Changing strings on a headless questions

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Changing strings on a headless questions

Postby maxpower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:07 pm

When I received my CL7, the strings did not extend past the locking nut. How do you do that when changing strings?

Once I have the string locked down and tuned, I cut them but I can't get the exactly flush or better still, slightly retreated into the locking nut. Is there a technique?

I also broke two of the wound strings tightening the lock set screws. Did I just tighten them too much? How do you know how tight to get them? Too loose and they slip and too tight, they break.

Thanks
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Changing strings on a headless questions

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:01 pm

To fix the string ends:

1) flush trim wire cutter like these: TDOK TD-109 Wire Cutter Flush Cut Pliers Micro Shear Flush Cutter (5-Inch) Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9NMMNK/re ... 2zb3ZQNARP

2) put the string in the headpiece, pull it pretty tight and cut it as close as you can. Then, pull it back ever-so-slightly, then tighten it. Note: i haven't tried this, but I've heard someone else describe it.

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Changing strings on a headless questions

Postby maxpower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:34 pm

spudmunkey wrote:To fix the string ends:

1) flush trim wire cutter like these: TDOK TD-109 Wire Cutter Flush Cut Pliers Micro Shear Flush Cutter (5-Inch) Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9NMMNK/re ... 2zb3ZQNARP

2) put the string in the headpiece, pull it pretty tight and cut it as close as you can. Then, pull it back ever-so-slightly, then tighten it. Note: i haven't tried this, but I've heard someone else describe it.

Thanks!

Do you know why the strings are breaking? Is it that I am tightening down too much?
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

Return to Tech Talk