V220 Wiring Question...

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

neglorpf

V220 Wiring Question...

Postby neglorpf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, forum! My question is:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a V220 with one (1) pickup selector switch, two (2) coil splitter switches, two (s) volume pots and one (1) tone pot? The diagram sheet I was sent has many variations, but none apply to mine.

I have new pickups, pots and switches on the way (est. arrival date 4/20/15), and I would like to ensure that it is wired correctly. Of course, I could remove one wire at a time and replace the components that way, but what if the previous owner did some monkeying around in there before I bought it?

I have owned this guitar since November 1991 - it has appeared on two albums: "Dreams On Long Play" by The Grandmothers, and "Dances With Weasels" by Neglected Orphans - I produced both records, and if you find a copy of either, you can hear why I want to restore it to its original glory! :D

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

re: V220 Wiring Question...

Postby wickid » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:44 am

Not quite it, but I found this diag on the museum under technical documents.
It at least has the 2 Vol, 1 Tone setup, so perhaps combine that with the other diagrams you have.
Or maybe this description from the p/up FAQ.

Basically, it appears you wire the p/ups to each Volume pot, the Volume pot to the selector where the jack hot lead is wired to the middle. The tone control seems to be wired to each Vol. The coil taps can probably borrow from the diags you have.
(Actually, the FAQ wiring appears to wire the jack hot lead to the Tone, then to the middle of the selector switch. Then to each Volume where the p/ups are wired to. Thats how the Tone is shared between the 2 p/ups, and I think it only uses 1 Cap.)
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

neglorpf

re: V220 Wiring Question...

Postby neglorpf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:23 am

Thank you very much for that - it will make changing the pickups and switches out so much easier. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive on the 20th!

Return to Tech Talk