Decrease high frequency on Lithium pickup

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

BanditZ

Decrease high frequency on Lithium pickup

Postby BanditZ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi guys,
My Vader has 1 volume, 1 tone pull-push for coil split. I want to decrease the sound that too bright on Lithium pickups.
I heard about change 500k pot to 250k or add 750k Ohm resistor at the volume pot. Which one is better?
I have zero knowledge about electronic but I ever changed pots on my other guitar. I think it might not to hard to do by myself. Do you guys have any article to help me especially add 750k Ohm resistor?
Thank you very much for your advice.! :D

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Decrease high frequency on Lithium pickup

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:20 am

I have LIthiums in several of my Kiesels...on some, they sound great and just right, on some others, they sound harsh and brittle. I am just going to change out some of my Lithiums for Berylliums. That should solve the issue. I'm no electronics expert so I am of no help with pots or capacitors, sorry.
*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Proud Member of #teamzaza

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 am

silvergoat2k6 wrote:I have LIthiums in several of my Kiesels...on some, they sound great and just right, on some others, they sound harsh and brittle.

I seem to like the Lithium bridge pickup best in mahogany guitars.
And the neck one in alder. :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 am

Remove the Ceramic booster magnets in the bridge pickup.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49770&hilit=sushi+stick+lithium

If it's still too bright, you should be able figure out from the photos in the thread above how to replace the Alnico-5 magnet with Alnico-2.

BanditZ

Postby BanditZ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:21 am

ElfDude wrote:
silvergoat2k6 wrote:I have LIthiums in several of my Kiesels...on some, they sound great and just right, on some others, they sound harsh and brittle.

I seem to like the Lithium bridge pickup best in mahogany guitars.
And the neck one in alder. :lol:

My guitar is mahogany body. The Lithium pickups still too bright. Now I have to use EQ to control it all the time. :?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:31 am

I have the easiest solution. No need to add or remove parts. If you like the overall sound of the Lithium pickups, but the high end is a bit much.....turn the tone knob down until you like the sound, or adjust the EQ on your equipment, or use an EQ pedal.

This isn't meant to be condescending, but informative, as some people I've met do not know what the tone knob does, as they never touch it. I suggest giving it a try and seeing how it works, and then EQ the other equipment you're running the guitar through. If all of that fails, and you find that you still dislike the pickups; it may be the pickup or the equipment in that case. For me, I had Lithiums and the bridge model had a frequency spike that was mostly unaffected by the tone knob, and the EQ of the amp I was mostly using at the time did not cover that frequency well, either. That left me using an EQ pedal, which became an albatross (and another thing to lug around). I ultimately swapped them out for an M22 set, which solved all my issues, and sounded far more pleasing to my ear.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:I have the easiest solution. No need to add or remove parts. If you like the overall sound of the Lithium pickups, but the high end is a bit much.....turn the tone knob down until you like the sound, or adjust the EQ on your equipment, or use an EQ pedal.

And not to be argumentative, but theres just something about the nature of the Liths (especially the bridge, anyway). I've tried at least some of the above, and in a mahog set neck CT. I'm a tone knob user ... or at least a set-n-forget'er (dial it in until all the p/ups find a happy place). It didn't pan out for me. I didn't really bond with it - it had to come out. And I'm satisfied with what replaced it. It sits better with all the other gear (and their p/ups) I have.
They're also described as being "versatile". :? Not in my experience, really. (again, mostly just the bridge) There are many p/ups more versatile than the Liths.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 am

That's why I expounded further in my reply, it was also to note that, despite trying it, I ran into the same problem (with the bridge, too).

The neck wasn't bad, but I found the M22V to be everything I had hoped the Lithium would have been. I also tried the M22N in a guitar later on, and am blown away by it, too. I'm stumped as to why they haven't been more popular.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:19 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:That's why I expounded further in my reply, it was also to note that, despite trying it, I ran into the same problem (with the bridge, too).

The neck wasn't bad, but I found the M22V to be everything I had hoped the Lithium would have been. I also tried the M22N in a guitar later on, and am blown away by it, too. I'm stumped as to why they haven't been more popular.

I stuck an M22N in my Godin and it's absolutely fantastic!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:52 am

Doctor Doug wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:That's why I expounded further in my reply, it was also to note that, despite trying it, I ran into the same problem (with the bridge, too).

I stuck an M22N in my Godin and it's absolutely fantastic!

They have enough output to work as a low output bridge pickup, too. They're a pretty hot neck model, and remind me of a C22T in the neck (another favorite).

Return to Tech Talk