Pickup Rings For SD Pickups

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pickup Rings For SD Pickups

Postby slayer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:17 am

Hi guys. Will SD pcikups and pickup rings match right up to a Carvin? I want to try a SD JB in the bridge of my ST300 and want to know if the SD pickup ring will bolt right up and what heath to get? Looks like pretty low though as the Carvin bridge ring is very low. Also, with the tunamatic bridge. Should I get regular spaced or trem spaced for the SD pickup replacement? Thanks everyone.
Bring Back the "ST" Body!!

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Pickup Rings For SD Pickups

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:19 pm

slayer wrote:Hi guys. Will SD pcikups and pickup rings match right up to a Carvin? I want to try a SD JB in the bridge of my ST300 and want to know if the SD pickup ring will bolt right up and what heath to get? Looks like pretty low though as the Carvin bridge ring is very low. Also, with the tunamatic bridge. Should I get regular spaced or trem spaced for the SD pickup replacement? Thanks everyone.

The pickups and pickup rings should work if your Carvin is newer, because they used to have odd-sized pickups. Someone here can chime in on when they changed over, but it should be fine. Get whatever rings match the height of your current ones. As far as standard or trem spaced, technically you'd want standard but even Gibson's tuneomatics lately have had 53mm string spacing (F-spaced or trembucker), so I'd recommend measuring if you're worried about matching it right or just get a trembucker if you're not that fussed, it'll be fine for 50mm or 53mm spacing.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm

I've had my TL60 for quite a while. It came with S22s. When I swapped to the SD JB, it came with a really shallow flat black colored trim ring. My SD Jazz did not come with one at all. Needless to say, the nearly gloss black and taller Carvin ring did not look good. So, I actually bought a shallow ring from StewMac and had a can of flat black paint. Problem solved but I will admit, kind of a PITA . . . I do like the result though.

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks guys!! It is a 2009. Also, forgot to ask. Are the legs on the SD pickup compatible with the route on the Carvins? I have some use short and others long legs on the pickups. Thank you!

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:07 pm

slayer wrote:Thanks guys!! It is a 2009. Also, forgot to ask. Are the legs on the SD pickup compatible with the route on the Carvins? I have some use short and others long legs on the pickups. Thank you!

If it's got short rings then you'll probably want short legs, or you might have some trouble lowering them far enough.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:29 pm

Weird on this one. No on my CS6. I had to rout a bit to get SD Saturday Night Specials in it. Yes on my TL60. JB and Jazz went right in. The TL is newer than my CS and of course a neckthru but still over 10 years. Think my CS6 was like 2005ish? TL60 was 07-08ish?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:01 am

Carvin enlarged their pickup routes the year they introduced the covered S22 pickups. I don't remember what year that was though.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

slayer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby slayer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:22 am

Cool guys!! I`ll check out the legs and route. Thank you.

Return to Tech Talk