Fret Buzz Low E Floyd Rose

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Fret Buzz Low E Floyd Rose

Postby rYche » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:54 am

First Floyd Rose, so getting used to it. I'm getting fret buzz around 3-4 fret to the locking nut on the low e string.

Saw something about using a shim on that side of the locking nut?

Any help would be much appreciated.

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Fret Buzz Low E Floyd Rose

Postby rYche » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Used a small piece of sandpaper under the low e side of the locking nut. No more buzz. :)

shredi knight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Fret Buzz Low E Floyd Rose

Postby shredi knight » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 am

rYche wrote:....I'm getting fret buzz around 3-4 fret to the locking nut on the low e string.

Saw something about using a shim on that side of the locking nut?

rYche wrote:Used a small piece of sandpaper under the low e side of the locking nut. No more buzz. :)

Was it the fretted notes at the 3/4 frets that were buzzing, or was the string buzzing against those frets when played open?

The reason I ask is because changing the nut height will not stop fretted notes from buzzing, only the open strings. Adjusting the truss rod & action at the bridge are the remedies for that (and for the more advanced, leveling the frets). Once you fret a note, the nut height becomes completely irrelevant as far as fret buzz is concerned (unless it's buzzing behind the fretted note, which is something I've only read about, but never experienced firsthand). When a note is fretted, your finger takes over for the nut. At that point, how high or low the string is behind your finger doesn't make any difference (except for playability/comfort). Imagine your fretting the low-E string at the 4th fret and it's buzzing when you play it. And imagine if that string was somehow raising up & down at the nut while you played it. Think about it logically - Would that stop the string from buzzing? Of course not. The strings action is now starting at your finger, not the nut.

If it was the fretted notes that were buzzing, I'm willing to bet something shifted when you detuned/removed the strings to shim the nut. Most likely the the neck shifted slightly forward, giving it more relief. Or even possibly the Floyd Rose bridge is now tilting slightly forward, which would raise the action a little. Either one of those could of fixed your buzzing frets. If the open low-E string wasn't buzzing before, I would take that shim back out. Your only making that string more difficult to fret (unless you felt the string was too low before and prefer it the way it is now).
I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123.... I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123.... I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123....

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby rYche » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 pm

It was the low E string between frets 1-3 that was buzzing open.

shredi knight
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Fret Buzz Low E Floyd Rose

Postby shredi knight » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:53 pm

rYche wrote:It was the low E string between frets 1-3 that was buzzing open.

Well, I typed all that for nothing then.:lol: All you originally said was frets 3-4, which most people would take as when fretted and not open.

In any case, glad you got your problem resolved. :D
I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123.... I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123.... I used to have OCD, but I'm much better now 123....

rYche
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby rYche » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:24 am

Sorry about that. But... some really good info there.

Return to Tech Talk