Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Postby AxRookie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 am

I have been looking for something that would let me get a better grip on a pick that keeps it from moving around and needing to keep readjusting the pick position while at the same time hold the pick lightly and I finally found something that works very well.

I had tried double-sided tape before but it ended up making my fingers sticky and the adhesive would get pretty slimy pretty quickly from the oils from my fingers and add to that the tape would pick up all kinds of debris so that was a bust, but it gave me an idea one night...

Try 3M's VHB double-sided foam tape a try, it's 1mm thick and it grips in a different way than other tapes...

This is 3M's description of their VHB tape...
3M VHB Tape consists of a durable acrylic adhesive with viscoelastic properties. This provides an extraordinarily strong double-sided foam tape that adheres to a broad range of substrates with a Pressure-sensitive adhesive bond on contact to provide immediate handling strength.

So I gave it a try and for me, it works great, since it's 1mm thick it makes the pick thicker at wherever you apply it which make the pick easier to hang on to using a little grip and just by feel alone you can tell which way the pick tip is facing, the adhesive doesn't get too sticky or slimy because it's viscoelastic, it doesn't pick up all kinds of debris because it is Pressure-sensitive, and it doesn't make me fingers sticky because it isn't really a sticky kind of adhesive with skin and if anything it cleans my fingers after using it and at the same time if you hang onto it for a few seconds it starts to grip your fingers in a good way that keeps the pick from moving around between your fingers!
It's weird how good it works, I just put a strip of it on both sides of the pick and that's it...

Here's a short video clip talking about how it works...

https://youtu.be/mVUfV-_sNmc

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Getting A Grip On Your Pick...

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:55 am

You might like these.
Screen Shot 2019-11-08 at 3.48.37 AM.png

I was given one to try, and I liked it. I never bought more, because I don't really have any issues with standard picks. Although....
I may 'Pick' up a few to have around. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 am

For me the flat surface of a pick and even the textured picks that I've tried ( I haven't tried picks like cats tongue yet) and picks with holes haven't worked as good as this VHB does for me, but that's just me, what also makes it good to get a good grip while still holding the pick lightly is it very thin acrylic foam center which raises the clingy part above the pick which you can cut it to any shape you like and put it anywhere on the pick you like and unlike skin wherever you put it stay put great because grabs like hell once it's been on something for a day but it's just not like that with skin...You can get small pieces of VHB on ebay for next to nothing to try it out for yourself, Some of you might like it and others not so much, Who knows??? I'm just throwing it out there since it's working so good for me...

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:10 am

Naked Ape wrote:You might like these.

I really liked the Cool Picks with the sandpaper texture, but the big "346" style I like is almost impossible to find in music stores around here (in any brand other than Fender medium). Some reviewers say the texture wears off, but I haven't experienced that.

Before the sandpapery ones, Cool Picks made some with little nubbins of soft material, almost like tiny dots of rubber cement or something - those were virtually impossible to drop, but the nubbins would eventually wear off, long before the pick was otherwise worn down enough to discard.

These look interesting...
monstergrips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:14 pm

For $9.95 I'm going to give them a try for sure! They sound great! :rockon:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:16 am

I used Gorilla Snot (pine sap, I believe) years ago, but it was tough to wash off and hardened over the years. It would also fall off and coat/kill the strings. Something else, quite similar, exists, and the acoustic player at my church calls it "sticky pick," though I've not seen anything under that name. It's kind of a gel, and leave little on the fingers, but still transfers to the strings.

The main thing is that I wish a company would make a sticky Jazz III shape. I don't have a huge problem holding onto the ultex or carbon ones, but it could be improved. I don't play regular picks much at all; too in-the-way.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 am

I don't want anything sticky or tacky, I like grippy so at times I can hold the pick with a light grip and the pick doesn't get pushed around, That the only way I can describe it...

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

as it turns out it's not the gippyness I liked about the VHB as much as the thin strip of 1mm thick acrylic foam going across the pick, Turns out I like how the foam feels and the frame of reference the strip gives me going straight across the pick so I can always tell more precisely how the pick is pointing, That prob doesn't make any sense?

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:42 am

You know there is one aspect of this discussion that has literally never crossed my mind until today but it really should have because it makes a night and day difference when it comes to interfacing you will through your fingers to the pick.

I've been a mechanic all my life starting in automotive and ending in general aviation and let me tell you as a life long mechanic your hand really take a beating from a million small cuts everywhere across every part of both my hands from the tips of my fingers to my wrists and beyond, to hundreds of DEEP cuts across both hands, to bruises, bangs, smashed fingers, and torn skin.

Let me tell you that it takes a toll on your sensitivity to touch and feel something your holding in your hand and even more so holding between your fingers and thumb.

And your dominant hand takes the brunt of that neverending waves of punishment with my right hand being my dominant hand.

Due to that 40+ years of turning wrenches the skin across the palm side of my hands from around the tips of my fingers and across my palms to my wrist is much thicker and tougher than most people, and not only that but my sensitivity to touch is less than most people.

Thinking about it now that it has finally crossed my mind it makes complete sense that I'm looking for something that gives me more control and a sense of what the pick is doing between my fingers and it also makes sense why I end up at odds with people who just can't relate to my searching for more than your run of the mill pick because, for the most part, their hands are normal whereas mine is not...

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:27 pm

That makes sense. Any real hard work tears up the hands. I've spent years working on so much machinery, and totally agree. Don't forget burns; those are good for melting nerves. My entire right hand (palm side) was given a nasty 2nd degree burn when I was six years old (helping my dad on an engine), and the winter after had a glass bottle shatter in it. The lack of feeling in my right hand was so severe that I could dunk my hand in boiling water and not feel much at all. Around the time I turned 18, something happened, and my right hand is now super sensitive. It helped a lot with pick control, but yeah, the broken fingers, knuckles, cuts, burns, bruises all don't help a thing. I've also had a separated ulna and broken elbow on the right arm. That's what lead me to a Zeus; I had to find something more ergonomic to keep playing.

To being broken!
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:01 am

Now that I've had lots of time playing with my VHB picks I couldn't be happier AND the best thing about it is it's cheap!
Just a little strip on any old pick and it's good to go!

Kconvert

Postby Kconvert » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:59 am

Casual Madman wrote:
Naked Ape wrote:You might like these.

I really liked the Cool Picks with the sandpaper texture, but the big "346" style I like is almost impossible to find in music stores around here (in any brand other than Fender medium). Some reviewers say the texture wears off, but I haven't experienced that.

Before the sandpapery ones, Cool Picks made some with little nubbins of soft material, almost like tiny dots of rubber cement or something - those were virtually impossible to drop, but the nubbins would eventually wear off, long before the pick was otherwise worn down enough to discard.

These look interesting...
monstergrips.jpg

I love those Monster Grips. Kinda pricey IMO but worth it. I use them on all picks.
Carvin DC125
Steve X Custom
Chapman ML-1

Blujay

Postby Blujay » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Thank you for finding this material.
The 3m VHB is amazingly perfect.
I use a 3mm Dunlop Stubby pick which are small.
I hold it loosely and use a Gypsy style rest stroke
which gives great tone but slips out very easily.
Because I want the loose grip I only use the tape on finger side and the pick
absolutely stays in place.
It’s also very comfortable and a single piece
lasts a long time

Good find !

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:22 am

My father in law gets some standard skinny thin pics and puts some kind of sticky, double sided tape that is a bit thick (just like this) and puts it on the top part. Helps keep it from falling out of his hand but lets him keep the tiny skinny pic. He plays an Epi twelve string acoustic and sings(country) with it but he swears by that tape, lol.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Blujay

Postby Blujay » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:49 am

Don’t care for thin picks - but makes good sense on 12 string

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:09 am

The grippiest ones I've played are the Dunlop gel picks - they're actually pretty good, a bit flexy but not super flexy - but I have a bunch of Guitarmory Jazz 3 type ones that are probably my favorite overall. I got a few when I bought a set of their pickups a few years back, and I liked them so much that I bought out Nick's entire stock for like $50 - I'll probably stop playing before I'm done with the darn things.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:59 am

I feel like the outsider here with my "thin" picks that at a time were technically considered heavy or extra heavy :lol: You guys remember when picks rarely came bigger than 1-1.5mm?

I first tried Clayton Acetal picks about 20 years ago and haven't really looked back, they're my primary. The rough texture to the material makes it super easy to grip for me and I just love the sound & feel. When the music store I worked at went out of business I bought out some picks in bulk. So I have:

Clayton Acetal .80 mm <-- primary guitar picks
Clayton Acetal 1.52 mm <-- good for bass or really heavy guitar strings
Pickboy Hi-graphite .50 mm <-- mostly for acoustic strumming, they're too bendy for much else IMO
Pickboy Hi-graphite 1.00 mm <-- when I want a different feel for guitar

The graphite picks are super smooth, but they have a different feel and tone. I don't use them often, but they're good for a change up like heavy acoustic strumming.. I also have a collection of bum trash picks for the "I need a pick" people, lol. :lol:

I think I'm getting a little low on my .80's, I'm going to need to stock up. Maybe get some Ultems too. I also like the Dunlop Tortex picks but I don't have too many of those left.

IMG_20200804_114742.jpg

Blujay

Postby Blujay » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am

That is a lot of picks
I play pretty aggressive and have same picks
for a few years
Maybe thickness and size - mine are small and
3mm thick
I hold pick pretty loose hence tape really
helps
Good materials - Ultem, Polycarbonate , Uhmwpe,palm nut
Made my own out of sheet stock - I cross bevel the tip to
as a slide guide to narrower tip - very nice tone and action

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:17 pm

helldorado wrote:I feel like the outsider here with my "thin" picks that at a time were technically considered heavy or extra heavy :lol: You guys remember when picks rarely came bigger than 1-1.5mm?

What's that? I can't hear you over how enormous some pics are now-a-days. :laughhard:

It's not always about girth, though.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:It's not always about girth, though.

Keep telling yourself that. :lol:

Return to Tech Talk