Quad X Pedal Hack - Raspberry Pi?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

scheater5
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quad X Pedal Hack - Raspberry Pi?

Postby scheater5 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:44 pm

So, I've had a Quad X for a while now, and I love the thing. But anybody who has one knows the midi implementation is pretty lackluster - it was just before the days of robust midi integration. You can change the channels with Program Changes, and that's about it. But, it had a footswitch - FS77 - that had more direct access to the reverb, graphic EQ bypass, etc. I was at Best Buy for something completely unrelated, and I noticed a super simple little USB-serial cable - exactly the pins and size of the connection for the FS77, a jack apparently called RS232.
Well, I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero itching for a project, and I figure if I can get the hardware connected, the rest should be doable. Except, my Google-fu has failed, as I cannot find even where to start on such a project. Ideally, I'd like to be able to send MIDI-over-USB from a footswitch (either a Line 6 Helix or a FBV Express - which is surprisingly programmable) sending CCs, not program changes, to the Raspberry Pi, and then out the USB-to-Serial cable into the FS77 connection to switch channels on the Quad X and turn the EQ on and off (the reverb is kinda lackluster).

So:
Helix - [Midi CC] - Usb cable - Raspberry Pi - Usb-to-serial cable - Quad X

I could have sworn I remember someone trying to make an aftermarket pedal for the Quad X at one time, but I can't find it on the forum or with a Google search. If anyone has done something similar and can help me out, or just point me towards some resources, that would be greatly appreciated.

(Side note - I figure adding in USB-midi to this preamp will up it's value, especially since it is non-invasive. I'm considering replacing it with a Kingsley preamp, since I'm already used to only having access to one channel at a time on the Quad X. If anyone is interested in buying the Quad X once my name comes up on the Kingsley back-order, PM me)

Return to Tech Talk