Newbie with Questions

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

valdae

Newbie with Questions

Postby valdae » Mon May 08, 2017 9:09 am

I can’t swing it right now, but I was thinking by September I could place my order. I do have a few questions. BTW, I did a ‘guitar build’ and was shocked to see with all the options I wanted the total came to less than $600.00. I was floored. In any case, some queries regarding the HH2.

Is the ‘chambered body’ prone to feedback? Does the ‘chambered body’ give more of an airy sound clean? Is the tremolo stable (I’d be using .011s)? How does the ‘chambered body’ react to overdrive and distortion?
I’m pretty much sold. The HH2 has got to be the most curvilinear guitar ever designed. The body is almost biomorphic. Years ago, in my 20s, I would have found this guitar totally hideous; lusting after Strats and LPs, but now at 62 the HH2 I find otherworldly beautiful. How things change, eh?

EP

DWG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Newbie with Questions

Postby DWG » Mon May 08, 2017 9:23 am

You will not have feedback issues with the HH2's. I have 2 and they are both chambered. The first is the older HH2 with JSCustom bridge and this guitar has awesome tonal properties. It's the best sounding guitar I own. The second HH2 has the KieselHipshot trem. To my ears, it's slightly brighter or less low-mid sounding and my guess is that the additional routing for the trem is responsible. I've not played the non-chambered HH2 so, perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Bottom line is you will love the HH2. Pickups are fantastic and these guitars play like butter! Good luck.

DWG

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:50 pm

valdae wrote:I can’t swing it right now, but I was thinking by September I could place my order. I do have a few questions. BTW, I did a ‘guitar build’ and was shocked to see with all the options I wanted the total came to less than $600.00. I was floored. In any case, some queries regarding the HH2.

Is the ‘chambered body’ prone to feedback? Does the ‘chambered body’ give more of an airy sound clean? Is the tremolo stable (I’d be using .011s)? How does the ‘chambered body’ react to overdrive and distortion?
I’m pretty much sold. The HH2 has got to be the most curvilinear guitar ever designed. The body is almost biomorphic. Years ago, in my 20s, I would have found this guitar totally hideous; lusting after Strats and LPs, but now at 62 the HH2 I find otherworldly beautiful. How things change, eh?

EP

I don't have an HH2, but I have it's older, fatter brother, the HF2s, which is considerably MORE hollow. I've not had any issues with excessive feedback, and it sounds great(to my ears, everyone is different) with distortion. Of course, it's a different beast than the headless models, but I know those around here who have them seem to love them.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

valdae wrote:I can’t swing it right now, but I was thinking by September I could place my order. I do have a few questions. BTW, I did a ‘guitar build’ and was shocked to see with all the options I wanted the total came to less than $600.00. I was floored. In any case, some queries regarding the HH2.

Is the ‘chambered body’ prone to feedback?
EP

A new build for less than $600? No way.
Doesn't sound quite right to me.

I've only heard of one user who believed that his chambered body was causing feedback. A greg Howe model.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

sean.e
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby sean.e » Mon May 29, 2017 10:04 pm

arahobob wrote:A new build for less than $600? No way.
Doesn't sound quite right to me.

I read that as the options, not including the base price, came to less than 600. At least, that was the only way I could make sense of it...

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue May 30, 2017 1:18 am

Yeah, the model starts at more than double that. :think:

Return to Tech Talk