Problems with the headpiece on my VB6.

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Problems with the headpiece on my VB6.

Postby Catman10 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:30 am

I'm having a very frustrating and major problem with the threading for the low-B string on the headpiece of my VB6. Seems that the threading gets stripped out for the set screw at the very top of the slot for the low-B on the second string change because so little of the threading of the headpiece is engaged with the set screw before it begins to have to start putting a lot of pressure on the string. The gauge of string that I use is .130, which is the same as what the instrument is specced with. When I received my VB6, I was able to change the strings once. The second time I changed strings, I had this same problem. Kiesel was nice enough send me another headpiece. I was able to install a set of strings on the bass again. Now I've come to the point of needing to change strings on this VB6 of mine, and now I have the exact same problem again!! Am I the only one out there that is having this problem? To all you VB5 and VB6 owners, do you do anything different when it comes to changing the low-B to keep this from happening?

Yes, I have watched the Vader string changing video on Youtube many times trying to pickup something I'm missing. I do notice in the video that the set screw for that low-B can be turned much more than mine can before it starts to put pressure on the string. With the headpieces I have, the set screw barely gets the first two threads engaged before it really has to grip and start putting pressure on the string.

FWIW, I think the set screw on these Vader basses are way too small, the slot in the headpiece for the low-B way too shallow, the threading of the headpiece much too small, and the metal of the headpiece much too soft. I have a 5-string headless bass from an independent luthier for the past 17 yrs.with the exact same style of headpiece mechanically, except the set screws are much larger and I have never had a problem with it changing strings!

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Problems with the headpiece on my VB6.

Postby brento73 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:18 am

Hmm.... any updates on this? I was thinking about a Vader in the future, but this makes me a little hesitant.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:33 am

brento73 wrote:Hmm.... any updates on this? I was thinking about a Vader in the future, but this makes me a little hesitant.

Sorry “brento73”, no real updated per say. I did request a headpiece be sent, but I have yet to see it. I like the sound and feel of my VB6 a lot, but if can’t either find a solution to this issue or get a solution to it I’m going to have to just repair it and get rid of it. :(

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 am

After requesting a replacement headpiece about a month ago, it finally arrived. Lo and behold it looks as if there has been a change in the set or anchor screws. They have made them larger from 3/32 to a 1/8, and the threading is different. That’s great!! Now they just need to send me out one for a right-handed instrument!!! :roll:

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:47 pm

ARGH. Sounds like a design issue. Hopefully once they get you the right handed piece, it'll be solved.

There were issues like this on earlier Schaller-made Floyd Rose bridges. The base plates were not hardened steel, though they did have steel insert knife edges, so the bolts for the saddles could strip out easily. Eventually they changed the saddle adjustment holes to have hardened steel inserts.
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

When I saw the incorrect headpiece that Kiesel sent me had been updated with larger anchor screws, I got this hair-brained idea to drill out and tap the original headpiece that I have lying around to fit larger anchor screws just like the updated one, with the glimmer of hope that I could use my VB6 (which has been unusable for over a month). So, go through all the bother but there are other issues with that idea and now I’m back at the mercy of Kiesel to send me the correct headpiece. But with all the bother I’ve gone through I’ve got a good mind to go ahead and sell it as soon as it’s fixed because I seriously doubt the updated headpiece is going to solve the problem of anchoring the low-B string, and that’s an absolute shame because this VB6 I have is a great sounding and playing instrument and it’s going to keep me away from trying the new “Zeus” model as well because it will be equipped with the same problematic hardware as the Vader, more than likely. I would love to trade my VB6 in for an X64 equipped the same way, but I know Kiesel won’t go for that. I think Kiesel needs to change the headpiece to closer resemble the one I have made by an independent luthier because I’ve owned that bass for almost 18 years and not once have I had a problem with the anchor screw for any of the strings!! :wall: :? :soapbox:

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for posting about your VB experience, Catman. I'm sorry to hear that this matter has yet to come to a satisfactory conclusion. Though I'd love to get a Zeus or Vader six-string bass, your experience with the headless mechanism makes that possibility less and less likely. Your candor is greatly appreciated, but it stinks that you've had to deal with this situation. I'm impressed with Kiesel's responsiveness, though.

Thanks again.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Catman10 wrote:When I saw the incorrect headpiece that Kiesel sent me had been updated with larger anchor screws, I got this hair-brained idea to drill out and tap the original headpiece that I have lying around to fit larger anchor screws just like the updated one, with the glimmer of hope that I could use my VB6 (which has been unusable for over a month). So, go through all the bother but there are other issues with that idea and now I’m back at the mercy of Kiesel to send me the correct headpiece. But with all the bother I’ve gone through I’ve got a good mind to go ahead and sell it as soon as it’s fixed because I seriously doubt the updated headpiece is going to solve the problem of anchoring the low-B string, and that’s an absolute shame because this VB6 I have is a great sounding and playing instrument and it’s going to keep me away from trying the new “Zeus” model as well because it will be equipped with the same problematic hardware as the Vader, more than likely. I would love to trade my VB6 in for an X64 equipped the same way, but I know Kiesel won’t go for that. I think Kiesel needs to change the headpiece to closer resemble the one I have made by an independent luthier because I’ve owned that bass for almost 18 years and not once have I had a problem with the anchor screw for any of the strings!! :wall: :? :soapbox:

By chance have you received a new headpiece yet? Sorry to pour salt in the wound if you haven't. :)

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:43 am

spudmunkey wrote:
By chance have you received a new headpiece yet? Sorry to pour salt in the wound if you haven't. :)

Yes, spud, I have. Thank you for asking. I received an RA for the left-handed one they sent me in January. When I saw that it had been received, I waited for the correct one. When I saw that the replacement didn’t arrive I waited till after NAMM. Then I called and left a message to the service manager. He called me back saying one had been shipped. Long story short, yes...installed...seems like it won’t have the same issues as before...my VB6 is operational once again and I’m loving the tone!!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:07 am

Huzzah! Does this one also have the larger screws, then?

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:48 am

spudmunkey wrote:Huzzah! Does this one also have the larger screws, then?

Can't wait to learn how the new headpiece solves the former issues. I'm glad you have found a solution to your predicament, Catman. It's clear you really enjoy that bass.

Congratulations.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:13 am

spudmunkey wrote:Huzzah! Does this one also have the larger screws, then?

Yes it does! Huzzzzahhh!! :woot:

[quote="Greg Emm”]
Can't wait to learn how the new headpiece solves the former issues. I'm glad you have found a solution to your predicament, Catman. It's clear you really enjoy that bass.

Congratulations.[/quote]

Thanks, Greg. The new headpiece solves that problem by having a larger diameter anchor screw that has a wider spaced threading on it. The wider threads have a more robust or “positive” contact with the threading on the headpiece. I wish I could post a pic of the difference between the two because then you could plainly see what I’m talking about, but this new BBS version is not very mobile friendly. :(

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 am

Your description, Catman, makes the new version of this assembly easy to imagine. Thank you! And I'm really happy for you. Excellent news.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Meaningless Info Dept:

Two posts up, I stared and stared at Catman's quoting of Greg Emm, and the failure of the php to catch the "quote" coding and enclose it in the quote box.

So I sat and stared at it. I couldn't figure out what the heck went wrong.

Then AH-HAH! in my own effort to quote the post, I found something bizarre:

Somehow catman10 managed to get a different KIND of font in there, which is a "curly" "close-quote" font specifically designed to close a stretch of dialogue or quote. It's almost like it was put in there from another keyboard. They system is looking for those homogeneous, straight vertical quote marks that are the same for opening and closing. Like """""""""""

Somehow Catman's close quote at the end of Greg's name here:

[quote="Greg Emm”]

Congratulations.[/quote]

is an alien quote that got in there somehow.

I would just like to suggest that it is a Crisis Quote Mark, fake.. travelling the country to disrupt whenever there's strife. Sinister meaning behind that infiltrator . . . . how did a font from a completely different keyboard get in there?

(Yes I'm bored here at work, stuck late on a friday :lol: )
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to Tech Talk