Question about SS frets

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Question about SS frets

Postby JAEZ » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:53 pm

About SS frets, is it normal to have dents in them? I thought they would be more durable than nickel frets. But on one of my bolt-v that is roughly 3 years old but mostly in its case. For the last 4 months I have been playing it a lot and today I'm changing the original strings :D . Yeah they're still the original ones, shows how much it's been just babied. Anyway, I noticed dents in the frets or grooves. I'm wondering if this is normal as I don't see that kind of wear on my other Carvins that are played a lot more and older.
I decided to replace the strings because to my ears I was getting string rattle at first I thought it was string buzz but this is different, hard to explain. So while inspecting the guitar I noticed the dents on most of the frets except the 1st 4. And the frets don't seem as smooth. I'm wondering if I got Nickel instead of SS, even though SS on the invoice.
What do you think? Notice the fret board is still new, I really baby this one.

Link to pictures.
My Carvin Guitars
My YouTube Channel
internet courtesy does not equate to daily drivers

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Question about SS frets

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Wow. Looks like a warranty issue, at least. Time to call the factory.

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm

is there any oxidation at all on the Frets? SS does not oxidize under normal temperatures/conditions so they should be nice and shiny.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Question about SS frets

Postby JAEZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 am

Casual Madman wrote:Wow. Looks like a warranty issue, at least. Time to call the factory.

I guess you were able to see the dents in the pics right? Kind of hard to take a good picture. Yeah, I'm going to call today. Thanks.
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:40 am

tbonesullivan wrote:is there any oxidation at all on the Frets? SS does not oxidize under normal temperatures/conditions so they should be nice and shiny.

None, no oxidation, frets are still clean and almost shiny not like my other Carvins with SS frets though. That's why I was wondering. I've had the guitar 3 years but mostly a case guitar, I play my other Carvins a lot more but lately I've been playing this one. 1st string change and I notice the dents. :cry:
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

jerryv
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby jerryv » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:07 am

Are you sure they're dents and not just a dulling in the original shine from use? Can you feel anything with a fingernail?

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 am

jerryv wrote:Are you sure they're dents and not just a dulling in the original shine from use? Can you feel anything with a fingernail?

Yeah I can feel them with my fingernail. That's why I posted the question I wanted to make sure it's not normal wear even though the guitar is virtually new before I called Carvin.
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Question about SS frets

Postby Nlelith » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:31 pm

JAEZ wrote:roughly 3 years old ... mostly in its case.
Hmmm, some fret damage may occur in the case, isn't it? That's why some companies put a cardboard piece between the frets and the strings.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 am

Just how powerful is your tapping technique? :roll:

Seriously, your pics are really good and I'll bet Carvin will be able to shed some light on what's going on.
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 am

Nlelith wrote:
JAEZ wrote:roughly 3 years old ... mostly in its case.
Hmmm, some fret damage may occur in the case, isn't it? That's why some companies put a cardboard piece between the frets and the strings.

That's interesting... Even though they're SS Frets? :?:
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:35 am

Coda wrote:Just how powerful is your tapping technique? :roll:

Seriously, your pics are really good and I'll bet Carvin will be able to shed some light on what's going on.

LOL, I'm no Nancy Wilson and don't have hands of steel. :lol:

I called Carvin and funny thing the gentleman that answered the phone was the sales person that helped me build it. Great guy, he's taking a look at the pics. 8)
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:20 pm

well, strings are made of steel, or nickel wrapped steel. The reason why N/S frets wear down is due to the difference in hardness. With two materials more similar in hardness, you don't get the same wear.
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm

JAEZ wrote:That's interesting... Even though they're SS Frets? :?:
Well, steel wound strings can wear SS frets, that's for sure. But nickel wound? Don't know about this... I hope guys at Kiesel/Carvin will help you out with this!

kbeaumont
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kbeaumont » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 am

Are you sure you got what you ordered? Because I have SS frets and don't see that at all. My TLB60 is about 5 years old. I ask because, I have in the past not received all the options I ordered.

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:48 am

tbonesullivan wrote:well, strings are made of steel, or nickel wrapped steel. The reason why N/S frets wear down is due to the difference in hardness. With two materials more similar in hardness, you don't get the same wear.

The strings were the original ones shipped with the guitar. :D
I have other Carvins that are SS frets and don't exhibit this problem but they are played a lot more. That's why I'm questioning if they're indeed SS Frets.
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:49 am

Nlelith wrote:
JAEZ wrote:That's interesting... Even though they're SS Frets? :?:
Well, steel wound strings can wear SS frets, that's for sure. But nickel wound? Don't know about this... I hope guys at Kiesel/Carvin will help you out with this!

Thank you, me too.
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby JAEZ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:52 am

kbeaumont wrote:Are you sure you got what you ordered? Because I have SS frets and don't see that at all. My TLB60 is about 5 years old. I ask because, I have in the past not received all the options I ordered.

That's a good question, they look like SS Frets. My V220, UltraV and CS3 all have SS Frets and don't have this problem, so this is definitely strange to me. My SC90 has Nickel Frets and no wear on them, that is built in 2006 and get's played the most.
My Carvin Guitars

My YouTube Channel

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:09 pm

I've found that no frets are impervious to my worst habit: Setting my guitar down backside facing out. You know, when the roundness of the back of the neck threatens to slide, and you flip it around so it stays put. I know I know, USE A STAND! Well sometimes you just...or you have to...okay sometimes ya just do it anyway! I'm weak! I admit it! Anyway, string divots on the frets. I loathe myself! :cry:

Carry on.... :wall:

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 pm

Nlelith wrote:Well, steel wound strings can wear SS frets, that's for sure. But nickel wound? Don't know about this... I hope guys at Kiesel/Carvin will help you out with this!
Well, remember that most strings have the unwound strings as plain steel, and the wound strings are usually nickel-plated steel, so once you wear through the nickel on the windings, it's just steel.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Its quite possible it was missed during the manufacture. I mean, you cant really tell afterward anyway. Its not like different colored hardware, different bridge, different finish, etc. Could just be an honest mistake. The fret-guy just missed the code, guitar comes off the bench ... onto the next workstation. (I had it happen, they made it right. (ie credit the difference - I did NOT return the guitar))
Last edited by wickid on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Tech Talk