with the right wiring please? I also included the on/off directions of the toggle switch if somebody knows how to split the humbucker. I will really appreciate whoever have the time to answer and help me go back to guitar playing.

AltereDave

Re: Carving Bolt JB Junior bridge PU replacement

Postby AltereDave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:20 pm

PS This is the girl

This is the previous stock wiring

And this is how they had the toggle switch connected

Supposedly this is the Bolt stock wiring
http://www.guitarkitbuilder.com/img/car ... ctions.jpg

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I'm not 100% what you're asking for after all that. It looks to be wired correctly as you have it. If it sounds off, maybe the red/white are not making good connection under the tape (but that would probably cut out). Or the ground is not making good connection? or the JBjr is out of phase with the singles?

As far as a coil tap...

(*) When the mini switch lever is up, the middle and bottom lugs in that pic are connected. And when the lever is down (on the front), mid + top lugs are connected. And you have 2 sets of 3 lugs (2 sides).

It depends on which coil you want on, with how you wire it.

A) (Top coil ON)
1) Middle lug to ground (where the bare is on the vol)
(*)
2) 1 outer lug to the green (ground) lead
3) Other outer lug to tap wires (both of them)

B) (Bottom coil ON)
1) Middle lug to the bridge hot on the 5-way
(*)
2) 1 outer lug to the black (hot) lead
3) Other outer lug to tap wires (both of them)

PS> The old mini switch was setup for "always-on" (include bridge in all pos).

Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

AltereDave

Postby AltereDave » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks! And sorry for the late reply as I moved and recently settleddown and got internet runing and time to work on the guitar. I made it work now resoldering everything to make sure everything was making better contact and is working fine but still the JB Junior sounds thinner than I was expecting for a humbucker. I'll try to configure the toggle switch and do combinations to see if I can make it fatter.

Return to Tech Talk