What is this bridge, and what can replace it? 1984 V220

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Karl Logan

What is this bridge, and what can replace it? 1984 V220

Postby Karl Logan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:30 pm

Hello all,

This is my fourth Carvin, stolen off eBay for relative pennies, and I have a question about the bridge. I'm not crazy about it, and would like to swap it out for something different, probably in black chrome. I can't find it in the current Carvin products pages, and don't know how to calibrate or determine exactly what will fit the mounting studs already in place here. Can someone please help me on these points?

1. What is this bridge called and what are its relative advantages/disadvantages? More sustain, etc?

2. What can swap in its place? A Wilkinson? Or the strings-through-body bridge? Or will a Gibson-style stop tailpiece set up be easy to install? What would be the easiest swap?

Any help would be much appreciated.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: What is this bridge, and what can replace it? 1984 V220

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:45 pm

From the museum. Not much to go by, I'll admit.

1981 - 1987

The TB6 first appeared in 1981 on the SH225, and in 1983, it and the FTB6 were the standard tailpieces on all but the 12-string models, replacing the tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece that had been used up until then. It was available in chrome or gold, and black chrome would be added in 1986.

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm pretty sure that those wraparound bridges were Schallers. The key to figuring out what you can do is to measure from the center of one post to the center of the other post. Once you figure out how wide the posts are, you can narrow down your bridge options. Usually, wraparound bridges have posts that are further apart than regular tunomatic bridges. The posts for wraparounds are pretty much the same width as the stoptail bar on guitars like Les Pauls or other guitars with a separate bridge and stoptail. The easiest place to start looking at your options would be to go to stewmac.com and look at the bridges - mainly to determine what your options are. There are plenty of other places to buy bridges from without having to buy from them, but they tend to have a good selection of the different bridge types with all of the measurements for you to compare to. Hope that helps.

Karl Logan

Postby Karl Logan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks a lot for the great info and recommendation. Yup, Schallers they are, it seems. I hope that's not my only option. I'll have to check and see whats' possible.

Much appreciated, guys!

Karl :D

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Any wraparound bridge should fit in its place, although you may have to replace the studs that are sunk into the body if the threads are different. Warmoth sells the version with the fine tuners. Personally, I like that bridge quite bit. One of the heaviest pieces of hardware ever.

Karl Logan

Re: re: What is this bridge, and what can replace it? 1984 V

Postby Karl Logan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:34 am

amon wrote:Any wraparound bridge should fit in its place, although you may have to replace the studs that are sunk into the body if the threads are different. Warmoth sells the version with the fine tuners. Personally, I like that bridge quite bit. One of the heaviest pieces of hardware ever.
Amon, I don't have anything against the bridge design per se, but the adjusting screws for the individual strings seem to be stripped--they sometimes come out the front of the bridge by 1/2 centimeter or more--and need to be replaced. The bridge itself is original, and from 1984, so it could use an upgrade or replacement.

I'm looking into one of the Schaller fine-tuning type in black chrome.

Thanks for your input! :D

ejm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ejm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:40 am

Have you called or written Carvin?

Maybe, just maybe, they would have a spare laying around.

Zaphod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Zaphod » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 am

That may be a Hipshot bridge.
CT6M - Triple Black on Flame
Various Gibbies and Fenders
..and an old Harmony Stratotone
Vox AC30
Egnater M4 Preamp + Randall RT2/50 Power Amp

Return to Tech Talk