Hipshot contour trem problem

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

PO0784

Hipshot contour trem problem

Postby PO0784 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:47 am

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by saying that I'm already waiting on a new bridge from Kiesel regarding this issue... but I'm curious to hear other people views on this.

I received my guitar at the end of october. I discovered however that no matter how much I stretched the strings, I couldn't get the bridge to hold tune correctly. It is technically impossible to gig or record with this guitar as it will not hold the tuning for half a song. Finally, following some advice from Kiesel tech, I dismantled the bridge and found out the the left pin wasn't reaching to the other side (see attached pictures). So right now, I'm waiting on a replacement bridge. However, I'm wondering if that is the only issue or maybe there is something else involved (neck, tuners, nut, whatever... :wall: ).

If you own a contour bridge, please share your experiences? :think:

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PO0784

Re: Hipshot contour trem problem

Postby PO0784 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:32 am

*chirp*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am

Having never used one of those before, I can't can't offer any thoughts.

But I do thank you for dealing with Kiesel first and allowing them the opportunity to make it right for you. And I'm glad the new part is already on the way.

Keep us posted?
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 am

It's the first of that issue I've ever seen. Likely a fluke, and glad to hear its being replaced.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:04 am

Hehe, thanks for the moral support guys... sucks when you sold all your other guitars to get this! hahaha. But, can't blame Kiesel for a faulty bridge. Things like that happens.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 am

Definitely faulty from Hipshot, as those pins are pressed in. I can see that causing instability as the pin flexes or moves in the hole. First time I've seen or heard of that happening, but now we know one possible cause of instability down the road. For what it's worth, they're rock solid when built properly from the manufacturer. I can't see going back to a Wilki.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 am

How does that even happen? Seems like the pin must have been cut too short, but how does it get pressed in that far past the outside edge? I'm guessing the too-short pin was pressed in flush with the outside edge and then got worked in deeper from trem usage?

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am

Hi guys,

Actually it was like that from day one. Never had a contour before so I had no clue :think: . The pin seems to be fixed super hard still. However, can't say what happens under full string tension :shock: . I've tried moving it but nothing is happening. If someone got the same bridge, would that person be kind enough to show me a pic of how it supposed to look on the side hole compared to mine :D ?

Thanks!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:16 am

The pin is pressed in from the outside. On mine, it's pressed in pretty deep, but is still anchored on both ends, and I've had zero issues out of it. Granted, mine is not a *Kiesel* version, as I bought one from Hipshot and retrofit it to my guitar a couple years ago. I took a good look at it with a 20x loupe and saw no space between the end of the block and the pin. I took a few pictures and can upload later, but it's chrome and things may be more difficult to see. I believe yours is defective.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for the check up :D ! I'd be interested in seing a pic or 2 so I can compare with the replacement bridge I'm about to receive!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:47 am

Ask, and you shall receive. They were quick pictures, and I couldn't get any closer without my phone losing focus, but it still should give an idea.

20171215_080323.jpg

20171215_080441.jpg

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you so much ;o)! I see that something is definitely wrong on mine. Hope it's the sole reason!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 am

The only other reason would be strings binding in the nut, or using too large of strings for the nut. I had the latter on the pictured guitar, since the nut was cut for 9s, but I use 10s on it. Some very minor tweaking of the nut grooves helped things out, and some lube on the nut took care of everything.

I haven't had that guitar out of its case for a few months. Took it out; still in tune. You just received a lemon, and that's a hard one to spot unless you're specifically looking for it. I hope the replacement works out for you.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 am

Most expensive lemon ever. Photoshop justified :lol: ... better to laugh than cry about the situation

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 am

PO0784 wrote:Most expensive lemon ever. Photoshop justified :lol: ... better to laugh than cry about the situation

Very useful instrument. It can also be used for:

1. Adding some lemon zest to your favorite recipe.
2. quenching your thirst at a tough gig
3. Adding some flavor to your favorite beverage
4. Preserving the wooden parts by way of acidic pickling.

It's a win/win. Now we just need someone to modify the lemon to gigantic proportions, and then get this thing on the market.

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Trem got shipped by USPS on december 12.. tracking update on dec 13-14-15... then dead. If you find a trem lost somewhere, thats probably mine.... :(

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:27 pm

PO0784 wrote:Trem got shipped by USPS on december 12.. tracking update on dec 13-14-15... then dead. If you find a trem lost somewhere, thats probably mine.... :(

Huh...that's weird. Normally that's with other carriers that use USPS to make the final home delivery (FedEx, DHL, etc).

PO0784

Postby PO0784 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:46 am

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give you a little update. I received the new bridge last Friday and I switched it. So far so good! Big bend nut sauce everywhere :D! Now, I also gotta accept that it cannot hold tuning crazy like a Floyd... that's just a fact. But then again, I don't have all the problems that comes with a Floyd :).

Thank you all for your support.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am

I always enjoy a happy ending. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am

ElfDude wrote:I always enjoy a happy ending. 8)

Likewise. Thanks for the follow-up. Nice to know a (mostly) satisfactory solution has resulted after all that waiting and wondering.

Enjoy!

Return to Tech Talk