Vanquish guitar wiring nightmare

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Leastmetal

Vanquish guitar wiring nightmare

Postby Leastmetal » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am

Had a botch pickup swap done so I’m just gonna redo everything. If anyone has a diagram for a vanquish with the standard wiring (2 hum,1 volume push/pull coil split, 3 way toggle) the older Carvin diagrams aren’t helping and everything I find online never seems to look right.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: Vanquish guitar wiring nightmare

Postby wickid » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 pm

It might just be a matter of p/up lead color code differences?
For C/K -
Red = hot
Black = ground
White / Green = tap leads.
Plus 1 bare shield lead (sometimes also black however).
So you might just need to figure out what the relative lead colors are for your p/ups and re-wire.

(Taps)
You might still be able to reuse parts of the wiring diagrams for reference, as the push / pull pots are just pots with a mini switch attached. When you pull up, the "closer" 2 lugs to the pot housing are linked, and push down = "further" 2 lugs. But the hook ups are basically the same for coil tap (there are 2 sets of 3 lugs).
It probably wires up so the 2 inner coils are on so it uses each "flavor" of coil tap. 1 flavor probably has the middle lug to ground and with the outer (closer / further) lugs to 1 p/up's taps or ground. The opposite side middle lug is to hot, with the outer lugs to the other p/up's hot or taps.
(You can wire up the taps however you like, or omit for either p/up.)

(Hot, ground, 3-way)
The vol pot probably has 1 of its lugs grounded to the pot body. Output jack hot is probably wired to Vol. Then sent to the 3-way toggle middle lug. 1 p/up's "hot" lug from the 3-way toggle is sent to the "mini tap switch" lugs - middle on 1 side. The other "hot" 3-way lug is sent directly to the other p/up's hot lead.
The output jack ground, as well as the other "mini tap switch" middle lug, the p/up shields, and the ground from the p/up that doesn't have its ground lead connected to the mini switch, are probably grounded to the vol pot body. The body is probably grounded to the shield tape, along with a wire from the bridge.

That's a guess based on wiring I've done with my other Carvins (and Kiesel). I do not own a volume-only Vanquish.

Good luck.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Tech Talk