Question about SS frets

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

JAEZ
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Question about SS frets

Postby JAEZ » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:57 am

gotlivin wrote:Ok so does this mean that the frets are actually NOT stainless?? :think:

I have no idea... I sent mine in for them to take a closer look. Even though they're confirmed stainless.
I highly recommend you calling Carvin and speak with your sales person. It maybe possible that they may have received a bad batch of fret wire, who knows. To my understanding SS Frets are indestructible and techs (google search) complain about their tools being damaged by them.
I'm wondering if others have this issue and have not noticed it, say for guitars built between 2011-2012. When was yours built?
My Carvin Guitars
My YouTube Channel
internet courtesy does not equate to daily drivers

gotlivin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Question about SS frets

Postby gotlivin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:32 am

JAEZ wrote:
gotlivin wrote:Ok so does this mean that the frets are actually NOT stainless?? :think:

I have no idea... I sent mine in for them to take a closer look. Even though they're confirmed stainless.
I highly recommend you calling Carvin and speak with your sales person. It maybe possible that they may have received a bad batch of fret wire, who knows. To my understanding SS Frets are indestructible and techs (google search) complain about their tools being damaged by them.
I'm wondering if others have this issue and have not noticed it, say for guitars built between 2011-2012. When was yours built?

I will contact Carvin with this, thanks for the info.
Mine was built in the fall of 2012.

Jazpur
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Question about SS frets

Postby Jazpur » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:53 am

I've had to have a few refrets done in the past on guitars I bought new... on an Ibanez musician, PRS Singlecut, & Martin dread... but the "dents" didn't look like your pics... mine were much wider & more pronounced even at a very early stage of wear. I use nickle .11's (& I never had ss frets until my current Carvin SH65).
STRANGS:'16 A6, '14 CarvinSH65, '14 MM A. Lee SSS, '13 Bishline D. Barnes, '05 Huss & Dalton 000, '97 Martin D-1.

Return to Tech Talk