Gig Disaster Stories!

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: re: Gig Disaster Stories!

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:45 am

Casual Madman wrote:
arahobob wrote:I've seen microphone stands cause all sorts of damage over the years.

Singers are evil. Instrumentals for everyone! :wink:

I have a small chip on my right front tooth from a mic stand. Dastardly things.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:05 am

John B Jr wrote:You are right, Cynical, It was only the flash photography of the tiny nick on the edge that revealed the scratch. This stuff happens to cars, bannisters, whatever but as the tune goes, "The first cut is the deepest." I'll get my hands on some of that Olde English furniture product and see how that goes.

Oh wow, I didn't even see that nick until I went back to look for it upon seeing this post.

Again, I wouldn't worry about it. Even in a close-up photo, it's hard to spot; there's no way anyone watching you play is going to see it. The only difference is that it's gone from being a bass built just for you to a bass that has something that makes it uniquely yours :wink:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Gig Disaster Stories!

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 am

Not so much a gig, but a practice session for a would-be band (that had its own failures).

Get together one night for a practice with the drummer, and we're trying out a guitarist. He shows up with a warped-neck Hondo. Initially he thinks nothing is wrong, and finally admits it. He then asks to use my guitar (a slightly rare Guild S-60D). I give him the OK, he uses his strap, and it comes loose from the strap buttons. I tell him to use my strap, for safety. He doesn't. Ultimately, the guitar fell off him, falling dead on a concrete floor. Fortunately, it had a bad body dent, but nothing broke. The guy's response was "guess you need some strap locks." He made it out of the house alive, at least. That same guitar later had a clock fall (and break) on it, giving it many more dents and finish issues.

I once had a drummer who could *only* do 4/4 time, almost at a specific tempo. Getting him to learn some Floyd was like teaching trig to a 3 year old. After a month of going over the same songs, he finally got most of them, and then reverted to 4/4 time for a 3/4 song, which completely botched it. People who knew me still remind of that to this day....16 years later. This same drummer played at my church for a while...trying to make a rhythm for hymns. You can imagine the weekly failure this represented, as they just kept playing steady 4/4 (think Precious Declaration rhythm) when the rest of the band had stopped. I eventually left that band because he was still there, and they wouldn't ask him to leave, because "that would be mean." It's hilarious to think about.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

hallwayminstrel
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby hallwayminstrel » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Ultimately, the guitar fell off him, falling dead on a concrete floor.

Ok, just curious, how did he not catch it? :roll: First thing that happens is my arm goes automatically to my body if a guitar moves and I catch it every time. Also, my left hand is still holding the neck. :think:
2011 V3M412 - GT12's
2012 SH550CE - S22's
2012 VT16 Vintage 16 Head
2013 Bolt V - S60A's
2013 212E 2x12 Vintage Cab - GT12's
2013 Son's Bolt Kit - S60A's
2016 VT50 Vintage 50 Head
2016 TLB60 - AP11's
2016 1983 Used X60B - 6L6's
2016 Used VT16 Combo - Spring Reverb
2017 MB15 Bass Amp

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:36 am

hallwayminstrel wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Ultimately, the guitar fell off him, falling dead on a concrete floor.

Ok, just curious, how did he not catch it? :roll: First thing that happens is my arm goes automatically to my body if a guitar moves and I catch it every time. Also, my left hand is still holding the neck. :think:

He stopped playing to grab a drink, and the guitar slipped off him. I learned what restraint was that day, in not punching him out.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Mooseboy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Mooseboy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:05 am

Oh, man… almost too many to tell! But I'll give it a try.

1.) Sometime in the late 60's we were playing at a clubhouse out in the country for a frat house "beer breakfast". I remember it was a big deal because the band was making $100! Wow, what a lot of money :roll: Anyway, we were a bunch of underage kids and there was no adult supervision, so we all started to uhm… help ourselves to "breakfast". After a while I took off my shoes and was dancing on the keyboardist's Lowrey Organ. He eventually got me to get off, so I jumped down right into a pool of beer on the cement floor. ZAP! :shock:

2.) A few years on, I was playing in a club with a very low ceiling. I did a Pete Townshend-type jump with my Strat's headstock pointing up… right straight into the fluorescent bulb on the ceiling which came crashing down all around me. What a mess!

3.) A few years after that, we had been… "imbibing" on a long road trip up to a High School Prom. Got to the city, hit the local hamburger joint. It was also the joint where all of the local farmers dressed up in their Saturday night best to take their wives. The keyboardist (same one!) was… well, not in his normal mind and proceeded to accidentally spray mustard all over our table and several tables all around.

We got out of there quick and hit our hotel room, where the keyboardist decided to demonstrate his diving prowess by doing a one-and-a-half from one bed to the other. Unfortunately, his foot went right into the wall, leaving a perfect cartoon-like cutout of a foot in the drywall.

We heading for the gig… all disasters over, or so we thought. Set up our gear on the stage (curtain closed) and began to jam. Had a great time, and lost all track of time until somebody pulled the curtains and there was the entire High School plus teachers and adult chaperones looking at four stinkin' hippies in their unwashed road clothes, smelling to high heaven of rather dubious substances.

The keyboardist grabbed his mike and said, "Oh, hey there! We're… and totally stopped, because he'd forgotten the name of the band. We're… weeeee're… FOOT MUSTARD!

And that became the official band name.

4.) Several years later, different band, low ceiling club again. Doing some Pete Townshend windmills with the right arm, accidentally put my right index finger directly into a live bulb socket (no bulb in the socket). 110 volts went across my chest to my left hand still on the strings. ZAP! :shock: Collapsed on the stage. The other guys thought it was part of the act, and yelled "ROCK AND ROLL!" Meanwhile, I'm trying not to die too much.

So there are four that come to mind right away.

Oh, and the keyboardist from stories 1 and 3? He's a brain surgeon now. Really!

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:35 am

^#3 is fun. But that #4 is... ouch!

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:02 pm

My bass player accidently threw his bass right off of the stage last week. It was awesome!

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 am

Watch this. This was absolutely horrible playing by me, nerves got to me and I totally blew all the lead parts. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I felt so bad after that epic failure, especially because I was using my purple demon and that is my main go to guitar :cry: :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrERNvTm0e4
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Not much has really happened to me while gigging, and I really don't know how that is possible. About the worst I've had happen is getting dramatically shocked by the light riser cage because the sound man lifted the ground on it. I was not happy but elected not to throttle him. Now, the bands I've been in....different story...

1) There is one, actually...I reached around the back of my rig to my DI, and managed to slice my ring fingertip open on my fretting hand. I patched it up and went forward with the gig. A few songs in, I notice my fretboard is feeling sticky. Look down and my finger is bleeding all over the place. Kept going, and had a fingerboard all full of blood later that I had to clean up. It was pretty metal.

1) The other guitarist, in the middle of a set, steps up to prop up his foot on the monitor and take his solo. You know, rock star stuff. Except he missed the monitor, and fell face-forward off the elevated stage (4 or so feet) onto the floor. Somehow his SG survived, and he got back on stage, took a bow, and continued on.

2) Same guitarist doesn't show up for a gig one time, and I realize I'm going to have to play both our parts. It went well enough, but we later found the reason for his absence - his afternoon nap raged wildly out of control, to the point where the phone wouldn't wake him. Oh well....

3) Different guitarist, different band....we were killing it at the gig, but something didn't smell right. Got pretty acrid. His sound started cutting out....and we turned around to see his peavey 2x12 combo self-immolating with a pretty good flame. He had mismatched the impedance on the extension cab. We had to bail the stage and put out the amp with the joint's fire extinguisher.

4) Bassist was wailing away with an old Carvin 5-string with an inline headstock, really getting into his part. He's a lefty. Next to him is the other guitarist, playing an Ibanez RG. Bassist swings around, catching the headstock of the RG with the Carvin headstock. The RG's headstockbroke clean off and was hanging by the strings behind the locking nut. Oops!

5) Same bassist, giving that low E some stout plucks to emphasize the line, has the string let go. It whips upand smacks him across the face, causing him to bleedfrom him cheek. Show continues on with backup bass and a bloody face.

Good times.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:34 pm

That #4 sounds like something Herman Li did to his EGEN18 prototype. They glued the headstock back on and he continued to use it, until some airport in Europe lost the guitar recently :/
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 pm

MatiasTolkki wrote:Watch this. This was absolutely horrible playing by me, nerves got to me and I totally blew all the lead parts. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I felt so bad after that epic failure, especially because I was using my purple demon and that is my main go to guitar :cry: :cry:

Hardly a disaster.
Just need to practice more.

:mrgreen:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:50 pm

arahobob wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:Watch this. This was absolutely horrible playing by me, nerves got to me and I totally blew all the lead parts. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Hardly a disaster.

Well it was more than just that. The song was way beyond what my level was at the time (probably worse now because I don't play anything over 130 BPM right now and the song is about 180) and the leads were far too difficult for me to even bother learning. I made a huge mistake choosing that song and piled on top of that was nervousness and it just went horribly :cry:
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:03 pm

MatiasTolkki wrote:
arahobob wrote:

Hardly a disaster.

Well it was more than just that. The song was way beyond what my level was at the time (probably worse now because I don't play anything over 130 BPM right now and the song is about 180) and the leads were far too difficult for me to even bother learning. I made a huge mistake choosing that song and piled on top of that was nervousness and it just went horribly :cry:

Learn from your mistakes and move on - still no big deal.
Pushing your self and falling short isn't the worst thing that could happen - it's the only way to get better.

Re-read the second post of this thread - NOW THAT'S A DISASTER!
:rockon:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:36 pm

John B Jr wrote:I have to agree that nobody is going to sink lower than texastoast ...

OK, it took me a while.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Gig Disaster Stories!

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 am

Last month's public gig for our group playing in a public park in the middle of downtown. Here's what happened. Quite simple, actually. Homeless guy decides the big outdoor (city equipment) power station standing box for the park is his perfect cell-phone charging station. And he also decides our power line (out) to our board/FOH is his ideal outlet. He simply unplugs our main power, and puts his phone in there.

Everything stopped instantly, mid-song/mid-set. Inexplicably.

After a couple of minutes (an eternity) we were up and playing again.

Lesson learned. Have a stage hand casually hanging out at your main power supply source.

Geeze.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Gig Disaster Stories!

Postby Praiser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Just so much wrong with that guy in your story.
You'd think he would realize what he'd done and plug you guys back in.
Maybe he uses that outlet regularly and you encroached in his territory.
LoL, you just never know....
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:44 am

Mooseboy wrote:2.) A few years on, I was playing in a club with a very low ceiling. I did a Pete Townshend-type jump with my Strat's headstock pointing up… right straight into the fluorescent bulb on the ceiling which came crashing down all around me. What a mess!

That's actually how Townsend came to make guitar-killing part of the Who's act. They were playing a small, low-ceilinged club and he raised the guitar too high and broke the headstock (I think it was an SG). The crowd had zero reaction. He was like, "You bloody wankers, I've just trashed a £100 guitar." So he went a little nuts and destroyed it completely, just to get the crowd to respond.

It became a signature moment in their performances.

Return to The Backstage Lounge