Multi vs One Piece Necks

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Progrockman

Multi vs One Piece Necks

Postby Progrockman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 pm

Besides aesthetics, what are the advantages to multi-piece necks? Is it true that they are less likely to have "dead notes" (notes with relatively less sustain)? Any disadvantages other than cost?

I have a Gibson SG Faded that has a dead note on the G string near the 12th fret. I was browsing on a Gibson discussion group and found that someone else had the same experience. A mechanical engineer chimed in that the note corresponds to the resonance frequency of the neck, and that each of his (one-piece neck) guitars has a different dead note.

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Multi vs One Piece Necks

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 am

If there is a dead-note on any of my 1-piece necks, I have yet to find it. I only buy 5-piece necks now if I'm going for a specific look. Otherwise, 1-piece necks are fine and it frees up money to spend on other options I may want.
*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Proud Member of #teamzaza

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:34 am

Multi-piece will be stiffer, and should be less susceptible to climate changes as well as twisting. In my experiences, both have been true, as the neck deflects less and doesn't change so much during the year. The carbon rods Kiesel uses are also supposed to help with stiffness and climate stability.

This has been discussed several times in the past couple of years, so a search may be more useful to find additional (and possibly anecdotal) statements about the subject.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Progrockman

Postby Progrockman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks. I'll try a search.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, I was going to chime in what Cow said that this subject has come up w threads in the past, and I know I participated in some of them.

Personally I think that this is mostly an illusory advantage, "Prevent the thing you'll never confirm was likely to occur, with a protection whose benefits you'll never be sure you reaped.."

If this was an issue that required (2piece <multi piece) necks, Fender and Gibson would have twist-addled product all over the market (Gibson for the softer mahogany, and Fender for the increased tension, both, and so many others, w classically 1 pc necks to this day).

It looks kind of cool on no-top slab body neck thru's.. that's about the biggest consistent benefit of multipiece.

On the other hand, if you live in a region that you already know is subject to severe swings in weather and drastic seasonal changes (esp combined w humidity surges), and the upcharge is in your budget, by all means go for it. Looks cool and it definitely won't hurt. That's guaranteed! :D
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 am

I forgot to mention about "dead spots," in that I haven't really had that issues with the Carvins I own, at least nothing I could notice. However, most, if not all of my guitars are reinforced neck types, with steel, graphite, and carbon rods.

Two I'm unsure about, as I know steel rods were '96-'97 (some late '95 as well), graphite was '98 until an undetermined time (possibly late 2004, with 2005 models not being advertised as having it). The truss rod itself may be the key here, as the reinforced years used a smaller 2-way rod with a long, black hex bolt. I know that changed to an allen style bolt later on, and that from 2015 on the necks have carbon fiber rods. I may have a non-reinforced neck in my bunch, maybe two. I'd have to really take a look and guess.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk