Headlass Bass Nut/ Alternate tunings

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Captjag

Headlass Bass Nut/ Alternate tunings

Postby Captjag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:09 am

Hey Guys,

So I have a ZBM5 on the way and looking to off-load an old Lakland once it arrives. Once it does I'm going to start looking into a second build as I decided years ago I would only keep 2 basses around, a 5 and a 4 string.

For the 4 string I still want to go headless, and wanted to know how easy it would be to swap between BEAD and EADG tunings depending on the project. I know with traditional basses it would generally mean either filing the nut to accommodate BEAD and hoping the string break angle at the nut allowed to just down gauge OR having a second nut for the EADG strings.

With a headless, is this something that would be harder? Easier? Any insight? Want to have a build ready to go for the next good opportunity.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Headlass Bass Nut/ Alternate tunings

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am

It's the same nut as a regular bass, so you should still file for bigger strings. Using thinner strings for standard on a nut cut for something bigger might get you some buzzing or undesireable movement. Just keep a second nut if that's an issue for you, and just swap them out. But again, same deal as a regular bass with a headstock.

Captjag

Postby Captjag » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 pm

I guess I thought where the strings mounted and the nut were one piece on the headless models, didn't realize you could swap the nut along out

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:48 pm

Captjag wrote:I guess I thought where the strings mounted and the nut were one piece on the headless models, didn't realize you could swap the nut along out

Yeah, the headpiece is one part that's bolted into the end of the neck, and the nut is separate part mounted like normal on the end of the fretboard.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Or get a second bass for alternate tunings.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

cheframennoodle

Postby cheframennoodle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:24 am

What about changing tunings less drastically? How doable is tuning the low B string down to A between songs?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am

No problem. Just set yourself up with a string that works with both A and B, but you should be good to go.

Return to Tech Talk