What jobs do you guys have?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

tomcarvin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby tomcarvin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:08 pm

silvergoat2k6 wrote:Nuclear Power Plant Operator at the Palisades Nuclear Plant just outside South Haven, MI.

Nice - I'm at Indian Point. We have a work band that is allowed to practice on off hours on site.

fatfretty
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby fatfretty » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:10 pm

tomcarvin wrote:
silvergoat2k6 wrote:Nuclear Power Plant Operator at the Palisades Nuclear Plant just outside South Haven, MI.

Nice - I'm at Indian Point. We have a work band that is allowed to practice on off hours on site.

I grew up in Michigan, wasn't there a Cook NPP somewhere near Benton Harbor/ St. Joe?

gotlivin
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby gotlivin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 am

Ford Product Development center in Dearborn, MI

I am in charge of a rapid prototype dept. that creates parts for early designs, clay models and show cars for reviews and autoshows. I have 8 machines ( 3D printers ) right now that run 24 -7

I have been here for 21 years, its a great job!!

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Altered_Ego » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm a nurse. I work in an outpatient behavioral health clinic. Not that I've bought a lot of expensive guitars. I have a Cobalt, a Bolt, and an SC90 bought in that order over the last 3 and a half years. Only the SC90 cost more than $1000 and that was just barely. About $1100.
Got it: Cobalt 750TS
Got it: Bolt
Got it: SC90
Got it: Ultra-V
Need it: FG1
Got it: Nomad
Got it: Vintage 16
Need it: AG200D

silvergoat2k6
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby silvergoat2k6 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:04 am

fatfretty wrote:
tomcarvin wrote:

I grew up in Michigan, wasn't there a Cook NPP somewhere near Benton Harbor/ St. Joe?

Yes, it's in Bridgeman.
*Dean* "The Kiesel BBS Ultra V Dude"
6 (yes, 6) Ultra V's, Aries A6H, NZ624M Neil Zaza Signature, CS3, GH3
Solo 6 on order
Proud Member of #teamzaza

Gomeztool
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Gomeztool » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:31 am

Retired Navy. Now I work for a Sheriff's Department.

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Altered_Ego » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Gomeztool wrote:Retired Navy. Now I work for a Sheriff's Department.

Thank you for your service, sir!
Got it: Cobalt 750TS

Got it: Bolt

Got it: SC90

Got it: Ultra-V

Need it: FG1

Got it: Nomad

Got it: Vintage 16

Need it: AG200D

ScottFN308
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ScottFN308 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:15 am

Police Officer.

Police Academy Firearms Instructor

Gunsmith and firearms dealer.
Carvin ST-300 in DTS purple, V3 halfstack, SX-300, various PA gear

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:04 am

By day, I'm a Sr. Product Designer for the North American Axle group at Meritor Co. in Troy Mi.

You could say that I work with a bunch of axles & you'd be right! :mrgreen:

By night.......I'm Batman! :ninja:

X

seprowling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby seprowling » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:43 pm

I am a retired electrician and have also been an oilfield roughneck (Floor hand) and also a OTR truck driver.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:09 pm

bump
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

jc986
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jc986 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 pm

I do technical and accounting consulting work, mainly for law firms. I help implement new software, troubleshoot technical issues, resolve bookkeeping issues, etc.
7 strings: Kiesel DC7X, LTD AW-7, Ibanez RGIT27FE
6 strings: PRS Singlecut, Jackson SL2H, Jackson Dominion Pro, Jackson KEXTMG, Fender MIM Strat, Schecter C-1 Stealth
Amps: Bogner Uberschall, Peavey 5150

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:20 pm

As of two Thursdays ago, nothing. : (

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear that man. That happened to me last summer's end, and a simple Hagstrom (well, a pretty elaborate Hagstrom but the price kept it to where it shouldn't have taken THAT long) took fall and winter to tweeze.

I hope you get back up soon. I'm sure you will. Is the build still a reality? I haven't seen any Anxiety Gifs lately..
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

John B Jr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby John B Jr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks to gnp for the bump. This was an interesting thread - until Spudmonkey had to change his job description to "nothing". :| My vote for most quotable job description is Skully's " Just don't die."

By day, I'm pretty boring. When I say that "I'm from the internet" I mean that big advertising company that everyone loves or hates. Hardware engineering for Google's Chrome/Android team. I do circuit board layout - Chromebooks and various consumer products. They figure out lots of creative ways to overpay me.
Be the bass

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:38 pm

I already posted in this thread, but that information is out of date... After our local currency went "you won't be able to buy guitars anymore, even with increased salary", I decided to go independent. Now I'm not focused on local orders, and my work mostly consists of creating 3D motion graphics / infographics videos and stuff like that.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks Doc. "We" talked about it, and we'll be OK on the new guitar purchase. I'll find...something...hopefully relatively soon.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Well, I'm unemployed now, too, but I'm digging it. I was SO busy over the last 3 years that a bit of chilling' is doing me good. More time to play now, too.
I'll jump back out in the working world in a month or two. :lol:

Dig it, John B jr.....my strategy worked. :roll: :wink:
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:56 pm

I am a bred and born Kansas Farm Boy but [cruel joke] I am allergic to every single crop we produced. So, I literally had no choice but to try to do well in school and was fortunate to be able to do so. I studied music my whole life, piano then sax then guitar but the difficulty of success in music is hard enough without being "in Kansas" so I focused on math and science which led to an electronic technology degree, electrical and systems engineering degree, and finally a MBA [for no apparent reason like everyone else with a MBA].

So, there has been 35 years in the high-tech sector as a technician, electrical designer, systems engineer, and finally senior systems engineer [more for just the advanced age at that point]. But I managed 5 invention disclosures and 1 actual patent along the way in the disk array - data storage arena, made enough money to live comfortably, have managed to make it work with just one gal, but then got prematurely sick and had to retire early.

I would absolutely LOVE to get back into music more than I do, actually record some stuff I have written along with a few covers I have added my own particular bend to, but my body just doesn't cooperate most days. I still do it as much as I am allowed though and we have a wonderful 10 acres in the country with a stocked 1.5 acre pond, a beautiful all brick home that is almost off the grid, and a detached man cave for all the projects I cannot seem to get done like bolt guitar kits and my ole' 442.

Just for the fellow geeks . . . With 2" foam clad concrete walls a foot thick plus being all brick, we almost manage Net-Zero with just 8kW of solar but if/when I get around to adding a 3kW residential wind turbine. more battery, and a hydrogen fuel cell for battery backup [right now just natural gas], we will be off the grid. I actually own SunflowerSolar.com and all the extension variants because the sunflower is our state weed and I really wanted to get into this heavily by now helping others here in the Midwest to get off the grid too but again the health thing is blocking that path too.

So, at this point it is "holding on to the beauty" [one of my songs] of my most recent good day and "the wonder of tomorrow" [one of my songs] for any more days I am granted. Yeah, I know, get 'em recorded! I got my 200T in the late 80s, a DC400T in the 90s I sadly traded for a Peavey Ultra [decision I still regret], my CS6 about 12 years ago, and most recently a TL60T. I have both Lifeson electrics, same serial number [AL230], a 50th R9, a Beck Strat just because it is exactly how I would have one custom made, and most recently a Godin LGXT. Others have come and gone and I will likely soon part with my Lifesons if I find the right home.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:21 pm

John B Jr wrote:Thanks to gnp for the bump. This was an interesting thread - until Spudmonkey had to change his job description to "nothing". :| My vote for most quotable job description is Skully's " Just don't die."

By day, I'm pretty boring. When I say that "I'm from the internet" I mean that big advertising company that everyone loves or hates. Hardware engineering for Google's Chrome/Android team. I do circuit board layout - Chromebooks and various consumer products. They figure out lots of creative ways to overpay me.

My nephew from my oldest brother (the one with the old Hagstrom bass and his oldest son a Berklee grad.. the younger of his two boys), he graduated college about a year or so ago, was working for Best Buy as a recruiter.. was doing so well putting top level execs in place in their company that he was quickly fielded by Google, and just about 2 months ago moved to Austin Tex after going through a seemingly interminable series of interview layers. But he's settling in now and he loves it. He loves the amenties like the Cafeteria, where free food for all three daily meals are served gratis round the clock.. so he has no nut for food during the week.

Me I run the facility for the largest focus group company in NYC.. clients from the biggest cable channels to fast food chains to drug companies all come here to test out new products and ideas before a sampling of the NY public. Tweezed this job as "Facility Manager" by using my years as a true "Facilities Manager" at NBC Universal. The words were so similar that they just had to hire me.

For my other self-imposed job, I'm trying like the devil to finish up this song I've been mixing and overdubbing for weeks now (Green Valley Farms). Hope to have it done tonight. 6+ minute song like H of ASHES.

In other news I texted that same older brother asking for that vintage Kramer Duke headless back... he eh, hasn't answered yet. But I won't surrender this fight just yet. I want that sucker.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to The Backstage Lounge