Questions about SH-575 and MIDI Use

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

DulcetSong57

Questions about SH-575 and MIDI Use

Postby DulcetSong57 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am

I just picked up a Roland GR-55 guitar synth so I'm just now getting around to checking out the MIDI on my three-month old SH-575. I have a lot to learn about the synth, but have a few quick questions for those who have used Kiesel's MIDI setup.

1. My low E string was not registering with the synth. To isolate I went into the synth's tuner where the display shows clearly if the synth is "seeing" the string. By reseating the cable and then pulling it back against its stop, it "fixed" the problem and senses the string now. I'm planning to buy another cable as a spare, but is this a common problem with these 13-pin cables? On my first impression the connection seems a bit fragile. Did I just get a bad cable or what? Any thoughts, suggestions about cables, etc. would be welcomed.

2. Likewise, for a spare cable do you recommend the Roland OEM cable or have you found any replacement cables that work well (and, are cheaper)?

2. The switch on my SH-575 will advance banks up on the GR-55, but moving it the other direction does nothing. I was expecting it move to a lower bank. Would the cable be suspect on this as well, or do I maybe have a problem with the switch?

Thanks everyone - any help appreciated.
Larry

Alienadin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Questions about SH-575 and MIDI Use

Postby Alienadin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am

Hm, curious about this as well.

Anyone?

amayce

Postby amayce » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 am

1. The acoustic guitarist at my church has been using the Roland Synth system for years (predating the GR55) and he has had cables go bad from time to time; he always keeps a spare around. His issue is similar to yours, in that signals cut out, and he wiggles it and it works again. Trying a different cable, at any rate, would show you if the problem is guitar-related or cable-related. The pins can indeed be very delicate, and i worry from time to time that I'm going to bend the ones in my SH475. If your guitar is only 3 months old I'd bet it's more likely a cable issue than a guitar issue (hopefully!)

2. I've never seen third-party cables for these before, but I also haven't searched very hard. I see the full priced ones and also some ~$20 ones on eBay. Buyer beware? If you've paid up for the fully loaded MIDI guitar and the very expensive "brain" pedal, I'd say it's probably worth it to drop the $40 on the cable.

3. The switch is supposed to be both up and down banks, as you described. However, I think there's a setting in the GR55 that controls what exactly the switch does (change banks or change patches, for instance.) I'm honestly not sure if two different pins are controlled b the switch, but if you're worried about your pins not connecting properly, a new cable (which you might need anyway) will at least help you further identify the problem.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

I have the same issue, I think it was also the E string. I got a new cable(sorry, can't recall where), and everything worked fine. The replacement was MUCH stiffer than the OEM, but I think that's probably a good thing, as it will hopefully protect the internal wires a bit better.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 pm

Here it is:

https://btpa.com/Midi-Footswitch/13-Pin-Midi/

Not cheap, but I haven't had any issues with it so far, and I've had it for a couple of years.

Return to Tech Talk