B50 Neck Design...Did it change recently?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Mike Sorr

B50 Neck Design...Did it change recently?

Postby Mike Sorr » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 pm

I really like the B50 line and I'm considering adding another to my arsenal. Question: did the B50s made a few years ago have necks with different dimensions than the current crop? I ask because I recently sold a trans green with a maple board B50 that seemed like it had a wider neck at the 22nd fret and a wider string spacing than the one I currently own, which I just got used. The one I just got is Sunburst with an Ebony board. Does the choice of ebony affect neck width and string spacing? I wouldn't think it would make a difference.

This one feels like it has a wider neck and string spacing than...

This one...

I'm not sure whether the difference is real or in my head. The green one was immediately comfortable to play, whereas the sunburst is not as comfortable in my hands. It even feels thicker from the back of the neck to the fretboard. It seems reasonable that this could be a function of the fretboard material. Is that the case?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: B50 Neck Design...Did it change recently?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Were the fretboard radii different? I always thought I liked wider acoustic nuts, but it turns out that it was more about the flatter fretboard.

Mike Sorr

re: B50 Neck Design...Did it change recently?

Postby Mike Sorr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Hmmmm, interesting thought. I hadn't considered that. I bought both used, so I have no idea what the fretboard radii is on each of these.

Return to Tech Talk