Vader Trem Tuning Stability Issue

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

forestd

Vader Trem Tuning Stability Issue

Postby forestd » Fri May 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Hoping someone can help me out with this very annoying problem. When I go for a solid bend (whole step or more) on a string, that string will detune 15-25 cents. Then, if I use the tremolo afterwards, it will return to the proper tuning (mostly). If this description doesn’t make any sense, I’ve recorded a video: https://streamable.com/hlwdgc

In the video I just go through each string with the camera on the tuner, then alternate between bending the 3rd string at the 12th fret, and just wailing on the tremolo to demonstrate how inconsistent the pitch is.

This is an issue for all of the strings on my Vader 6X, but it’s most pronounced on the 3rd string. The problem has also persisted through many sets of strings.

Any tips appreciated! This is driving me crazy.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Vader Trem Tuning Stability Issue

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 pm

It's an issue with most non-locking trems - the string will get caught on the saddles and go out of tune and come back when you use the trem. The Vader trems have been pretty good about not doing that, but if you're having issues maybe either the Graphtech string saver saddles (which are made of the same material as their nuts or in the case of the SS Classics have an insert of that) have helped me with that issue on other guitars.

forestd

Re: Vader Trem Tuning Stability Issue

Postby forestd » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Interesting, did not know that. Which of the models on their website (https://graphtech.com/collections/strin ... s-electric) would work with the Vader 6X?

Return to Tech Talk