What's going on with my neck?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

tperrott
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's going on with my neck?

Postby tperrott » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:24 pm

So I'm a little confused. I have two Bolts that I had built and purchased brand new from Carvin a few months ago. Obviously they were built and set up in a very low humidity climate. I live in south Florida where the humidity is high. the guitars have been in their cases 99% of the time in my air conditioned closet. i've taken them out of the case to tune them about once a month. each time i go to tune them, the strings are "sharp" and i have to loosen each string to get them to pitch. I've done this three times and each time i had to loosen the strings on both guitars.

i thought going from a dry to humid climate the neck would get more relief in it and i would have to tighten the strings to get them to pitch. It seems to be doing the opposite and i'm confused. i haven't touched the truss rod.

any help is greatly appreciated.

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: What's going on with my neck?

Postby kennym9898 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Mine do the same as yours. Seems they're still getting acclimated. Mine seem to go flat when in less humidity, and go sharp when there's a rise in humidity. Mine have been in 45-50% humidity for about 2 months, I brought 2 with me on vacation where the humidity has been between 85-100% humidity and have tuned them 2 times since Saturday. Especially the acoustic.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:49 am

It makes sense to me that they would be going sharp in the more humid climate of Florida.
I visualize wood expanding with high humidity and contracting with low.
As the neck expands, it gets slightly longer, pulls on the strings a bit more, and they go sharp.

Eventually, when it is fully acclimated to your local climate, it should stabilize.
Being in the case, and in a closet with only seeing the light of day once a month, this process is probably taking longer than usual in your situation.

John

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:52 am

Here's the real question...what is your brand new bolt doing in a closet, only getting pulled out once a month for tuning? :mrgreen:

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:05 pm

I was wondering the same thing Spudmunkey. A guitar sitting in the closet and not being played for a least a month Even my bass guitar get played more than that and I don't know too much on bass. :shock: :shock: :shock: I understand a busy work/life schedule but you have to have some sanity/madness time.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,

wb

Postby wb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:44 pm

dude get in a band man! those things are meant to be played,banged on, drop,sweat on and everything else but a closet! YOU WILL NOT KNOW HOW GREAT YOUR Carvin GUITAR SOUNDS UNTIL ITS BEING PLAYED IN A BAND CONTEXT AS WELL AS BAND LEVEL VOLUME!!!!
c'mon man!!!
These are my typical gears for most of my gigs...
Warmoth Body/neck
Dimarzio DP 151 PAF Pro Bridge
Dimarzio Area 58 neck/middle
Carvin SX300 2x12
Eminence Legend 1218 speakers
Boss TU-10 clip on tuner
NO PEDALS!

tperrott
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tperrott » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:13 pm

I totally agree they're meant to be played. When I bought them I thought I'd dive back in to playing guitar. It hasn't happened. Either way, it still concerns me that the 3 or 4 times i've tuned them, they've been sharp. they've been at the same temperature since i received them. the only difference i can see is the humidity between san diego and south florida.

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:35 pm

I'd just be a little patient, also figure out what the actual humidity level is in the room too will help put your mind at ease. Last winter I had a very hard time with it being very dry in my apartment (first year there). I have a humidifier in the apartment and it's pretty consistent. A/C will even drop the humidity level in a room through condensation building up on the coils of an A/C unit. If you have gas heat, that will dry things up real quick. I know it's Florida but it does get cold sometimes.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:27 am

My necks do not seem to be effected by humidity as much as temperature. Just a few degrees and it will go slightly sharp or flat. If it is barely off I will tune. After a few min of playing I have to put it back were it was.

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby kennym9898 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:08 pm

I just got back from 2 weeks away from a majority of my guitars. I immediately fired up the humidifier, 27% humidity today. They all were flat but one, take a guess on what brand? :lol:
The Strat was fairly flat on the low strings but not to bad further to the high strings, Ibanez was only slightly flat on all the strings, Washburn bass was a little flat on all strings. The Gibson LP went flat on all string down 1/2 a step :( . My Carvin SCB6 was pretty much right in tune. Now to see where they go once the humidity gets back to normal.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:06 pm

If your strings are going sharp, it's likely because the last time you tuned the guitar, the guitar was warmed up...and now picking it up fresh, it's colder. Metal expands when it gets warm, essentially lengthening the string, reducing tension slightly...so when your guitar warms up, you have to re-tune by tightening the string tension. Then, you let it cool down again in your air-conditioned closet, the strings cool, and tighten back up.

I experience this daily, as my guitars are kept near an exterior wall, where my crapilly-insulated house is slightly cooler than the rest of the room...and every time I pick up any of my guitars, I have to tune them down a bit. it's on my acoustics (both), my classical nylon string (although not as much), my Carvin CS6, my Chinese strat copy, and my friends 1990s BC Rick Mockingbird bass.

MCS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MCS » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 am

I live in South Florida. All of my guitars and basses (Carvin or non) will occasionally go sharp or flat with temperature/humidity changes, with the exception of my composite-necked Zon. Possibly less so than in other parts of the world, but it still is going to happen now and again.

Return to Tech Talk