7-String Floyd rose without vs with acoustic saddles?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Meridian

7-String Floyd rose without vs with acoustic saddles?

Postby Meridian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:33 pm

I was playing around in the builder and noticed that I could combine 7-strings, a floyd and acoustic saddles in a single guitar. I was wondering though, does the floyd with the acoustics hold tuning worse or are there other differences? Even if there were downsides, are they big enough to skip the acoustics?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: 7-String Floyd rose without vs with acoustic saddles?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm

If you get the Floyd Rose with the piezo, it is technically a differentbridge, not just the saddles. Instead of the Original 1000 they use on the 7-string, it's instead a unit produced by (or at least for, and branded as) Graphtech. From what i remember reading, people seem pleased with the quality of the unit. I don't recall reading anything around here about decreased performance specifically because of the piezo system, but I could see how that could add potential for issues because of the individual wires going to each saddle.

It was first made available on the LPM7 Lee Mckinney signature model.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: 7-String Floyd rose without vs with acoustic saddles?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 am

This was the same type of thing as the piezo-equipped Wilkinson. A Fishman unit was used, and I didn't notice people complaining any more about it than the standard VS50. I thought the piezos on those sound pretty good, too.

As a third party unit, I've read some complaints about the Graphtech floyd, but that could be due to installation or use errors.

As an aside, I'd love to see a piezo-equipped Contour, and I believe those can use the same saddles as the PRS ones Graphtech makes.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk