Hipshot contour trem problem

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Hipshot contour trem problem

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Glad this one ended well. Give things time to wear in, and I think you'll be quite happy with how stable the Contour can be.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Hey UnexplodedCow, since you are a user of this trem, does this particular situation happens to you a lot:

I tune the guitar perfectly and use it for like 1 2 hours...gotta retune between everysong or so (it gets +2..+3 sharps on some strings). Whenever I use the trem, I get sharp notes somehow... so I just finish the song and tune it back...

Then if I put it down and take it the next day... surprise! Every string is like +2 +3 sharp.

Still sounds like some binding at the nut right?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Yup. That is nut binding, and possibly string slack depending on how you wrap strings. My guitar has sperzels, and I have about .5 to .8 of a wrap on the post, so very little chance for slack. However, my guitars nut was originally cut for 9s, and I use 10s. I had binding in the nut, specifically with G and B strings until I took time to slightly enlarge the slots. That took care of the problem. The contour itself was never a problem. I had nut binding with the wilki, too, and then had knife edge problems, which led me to retrofitting the hipshot in. It's been about 3 years with it in. Best non locker I have ever had.

You may want to take your guitar to a Lucifer (thanks, autocorrect, I really mean luthier) and have them work the nut slots a tad, or if the guitar is still under warranty, Kiesel should do it. Or you can try to wear in the nut yourself if you're handy. Nut lube goes a long way, too (some use nut sauce, I use stuff from Daddario, others use Teflon powder or graphite). It's probably best to try lubing the nut first, and see what happens.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Alienadin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

What is the situation now?

Didn't Big Bend's Nutsauce remedy the tuning stability issues?

I had horrible issues with my Wilkinson tremolo too, but using the nutsauce on the nuts (LOL) fully remedied that, and tuning stability is as good if not better than my Edge tremolo Ibanez Prestige.

How far can you bend up on the g string btw.?

My next build will have the Kiesel/Hipshot Contoured Tremolo as well, and hearing this makes me antsy.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:51 am

Hi,

The situation is still problematic. At this point, a good luthier will probably find the culprit... I just need to find a good one. I was always good a setting up floyd rose with 0 problems about tuning. On this guitar, no string slack, bridge seems fine, lube was used everywhere and it still goes out of tune pretty wildly.

My feeling now is that this is "normal" for a 2 point non locking and that I should have just gone with something I was used to : a floyd rose lol. However, seeing lot of big names using those kind of bridges and staying in tune for a long gig, there is definitely something going on. Mystery! :? :stir:

Return to Tech Talk