Will C22's work for death metal?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

mikeyK

Will C22's work for death metal?

Postby mikeyK » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Hello everyone

I own a Schecter Damien that has stock passive EMG (Hz's) pickups in them. The guitar is bolt-on with a basswood body and maple neck. It is currently tuned to C#. Most of what I will post below concerns the bridge pickup but should I buy a set I will buy a matching neck pickup.

I never bonded with this guitar partly over the fixed tune-o-matic bridge but also due to the passive EMG's. They are ok but I don't quite get the sound out of them that I'd like. And that's kind of weird because Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom apparently uses the passive EMG's. Perhaps that's a reflection on my gear and own playing ability ;). In contrast, I have a Jackson with a Duncan JB4 (which I really like) and an ESP with active EMG 81's (which I like too for that thrashy kind of sound). I play mostly melodic death metal ala Dark Tranquillity et al on this guitar.

I know someone is going to say get the M22's. Well, I have my first Kiesel build on the way with a set of M22SD/V coming so I don't want to get those pickups again. Not that I don't like them - I just wanted some variety in the arsenal. Will the C22 bridge pickup be "hot" enough and articulate enough to venture in to the realms of Scandanivian metal? I'm not looking to go full brutal drop-Z kind of stuff, more like late 90's melodeath and the like. Right now I am really digging the tone on the last two Omnium Gatherum albums if that helps.

Given that the 22 pole pickups are going away and many people seem to say they kick ass (and chew bubblegum), I was considering picking up a set in case they meet my needs. Thanks!

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Will C22's work for death metal?

Postby Cynical » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 pm

One of the guitarists in this band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2xDSlcRg4) has an Ultra V that he frequently uses live that has a C22B in the bridge. It's not reputed as being the tightest pickup in the world, but it should work.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Will C22's work for death metal?

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm

I had C22's in my Bolt+ kit when I first bought it. I play metal/hard rock stuff and found it on the weak side.

For the record, everything I play is in standard or drop 'D' and I don't really use a ton of gain.

Return to Tech Talk