C22B/C22J Pickup Height

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

miker42

C22B/C22J Pickup Height

Postby miker42 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am

I bought the C22B/C22J pickup combo and had a local tech install them into my Ibanez Semi Hollow Body. When playing clean, they distort going into the amp on the clean channel. If I roll the volume off, I have to roll the volume way off to clean up the output from the pickups. I haven't tried lowering them yet. What would be the optimum height for the C22B/C22J pickups?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: C22B/C22J Pickup Height

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Adjust with your ears, not your eyes. :) :mrgreen: Recently on my CS6 with S22, I changed to a different brand of strings (likely a different alloy with slightly different magnetic properties) and the difference was so striking that I had to re-adjust the pickups to get "back" to where I was before.

Don't forget you have lots of individual poles you can adjust, too. :stir:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 am

A "normal," baseline that I use for pickups is a nickel under the treble side, and 2 under the bass side, with the strings down on the last fret. If it clears, that should be a good start.

Higher output pickups can often overdrive a clean channel. I ran into that using some L500 pickups; way hotter than anything else I have (including M22SD), and caused overdrive. Dialing back the volume is a good place to start, and is often a good way to play, so volume/distortion can be controlled from the guitar. I do this with tone controls, too.

Alternatively, the gain on the clean channel (assuming the amp has it), can be dialed back a bit to compensate for the higher pickup output.

Lastly, the pickup height can be lowered, but that will change the response, and lowering often seems to make them sound thinner/brighter (from picking up less string vibration).
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

miker42

Postby miker42 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 am

The advice here is much appreciated. I did end up lowering them but I think I may have gone too far. Looks like I'll be spending some time tweaking. Now to find some spare change...

kadhimj

Postby kadhimj » Fri May 05, 2017 10:31 am

While fretting the last fret, I have both pickups about 4mm below the strings bass and treble side. Adjust to taste from there. They are pretty hot pickups wherever you set them.
2008 UltraV, 1992 DC200 Koa, 1989 UltraV, 1986 V220

Return to Tech Talk