Need advice on back/sides color for deep clear flame top

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

614guitaroh

Need advice on back/sides color for deep clear flame top

Postby 614guitaroh » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi Everyone- Great forum! I'm pretty much inches away from ordering a guitar but wanted to get some advice here on back/sides gloss colors (pretty much dead set on gloss, as opposed to tung oil or satin). I'm planning a 'deep clear gloss' flamed maple top (on an HH2/headless), and I thought an amber gloss would be great on the back and sides, which would be slightly darker than the top of the body.

The thing is, I don't see amber as an option. Is there another similar finish color (solid) that anyone here could recommend? I'll be phoning in my order, so I can always ask the salesperson. But, I thought I'd check here first for ideas, since "amber" means different things to different people, and you all might have better ideas than me. I don't see too many guitars in the gallery that resemble my build (I don't want a clear gloss back/sides or black gloss), which I agree is a little unusual but hopefully way rad.

Here's my build:
- HH2 righty w/tremolo
- 5-piece maple neck
- Ebony fretboard (less color variation)
- Stainless jumbo frets
- Dot pearl inlays
- Black hardware and pickups
- Alder body (chambered)
- Flamed maple top (clear deep flame)
- Back and sides (??)

-Russ S

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Need advice on back/sides color for deep clear flame top

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 pm

I would suggest Antique Ash or Summer Ash for the body wood. Heck, even plain ash looks cool under gloss.

Or you could do clear over mahogany and then do a 3 piece body layer to set the top apart better. You might consider the 3 piece layer no matter what. But I think its especially important for some of the plain looking woods to go behind your top.

They also have a transparent pearlescent which I personally think looks cool over natural wood. I think that would be really cool on the back and sides with a deep clear top. No matter which wood you choose for the body.

Also, transparent color shift similarly looks cool over natural wood and would be a cool back and sides for this build.

here's an example of a trans color shift back and sides, with a natural spalt top.

and here is a completely trans color shift vader
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1531403 ... 678675285/

614guitaroh

Postby 614guitaroh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 am

Trans finishes can look cool, but I’m pretty set on alder for the body and maple for the neck, and showing wood grain on the back and sides is less important to me. That’s why I’m aiming for a solid (non-trans) color on the back and sides. “Amber” would match a deep clear flame maple top, but again I’m not sure on whether Kiesel does an amber of if there’s another (non-trans) color they do for the back and sides that would be similar.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:59 am

Welcome to the BBS.

Not sure if you found the Color and Wood Guide page. Kiesel's website isn't the easiest to navigate.
https://www.kieselguitars.com/colorandwoodguide/
You can click on each color swatch to see a larger picture of that color.

Vintage Yellow, Umber, or Tiger's Eye might be close to the amber you're looking for.

Vintage Yellow
ty.jpg

Umber
fdu.jpg

Tiger's Eye
fdt6.jpg

Also, Kiesel will do custom solid colors. You just need the color's name or pantone #.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

614guitaroh

Postby 614guitaroh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:07 am

Thanks for that. I think amber as between umber and vintage yellow. I didn’t think of specifying Pantone color. Maybe that’s the thing to do. I was googling and saw a PRS Amber which is pretty much the shade I’m looking for (on the back and sides). Maybe I can find that Pantone. I just want to ensure that it’s overall slightly darker than Kiesel’s deep clear flame which I’ll have on top.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:45 am

If you're looking for a solid color, custom is by far the best way to go. In addition to using a Pantone color, you can also use colors from House of Kolor, or you can even just provide photos / examples of the color you want to mimic and they will do their best to find an appropriate match. Depending on what you're looking for, it's usually $100-300 extra. I think solid colors are $100 while metallic, pearl, and other specialty finishes are $300 or more depending on the complexity.

614guitaroh

Postby 614guitaroh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 am

That’s fantastic, thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:10 am

Keep in mind that a pantone, house of kolor or sherwin williams color for a solid color will work out well, but there are so many variables when it comes to a trans finish, if that's still what you're looking for.

614guitaroh wrote:The thing is, I don't see amber as an option.

For back-of-body finishes, they only have a few standard options: Black, clear, black edges with blackburst/clear back, and sometimes white and antique ash. Just about anything else is going to be unique enough that you wouldn't get a 10-day trial period...and those options *typically* are kept off the builder, so you'd want to call.

Alder is already going to be slightly darker than the maple top, to begin with, and will also have a slightly more pink-ish hue to it, compared to the more yellow-y of the maple. I'd worry that adding an amber color to it would make it look too yellow/orange, unless that's the look you're going for.

For example of how different the ader can look from maple, here's alder body sides with a maple neck:

I know people say alder is often considered "paint grade" wood, but I've really grown to like it a lot. It's like...poor man's cherry, in some ways. Poplar, though...poplar is definitely wood for paint. ;)

Alders color/darkness does vary some, and unless you're looking at a specific piece of wood and have the time/patience to get the tint of the finish just tight, I'd caution that you're more likely going to get something that wouldn't match your particular vision.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 am

I really wish they had a dedicated Trans color as Amber, a little oranger than vintage yellow. So you could spray it over as needed.
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

614guitaroh

Postby 614guitaroh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:49 am

With an alder body, I’m really looking at non-trans (gloss) back/sides and neck. I like a consistency to the look, since the paint is covering alder plus maple. The top will be deep clear flame, so I think that will pop nicely.
EDIT: And I totally get that with no return period. So just bing careful here before I pull the trigger :-)

Omsong
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Check out the back and sides of my Deep Tiger's Eye Flame on it's Alder body. The bright sunlight makes it look a bit brighter (more intense) than it truly is.
1-IMG_2321.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '20 Osiris 6, Deep Tiger's Eye Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+; '17 Fatboy;

614guitaroh

Postby 614guitaroh » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:56 am

Well, "inches away from buying" in January turned into April. Just put my order in. Honestly, 75% for me is all about the feel of the playability, and I love the feel of the HH2 after trying one. But there's that 25% where looks are important, and hell, if I'm getting a guitar made, might as well get something I will like.

What I did for the back and sides is a hidden menu option color called "neck tint". I understand it's also a Fender Custom Shop color, but I don't know what they call it officially. It's not brown or orange, but it's not yellow either. The rear woods are a 5-piece maple neck and alder body, so that will be where "neck tint" is visible...over two different woods, and I like that uniqueness

The front is a deep clear maple flame and ebony fretboard (less color variation). I believe it will fit my tastes, and I checked in with a couple of friends, just to gut check.

Super looking forward to getting it. Thanks for all the advice here! Definitely a big help!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars