Xcellerator model on it's way out

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Xcellerator model on it's way out

Postby Greg Emm » Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:.5 inch closer than the classic P made by Fen#*r?

To my knowledge, yes. However, I do not have a P at hand to verify my recollection that the split between the coils on a Fender P SCP is 11 inches from the 12th fret.

TTW

Postby TTW » Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 am

Still there.... :D

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat May 26, 2018 5:51 am

TTW wrote:Still there.... :D

where? builder?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Well, the day has come. The Xccelerator is not longer listed on the bass guitars landing page on the Kiesel site. We knew the day was was coming, but I didn't read or hear anything about a specific termination date. Did Jeff announce one on a video stream or anything?

The Xccelerator is a great bass and moved Kiesel forward in a couple positive ways: providing a platform for the SCP in a non-P style bass as well as serving as the first Kiesel model to feature carbon fiber reinforcement rods in the neck as a standard feature.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 am

Greg Emm wrote:Well, the day has come. The Xccelerator is not longer listed on the bass guitars landing page on the Kiesel site. We knew the day was was coming, but I didn't read or hear anything about a specific termination date. Did Jeff announce one on a video stream or anything?

The Xccelerator is a great bass and moved Kiesel forward in a couple positive ways: providing a platform for the SCP in a non-P style bass as well as serving as the first Kiesel model to feature carbon fiber reinforcement rods in the neck as a standard feature.

....by providing the beloved split on a bass that doesn't require a (dreaded) pickguard.....

TTW

Postby TTW » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm so glad, I ordered one. The Xccelerator is such a great bass. It's hard for me to see all those headless basses staying and to let this great design go. Sorry, Jeff, in my opinion the design of those basses is not that cool and aggressive as the Xccerlerator. The good thing is, that the Xcellerator is a very robust bass. So, it will stay with me a long time.

I can't understand, that people prefer an LB to an X44/54/64... but tastes differ.

The Aries may be an alternative, but it has a bolt on neck and surely does not sound that gentle. :)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 pm

TTW wrote:I can't understand, that people prefer an LB to an X44/54/64... but tastes differ.

Yep. Tastes differ.
*Carved edges, points, etc etc. Not for everyone.
*Rounded sides, traditional headstock shape, etc etc. Not for everyone.

If a model sells enough, they retain it. If a model does not sell enough, they eliminate it. Simple.

The LB used to be their flagship bass, like the DC400 was their flagship guitar. Times change. Funny to see a newer model get axed. Why? "Legacy buyers" now have sympathy from dgent players. LOL!

LB? For me, yes please.

claro BEM 1.jpg

jason and me.jpg

never knew.jpg

As you can see, they do draw a bit of interest. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TTW

Postby TTW » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Those carved edges are nice. That's absolutely right. Happy to see, that Kiesel basses do draw a bit of interest. :D

Mine did that, too. It has an deep aquaburst quilt top. I played the X54 in a brass band. Someone said: "In the very bright spot light, it looked like a blue waterfall." :D Alright. :) That was an important proof: A Metal-Axe works in a big band :D

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm

TTW wrote:Those carved edges are nice. That's absolutely right. Happy to see, that Kiesel basses do draw a bit of interest. :D

A Metal-Axe works in a big band :D

I'll keep at this all day if I let myself. :) Please forgive me.

1. Well, both of these beauties are BEFORE they re-branded (2004 jet black LB70P; 2012 claro/HAN fretless LB70). That is to say, "Carvin" was the company back then.

2. IME/IMO no such thing as a "metal axe" etc. That is to say, the tone is in the hands. For example, P bass played by Steve Harris vs Carol Kaye; Ric played by Lemmy vs Maurice Gibb (Bee Gee's). We could build similar lists for other basses.

:)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:27 pm

The Fe*der Jazz Bass has been around a while too. Right hand matters. :)

Headphones please. And I made them all the same guy, so the right hand technique would make my point for me.

Example 1: chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-J_s6S7TsU

Example 2: in your face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ilVMa2D-OA

Example 3: woah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ALi00RRP4

This other guy might help too. Still a J.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJoTxywiRG0

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 am

Greg Emm wrote:Well, the day has come. The Xccelerator is not longer listed on the bass guitars landing page on the Kiesel site. We knew the day was was coming, but I didn't read or hear anything about a specific termination date. Did Jeff announce one on a video stream or anything?

No, the Bromberg line had carbpon fiber rods first. Before the Xcellerator even existed. It wasn't selling, regardless of how nice it may have been.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:47 am

"No, the Bromberg line had carbpon fiber rods first. Before the Xcellerator even existed."

Clarification appreciated. And yes, Jeff has made it clear that models that do not sell will be deleted from the catalog.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Greg Emm wrote:"No, the Bromberg line had carbpon fiber rods first. Before the Xcellerator even existed."

Clarification appreciated. And yes, Jeff has made it clear that models that do not sell will be deleted from the catalog.

Like the catalog itself!

LOL

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:15 am

Greg Emm wrote:"No, the Bromberg line had carbpon fiber rods first. Before the Xcellerator even existed."

My Bromberg is older than the Xcellerator and has them. It was the only one of their basses available with carbon fiber reinforcements at the time and was a big selling point in my decision between that and an Icon. That's my clarification.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000

Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs

Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:55 pm

SEANZILLA wrote:

My Bromberg is older than the Xcellerator and has them. It was the only one of their basses available with carbon fiber reinforcements at the time and was a big selling point in my decision between that and an Icon. That's my clarification.

Yeah. "Clarification appreciated" was my unclear way of saying "Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it." Apologies for any confusion.

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Catman10 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Shoot, I use my X64 for just about anything BUT metal. Below is a link to a video I posted to FaceBook of me and my X64 at an outdoor gig a couple of weeks ago. Pardon the shenanigans before the music started, and for the odd anomalies in the recording (no idea why my phone was doing that) but it comes around from time to time and you get the idea.

https://www.facebook.com/quentin.calva.5/videos/278652069556478/

fizzchem

Postby fizzchem » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:08 am

This is going to be cliche, but if was offered in 35" scale, I would have bought one. Loved the look, loved the neck through construction, and the quality...well you know the quality would be high.

I have never found a 34" scale 5er to have the articulation of a extra long scale bass.

Bass Viking
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Bass Viking » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:37 am

I see there's a 6 string Xccelerator on Kiesel's in stock page. Get it while you can!

TTW

Postby TTW » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am

My X44 arrived three two weeks ago and I want to share my experiences.

The look is really great, but my camera is not able to catch the great night burst finish.

I chose a walnut body and neck and I love it. It has some sort of natural compression in it. If you change from finger to pick to slap, the level is pretty the same. The playability is comfortable, however I will lower the strings a little bit.

The finish is perfect. Looks like bright glass. Really great. The neck profile is a little thicker and wider than a Jazz Bass, what is perfect for me.

Sound is great - and it is just so beautiful - so we have dual use: a great bass and a beautiful wooden statue in the room.

Let's start with the back: Great walnut show!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wubklg6lknk1m1r/kiesel_back.jpg

My camera does not capture the flamed maple top well. In reallity it looks perfekt. Same for the color.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qudy0d673uju7h/kiesel_front.jpg?dl=0

Here's the headstock.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/48s9nj8r45i29o0/kiesel_headstock.jpg?dl=0

I chose evo frets, which can also be found in another version on Warwick basses. I liked it very much on my streamer some years ago, that's why I decided to choose evo frets. It looks great with all the golden hardware and logo. I thought, the color fits well to the color of the trumpetes, trombones and saxophones etc. in our big band. :D

It's pretty sad, that Kiesel will not offer the Xccelerator anymore. However - my X44 an my X54 is ready to groove here. I'm really happy to have ordered it. Unfortunately I never ordered an AC40, which is the best acoustic bass ever made.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 am

Very nice! Great job on the specs!

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses