Recommended SCP height for PB4

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

roncarr

Recommended SCP height for PB4

Postby roncarr » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:19 pm

I put some new strings on my PB4 that are a little lighter gauge than the originals. I want to get a baseline for pickup height and was reading the Kiesel online manual. It says for split coils: SCP - 5/32”(R) 6/32”(C) 1/8”(L) . So what does the R,C and L mean?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Recommended SCP height for PB4

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Right (treble side), Center (the middle side of both coils), and Left (bass side), I think.

roncarr

Postby roncarr » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:51 am

I was thinking along those same lines, just never seen anything like that in writing. Also wondering why for consistency they just don't say 8/32" instead of 1/8"?

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 am

I don't know why they printed 1/8.It would be 4/32. I didn't know the setup specs were online. I'll have to check it out. Do they say to measure with the string pressed down at the last fret?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am

roncarr wrote:I was thinking along those same lines, just never seen anything like that in writing. Also wondering why for consistency they just don't say 8/32" instead of 1/4"? [FTFY]

It bothers me more that they used 6/32" instead of 3/16". :lol:

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:Right (treble side), Center (the middle side of both coils), and Left (bass side), I think.

That jibes with my mental image of a right handed bass layout. BUT I think it's backwards. Shouldn't the pickup be closer to the strings on the treble side?

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:55 am

Bob C wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:Right (treble side), Center (the middle side of both coils), and Left (bass side), I think.

That jibes with my mental image of a right handed bass layout. BUT I think it's backwards. Shouldn't the pickup be closer to the strings on the treble side?

Well, it should really follow the radius with some extra distance on the bass side, which this does:
5/32" under the high G
6/32" in the middle
4/32" under the low E
Highest in the middle, then treble, then bass.

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:18 am

4/32 is less distance than 5/32.

badmotorfinger74

Postby badmotorfinger74 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:08 am

Does anyone know the correct answer here? I sent an email to customer support a couple of weeks ago hoping to get a confirmation of the heights, and haven't heard anything.

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:36 am

I guess when looking at a right handed bass straight on the treble side would be on the right. But looking at it in playing position, treble position would be left. Or bottom vs top. So, 4/32" on the bottom/left/treble side makes sense to me now.

Return to Tech Talk