Carvin DC727 Floyd Rose replacement

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

lez

Carvin DC727 Floyd Rose replacement

Postby lez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am

Hi All.
Im Russian ,so please be kind to my mistakes in english.
After years of use my Carvin( s/n 92211) with locked floyd i decide to replace it with new-cause Mounting Studs and blades are thoroughly dull.
What type of Floyd Rose i can install ? plenty types now in selling
1000 Series 7-String Pro Tremolo System
Special 7-String Tremolo System
Original Hot Rod Series 7-String Tremolo System
Original 7-String Tremolo System
or may be some other with price approx 200$
i will attach some photos with dimensions (whole length approx 104.3mm ; between centers of studs approx 84.5mm)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Carvin DC727 Floyd Rose replacement

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 am

If you want, you could buy a direct replacement from Kiesel. They are currently on clearance because they switched over to the Original 1000 on new builds. No, I do not know if the 1000 is a direct swap for a model that orignally had a licensed model.

http://www.kieselguitars.com/products/FR7C

It's only $69, so you could buy THREE of these, keeping two as spares, and still be less money than a single Original 1000. :D

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Welcome aboard,

I can say that you do not want to deal with the trouble of having the Special model. The saddles are zinc based, and can strip (I've had this happen on a nearly new one). The 1000 series is Floyd Rose's more original equipment, and supposedly use the same base plate as the Original, but use steel saddles, so they don't strip. The fit and finish isn't as good as an Original, but they work well enough.

Kiesel may be selling off old stock, though it might still be a good idea to buy more than one.

A cheaper option would be to buy new posts, and have someone who is good with knife sharpening take a file or stone to the knife edges, and bring them back to life. I've done this myself several times, on more than just a Floyd, and it has worked very well. You need to find someone who is good at serrated knives, as that is essentially how the Floyd is ground.

Hopefully some of this helps.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

lez

Postby lez » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:17 am

Tnx for all of you.
I will try change studs and sharping blades.
if it not help- install new one. but original, 1000 series and pro have another dimensions. its not OK)

Return to Tech Talk