HB5 bass pickup is passive, right?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Heavyduty

HB5 bass pickup is passive, right?

Postby Heavyduty » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

I’m guessing it is, but just double checking - I’m considering replacing everything downstream on my AW5 with an EMG BTS, and they offer both low and high Z versions.

Thanks!

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: HB5 bass pickup is passive, right?

Postby Bob C » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:16 am

Yes. Almost all pickups these days are passive. The electronics may or may not be active. Not sure about Kiesel's piezos or synth stuff, but definitely a "yes" on the HB.

Heavyduty

Postby Heavyduty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks - I have had a fair number of EMGs over the years, and I usually don’t change out original pickups so I wasn’t sure.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 am

I remember a long time ago EMG only made active pickups and you could only use the BTS with THEIR pickups. Not so anymore, according to your findings.

But yes, you can check on the "parts & accessories" section of the Kiesel website. I believe it states that the HB pickups are passive. As I said, only the Kiesel electronics are active, with the pull-up volume knob for passive mode (although I guess the Bromberg model doesn't have that feature. Is that right?)

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am

Bob C wrote: As I said, only the Kiesel electronics are active, with the pull-up volume knob for passive mode (although I guess the Bromberg model doesn't have that feature. Is that right?)

That's right.

Return to Tech Talk