New HH2 and HH1 chambering

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jrg

New HH2 and HH1 chambering

Postby jrg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 pm

Hello to all.
I would like to find out the specifics with the difference in chambering (if any), from the original HH2 and the latest version of the HH2. Does anyone have both models, and or can speak about the acoustic sound between them?

Thanks, Jim

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New HH2 and HH1 chambering

Postby colossal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 pm

I have two of the older models (alder/maple and all-koa) and one with the newer chambering (mahogany/walnut). We have not seen any cutaway photos of the new chambering, but from Jeff and Allan Holdsworth, it is "just slightly more chambered". I don't really notice any significant difference in the acoustic volume between the older and newer model. I use 8 gauge strings and even then, these guitars have considerable acoustic volume. If I went up to 10s, which I may do on the mahogany/walnut, I would expect the acoustic volume to increase. Also, FWIW, the body thickness on the newer, updated model is about 2-3mm thicker and the neck heel joint is slightly more sculpted to improve upper fret access even further.

Hope this helps.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:14 pm

Something likely changed again with the release of the new trem. The old one was essentially top-mounted and just had a little extra carved out under it for the spring.

The new one needs the whole center section to be carved out for the "standard" claw, springs and block cavity.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:04 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Something likely changed again with the release of the new trem. The old one was essentially top-mounted and just had a little extra carved out under it for the spring.

The new one needs the whole center section to be carved out for the "standard" claw, springs and block cavity.

Yeah, that's a good point Spud. I have the new model just before the new model. The Hipshot based HHs have either a true top mounted fixed bridge or the trem requires a C-section on the body cavity. The JCustom models had both the fixed bridge and trem affixed to the body wood. I am wondering how the Hipshot fixed bridge affects the tone, being mounted to the top only.

jrg

Postby jrg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback and info guys.
Yes, I would also be interested in the changes with the new trem as well, since it seems to be an innovative and musical design, and has me interested in possibly using one again. Anyone that can offer their experience with it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

MarkusB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarkusB » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 am

jrg wrote:Anyone that can offer their experience with it would be appreciated.

I'm definitely not a tremolo expert, but the hipshot/kiesel on my new HH is the best I've ever played. Return to pitch is flawless, and I mean totally flawless, the sustain is huge, the action is smooth... My only gripe is the way the tremolo arm attaches to the block: it's just a plain cylinder plugged into a smoothbore hole. Then you have to lock it with an hex screw, metal pushing against metal. So you can tighten it so that the arm is fixed in position, but if you like it to be loose then it won't be secured vertically neither- and there are no "intermediate" settings if you want an adjustable, but otherwise stable arm.

Re: chambering- I can't really do any comparison with another guitar because I never owned or played another chambered but completely enclosed design... Let alone another HH. What I can tell you is that the current (2017) HH has a very peculiar resonance, something like the positive version of the "boxiness" that plagues so many hollowbodies/acoustics/classicals... It gives sustained notes a cello-like, almost vocal quality even when played acoustically. I just love it!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:28 am

For those tool and hardware geeks out there, I know that there exists (from McMaster Carr, and I'm sure others) set screws that have nylon, brass, and roller tips that would likely reduce that "metal on metal" feel.

MarkusB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby MarkusB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:16 am

spudmunkey wrote:I know that there exists (from McMaster Carr, and I'm sure others) set screws that have nylon, brass, and roller tips that would likely reduce that "metal on metal" feel.

Very interesting! Thanks for the tip.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri May 05, 2017 11:18 am

A simple groove around the shaft of the arm at the spot where the set screw tightens would allow the screw to remain loose but prevent the arm from slipping out past the end of the screw. I don't know if the set screw would work it's way out since it would not be tight, however.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Return to Tech Talk