Active Electronics - Description Please?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

braekyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Active Electronics - Description Please?

Postby braekyn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:56 pm

So, my SCB6 isn't even in the mail yet , and I'm already looking into my next build, and my wandering eye had settled upon the DC127. Now, I've seen the option for active electronics - which seems to make the control layout have 2xTone, 2xVolume, 2 mini coil splitters, and phase switch. Plus some kind of "push/pull active/passive" mode. Can someone explain what this is exactly?

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re: Active Electronics - Description Please?

Postby maxpower » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:21 am

One volume with a push-pull switch to go passive or active. There is one tone control for the passive mode. There is a bass cut/boost and a treble cut/boost for the active mode.

jerryv
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Active Electronics - Description Please?

Postby jerryv » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:09 am

maxpower wrote:One volume with a push-pull switch to go passive or active. There is one tone control for the passive mode. There is a bass cut/boost and a treble cut/boost for the active mode.

This is correct .. but to expand on it, the active electronics option is a built-in preamp .. so it requires a battery. And the push-pull switch turns the preamp on/off, so you can play the guitar in passive mode (no preamp .. just pickups with passive tone control) or in active mode .. with preamp on, and tone controls that cut AND boost. The coil splitting and phase control works in both modes.

braekyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby braekyn » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 am

Ah... I think I'd rather have separate tone and volume controls for each pickup :P Passive is fine with me :)

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby maxpower » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 am

FWIW, I think the active controls give you some more flexibility, yet still, I play my DC127 in the passive mode 98% of the time :-)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 am

You can also add the piezo option to the active electronics which gives you an acoustic-like sound. This does take away the passive mode, though.

EddieJ

Postby EddieJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:28 am

braekyn wrote:Ah... I think I'd rather have separate tone and volume controls for each pickup :P Passive is fine with me :)

I got the electronics in a DC400. I have mixed feelings about it. To my ear, it removes the character of the guitar, it homogenizes the tone. I think it works best when you are playing with heavy distortion; clean or with a mild to moderate amount of overdrive, I turn it off; although, it does seem to boost volume a bit.

The active bass and treble have a 180 degree sweep. The default position for both is at 90 degrees. If you turn it past 90, you add bass or treble, if you turn them less than 90 you remove bass or treble. To me it sounds best at 90. I almost never adjust the bass and treble on the active system and get something I like. My experience seems to be pretty consistent with many. People seem to play with the guitar in passive most of the time and when they do play in active mode, the bass and treble are at 90 degrees. I have not experienced the claims of sonic expansion and versatility. Again, this is what I hear, I am sure there are plenty here who would disagree.

I am considering pulling it out entirely; so, if anyone has an idea for what to do with an empty battery compartment, I'd be interested.

I my opinion you will do better with a passive.

braekyn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby braekyn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:45 pm

EddieJ wrote:
I am considering pulling it out entirely; so, if anyone has an idea for what to do with an empty battery compartment, I'd be interested.

Pick Holder? Jelly Bean Holder? Pez Dispenser?! The sky's the limit!

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:34 pm

EddieJ wrote:

If you play 80s metal, you should be able to get a 1-gram vial in there. :think:

EddieJ

Postby EddieJ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I think I am going to go with Pez dispenser. If for no other reason, I doubt its been done before.

I rewired the whole thing. I put in Duncan Black Backs, removed the electronics. I wired the volume and tone controls for each pick up. I wired the neck toggle to split the coils and the bridge toggle for series/parallel (I never liked the way bridge humbuckers sound in single coil). The third switch I kept as a phase switch.

It turned out better than I imagined. This thing really is a beast.

jfo3000
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jfo3000 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:39 am

I have the actives in my JB200C. I use them sometimes; or not, they are kind of inconsequential to me as they are bass and treble adjustments only - they don't really offer much too me.

I wish the actives had some midrange shaping instead of bass boost which tends to just fuzz things out for me.

So I ordered an ST300 to get a JB200C without the actives (no whammy either).
JB200C, ST300
Some of my guitar videos:
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:44 am

jfo3000 wrote:I have the actives in my JB200C. I use them sometimes; or not, they are kind of inconsequential to me as they are bass and treble adjustments only - they don't really offer much too me.

I wish the actives had some midrange shaping instead of bass boost which tends to just fuzz things out for me.

So I ordered an ST300 to get a JB200C without the actives (no whammy either).

I'm on the other side of this. The active mode does great work for me (as seen in the solo for my Recital, in the Recital 2014 thread :D )

You can open up the back panel and adjust the volume of the active mode supposedly (I haven't done this but have heard this exists) so you can get more punch out of the preamp that's built in. The volume boost is great and being able to adjust bass/treble to shape your tone more is REALLY awesome. IMO the M22SD needs a little bottom boost to clean up the scorching tone of the pup so the actives are really useful imo. I use the Actives quite a bit personally.

Return to Tech Talk