Hum with 5 way switch, but not push pull

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

travisfodor

Hum with 5 way switch, but not push pull

Postby travisfodor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 am

Heyo! Just got my first Vader. 5 way blade switch and no tone knob. I get some good hum when im on split mode( makes sense because you dont have anything to knock out of phase and cancel hum) but, on other guitars where I have push/pull I dont get any hum when I split the coils.

A.) Why is this, and B.) Is there anything I could do to change this? I was thinking of converting to 3W switch and adding a push pull.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hum with 5 way switch, but not push pull

Postby Cynical » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Are your other guitars splits or taps? Not the same thing. Sounds like they could be taps, not splits.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Cynical wrote:Are your other guitars splits or taps? Not the same thing. Sounds like they could be taps, not splits.

Also, other guitars might pair coils of the two humbuckers to reduce hum.

travisfodor

Postby travisfodor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:22 pm

Ah yes! It seems like I have coil taps, not splits, oops!

Any way to convert to this? Im still figuring out the Lithiums, I might grab something a bit less bright...

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:51 pm

Which push/pull guitars? In general most implementations are coil splits, not coil taps. Also in many cases coil splitting set ups are mistakenly called "coil tapping".

True coil tapping is actually quite rare. I've only seen it offered as an option on select high output single coils from most major makers. It means on each coil of the pickup, there is more than one end point, so you can choose whether to have the whole coil, or only part of the coil, in the circuit. This can give you a good "vintage" vs "modern" ability in the pickup. You can also have this implemented on two coils pickups, so the hum cancelling would be preserved, but I don't know many makers that offer that.

What some makers do is have a "phantom coil" that is isolated from the rest of the pickup, and they use that to cancel the hum, but without any string vibration signal. This means you don't get any of the phase cancellation you usually get when combining two coils, so it doesn't alter the sound.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:32 pm

True coil tapping for example, on the Gibson custom shop noon reverse Firebird with the three P90s from a few years ago:

Almost bought one of these like three different times:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... verse.aspx
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Tech Talk