A Crazy Sweet Score!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: A Crazy Sweet Score!

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 am

I use 10's on 'almost' everything. I let friends talk me into 12's for my AC275. (12-54 I believe) They assured me 12's would feel like 10's with the acoustic strings..... BS!!!!
I might try 11's, but I'm tempted to just go to my 10-46 electric strings. Still deciding. (any comments welcome)
I will say, it seems to take less control of fingers, due to the stiffness and lack of movement/bending of the strings. It sounds great, but STIFF.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I've got a sore disc in my back, a sore scapula, and tendonitis in my elbow..

Getting old is great! :lol:
I am walking upright again after a pinched nerve in my back. Thankfully I still recover quickly, but my body likes to take me down memory lane. All the Sk8board ramp/pool slams, motorcycle crashes (Dirt/Street), Soccer, etc etc, come back to visit more and more as I get older. :wall: Life is Great!!!

Doc, I think we're around the same age, so.... "I Hear you". :wink:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 am

Brock wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:I wanted a bigger sound and went from 10s to 11s. I hated it and couldn't bend in key.

I can't remember where, but it's on YouTube somewhere

Anyway, talking about getting a bigger sound..I remember seeing an interview with Billy Gibbons. He recalled the first time he met BB King. Billy was was surprised by the light gauge strings BB uses. He said something to the effect...I thought you'd have a heavy set of strings to get that big sound. BB King replied why are you working so hard? BB was using 8's so Billy went with 7's.

Anyway...you reminded me of this interview and if I can find it I'll post it. I can't tell the story near as well as what Reverend Willy can.

I seem to remember Billy asking about getting a louder sound and BB saying something along the lines of, "That's what that volume knob is for!" :lol:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:21 am

I suspected as much about that burst being a factory job. It was too perfect to be the result of fading or aging, it's way too vibrant for that. Sounds like things ultimately worked out even better than you initially thought. Mmm, lingonberry...love those things, delicious. I think they are the only naturally colored food the Swedes have access to, if not for them everything they eat would be white. :mrgreen:

So I'm not the only one with a broken and battered body at about the halfway point in my life. Between BMX, mountain biking, rock climbing, spelunking, rappelling, car racing, and everything else I can't remember at the moment, my body is starting to cry for mercy. And of course I ignore it and push through the pain to do the same stupid things, which can't go on forever. Ultimately I'll just have to be a guitarist! But hey, everyone else my age has a body that's falling apart too and they haven't done any of the cool stuff or have the stories I do, so it's all good. I definitely earned my pain. 8)
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm

GuitFiddle wrote:I suspected as much about that burst being a factory job. It was too perfect to be the result of fading or aging, it's way too vibrant for that. Sounds like things ultimately worked out even better than you initially thought. Mmm, lingonberry...love those things, delicious. I think they are the only naturally colored food the Swedes have access to, if not for them everything they eat would be white. :mrgreen:

So I'm not the only one with a broken and battered body at about the halfway point in my life. Between BMX, mountain biking, rock climbing, spelunking, rappelling, car racing, and everything else I can't remember at the moment, my body is starting to cry for mercy. And of course I ignore it and push through the pain to do the same stupid things, which can't go on forever. Ultimately I'll just have to be a guitarist! But hey, everyone else my age has a body that's falling apart too and they haven't done any of the cool stuff or have the stories I do, so it's all good. I definitely earned my pain. 8)

I kind of felt that way regarding the burst, but at the same time thought that the only bursts that were made were the tobacco-esque bursts like my other HIIN OT from the same (72) year. But you never know with Hagstrom, they were very responsive to custom requests and you see oddball one-offs... like this vintage late-era Swede in a never seen before or since green:
or this insanely rare purple vintage Super:

On the bodily afflictions, I'm in the thick of it all right now.. I'm going into my third tobacco free week after decades of smoking. My body is going so haywire (cramps all up and down my back, spazzing lungs, emotions spilling out left and right) I went to the emergency room last night (I'm in good normal health). It's just adding to the rest of my little aches and pains but I'm finally coming out of it.

If I had to do it over again I would learn a little bit more about the nicotine levels of vaping (or at least the cartridges for the ecigs I'm using).. I realized much of my trouble sprung from my not substituting anywhere near what my body had been taking in for years.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am

Get to feeling better for sure. I haven't always burned clean myself and have had my stretches of running on heavy fuel at times. Haven't smoked in about 20 years at this point. There's no free lunch though...being an activity freak keeps you in great shape but still tears your body up prematurely, plus you get to deal with injuries and the occasional surgery as a result...even just remaining sedentary will mess you up. Might as well just do what you like, because pick your poison, it's gonna hurt you either way!
American guitars

British Amps (mostly)

What more do you need?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm proud of myself today actually.

I'm managing over at one of my company's other locations, just off 5th Ave., and the last time I was over here I must have had a cig that I had waiting for myself at the desk here... and I must have forgotten it was there, as it rolled away out of site for the past few weeks.

Today, still in the weeds of crankiness and cravings, I found it lodged behind a little desk shelving organizer. Totally didn't expect to find it there... then suddenly "HELLO THERE!"

I was immediately secretly planning my little furtive break and the sheer joy of a satisfying cig snuck after these weeks of suffering.

Then I thought, "Hey greedy little id, GTFO my mind you nasty little sumbitch.." and I crumpled the little bastard up and chucked it in the trash. My assistant for the night, who's been watching me twist in the wind over the past couple of weeks, practically gave me a round of applause when I told him what I did and showed him the tobacco scattered in my wastebasket.

As a dude on a guitar forum told me yesterday, "Burn smoking solos on that sweet new HIIN on that great Carr amp you have, don't wreck yourself with more smoking!"
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Good job! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brock » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmuibsXoDM&t=677s

Here's where I heard Billy Gibbons talking about light vs heavy gauge strings. This is a Live at Daryl's House episode so it's worthwhile watching the whole bit. Great music going on. Anyway...Billy starts talking about strings around the 39:35 mark if you want to skip to it.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 am

ElfDude wrote:Good job! :applause:

Thank you elf! :mrgreen:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 am

Hitting store shelves now in cherry--obviously not exact copies (pups obviously not the same, African mahog instead of Honduran--or arctic birch-- on the originals, no rail/clamp vintage bridge, Resinator instead of legit Braz rosewood board,) but still look so much like the originals.

I wonder how they sound.

Also changed up the logo from the "horizontal decal along the top" of the vintage units, to vertically mounted script badge, a la the vintage 8 strong bass:

EDIT:

They've also added recreated the tobacco/3 color sunburst, on hog, but they're not using arctic birch. Shame, it's a fantastic tonewood.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear