Pots used in Kiesel Guitars

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Big O

Pots used in Kiesel Guitars

Postby Big O » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:37 am

I am contemplating a change to the wiring in a CS6 to a Jimmy Page wiring circuit. Does anyone know what kind of pots are used on the CS6 model? Are they long shaft pots? Do they require a 3/8"" hole in the top of the guitar? An available pre-wired conversion kit to accomplish this has LONG shaft pots and require a 3/8"" hole in the top of the guitar, so that is whay I am inquiring.

/Y\

Re: Pots used in Kiesel Guitars

Postby /Y\ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 pm

When I changed the pots in my Vader, it did not require long shaft. The typical shaft is right about 0.7" (threads + shaft), which should fit most guitars. I suppose you could measure the hole depth, and if it's ~3/8" or less, stnd pots should be fine. Kiesel uses the cheaper style pots that have a threaded dia around 0.305", likely intended for an 8mm hole. So you'll have to open the hole by another 0.075 to 0.08". Rather than use a drill and potentially chip the edge, I just wrapped sand paper around a dowel and sanded the holes bigger.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

I enlarge my pot holes to 0.375" standard bushing. I place painter's tap on both sides of the hole and then use a stepped bit. It is very quick to do.

Irwin Stepped Bit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am

I use a T handle reamer to enlarge holes. No chipping or finish issues. Just wrap some tape around the correct depth, and don't press much while turning. It takes a little longer, but the end result is smooth, and I never had a complaint from anyone about it.

We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk