What jobs do you guys have?

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby Dometalican » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
Dometalican wrote:Wow...this post was 2 years ago.

For me, not much has changed except that I am a lead in this office. Problem is that the pay hasn't gone up by much (which obviously means that I STILL can't afford a Kiesel) so I'm still looking around. Hopefully the experience pays off!

Sounds like the same boat I'm in. after 2.5 years, I was finally given an entry level management position, with a modest pay bump (less than the guy who left was paid to do a worse job). Been here a year so far, and have reformed the whole thing I have to manage, but it's a thankless job, and I'm right there in that I couldn't go spend for a new Kiesel if I had to, unless I sold off a bunch of other equipment that I've had for years.

So much for "IT" being any sort of a good-paying job. My experience has been far different. Tons of unpaid hours worked, poor benefits, plenty of vacation that I can't use because I'm "too valuable." Yay, America.

Oh there's money. You just have to be an Engineer...or programmer....or web designer...or the computer it-freakin-self...it stinks...but my company is even worse when it comes to pay compared to the market so Imma lookin'
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 am

Made it 30 years (this months) at my co. (programmer, IBM). Been here since I gradiated collij. :? :(
No stinkin raise in 4 years (and next will be 5!, they tend to go out this month), but at least I still have a job (so they tell me). So I got that going for me ... and eternal consciousness on my death bed, which is nice. :?
:D
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

wickid wrote:
Made it 30 years (this months) at my co. (programmer, IBM). Been here since I gradiated collij. :? :(
No stinkin raise in 4 years (and next will be 5!, they tend to go out this month), but at least I still have a job (so they tell me). So I got that going for me ... and eternal consciousness on my death bed, which is nice. :?
:D

The last time I received a raise, staying in the same job position for a while, was 7 years ago. Actually, outside of either jumping companies or switching positions, that is the *only* raise I've ever received, in any job. I've often been the go-to person, though, and people have seen me as irreplaceable (been told that several times). My last two positions, and a couple from many years ago, had to be filled with 3 people to cover what I did. Yet I'm the guy who didn't get the raise. It's been worse since 2008; asking for a raise is often treated much like a beggar asking for some food.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

murf

Postby murf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

I do computer aided design. I'm currently working with Solidworks. I'd love to find the time to learn photoshop as well.

Stonewall_Apone

Postby Stonewall_Apone » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:43 am

I am a graphic designer with a BFA in graphic design. Also an illustrator/painter. Would love to find a work from home creative job, or work with music somehow, but I'm in a city where neither are huge. Also have a wife and 2 kids, so freelancing full time is too risky unfortunately.

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Stonewall_Apone wrote:I am a graphic designer with a BFA in graphic design. Also an illustrator/painter. Would love to find a work from home creative job, or work with music somehow, but I'm in a city where neither are huge. Also have a wife and 2 kids, so freelancing full time is too risky unfortunately.
You may sell your designs on websites that make T-shirts, phone cases, etc. There's no deadlines in this type of income, so it's safe to try it out in your spare time. In my experience the most profitable designs are pop culture references rather than something original, though.

Stonewall_Apone

Postby Stonewall_Apone » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:42 am

@Nlelith I do/have done some freelancing on the side using Upwork.com and I often see t-shirt design type projects. Most of that whole site it low-ball gigs however. You know of any specific sites that are like you mentioned? Might be cool to look in to! Thanks!

Nlelith
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Nlelith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Redbubble is definitely the best one, and maybe check out TeePublic (it's still miles behind, though). Sure, uploader's cut is pretty low, that's why designs should aim for volume of sales, something people are going to actually search for.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 am

Dometalican wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:
Dometalican wrote:Wow...this post was 2 years ago.

For me, not much has changed except that I am a lead in this office. Problem is that the pay hasn't gone up by much (which obviously means that I STILL can't afford a Kiesel) so I'm still looking around. Hopefully the experience pays off!

Sounds like the same boat I'm in. after 2.5 years, I was finally given an entry level management position, with a modest pay bump (less than the guy who left was paid to do a worse job). Been here a year so far, and have reformed the whole thing I have to manage, but it's a thankless job, and I'm right there in that I couldn't go spend for a new Kiesel if I had to, unless I sold off a bunch of other equipment that I've had for years.

So much for "IT" being any sort of a good-paying job. My experience has been far different. Tons of unpaid hours worked, poor benefits, plenty of vacation that I can't use because I'm "too valuable." Yay, America.

Oh there's money. You just have to be an Engineer...or programmer....or web designer...or the computer it-freakin-self...it stinks...but my company is even worse when it comes to pay compared to the market so Imma lookin'

Funny part; I applied to a company for a "Jr." Sys Admin position they were looking to fill. Minimum of 50 hours a week, plus at least one week a month of 24/7 on-call, required additional certs (for which I have the knowledge, but not the cert) that were not reimbursed, required a pretty typical 4 year degree, and paid less than my then-current job of being a basic technician. Also, it was salary, so zero overtime. Shortly after I turned the job down, I was told by someone working there that hours were grossly misrepresented, and that everyone worked 80-90 hours a week, with no comp time given.

Interestingly, the local Wal-Mart pays $15/hr. for untrained, unskilled labor working in stocking the store (overnight shift gets more). The actual stock warehouse people make around $19/hr. Again, unskilled, untrained. So, why does IT (around here) often pay $10-$15 hourly, and require people with degrees, certs, and experience? The IT field here pays poorly. One job I narrowly escaped being docked 50% pay because the company wanted to increase its profit margins. Many people left, flooded the market, and is probably also why the pay rates are so low. After spending 10 years in the field, and receiving 1 raise in that time, yeah, I'd call that a bad choice on my part. Still better than being a mechanic, though.

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Unexplodedcow wrote:Funny part; I applied to a company for a "Jr." Sys Admin position they were looking to fill. Minimum of 50 hours a week, plus at least one week a month of 24/7 on-call, required additional certs (for which I have the knowledge, but not the cert) that were not reimbursed, required a pretty typical 4 year degree, and paid less than my then-current job of being a basic technician. Also, it was salary, so zero overtime. Shortly after I turned the job down, I was told by someone working there that hours were grossly misrepresented, and that everyone worked 80-90 hours a week, with no comp time given.

Interestingly, the local Wal-Mart pays $15/hr. for untrained, unskilled labor working in stocking the store (overnight shift gets more). The actual stock warehouse people make around $19/hr. Again, unskilled, untrained. So, why does IT (around here) often pay $10-$15 hourly, and require people with degrees, certs, and experience? The IT field here pays poorly. One job I narrowly escaped being docked 50% pay because the company wanted to increase its profit margins. Many people left, flooded the market, and is probably also why the pay rates are so low. After spending 10 years in the field, and receiving 1 raise in that time, yeah, I'd call that a bad choice on my part. Still better than being a mechanic, though.

Do not get me started on companies caring about money over their employees. My stupid company did that and us leads looked at each other like: "bruh...this is why people freakin' leave". It amazes me how companies haven't figured out that happy workers = better workforce and less people leaving. Saves money on training, builds relationships, and builds trust. It's not that hard to figure out...
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 am

Dometalican wrote:
Unexplodedcow wrote:Funny part; I applied to a company for a "Jr." Sys Admin position they were looking to fill. Minimum of 50 hours a week, plus at least one week a month of 24/7 on-call, required additional certs (for which I have the knowledge, but not the cert) that were not reimbursed, required a pretty typical 4 year degree, and paid less than my then-current job of being a basic technician. Also, it was salary, so zero overtime. Shortly after I turned the job down, I was told by someone working there that hours were grossly misrepresented, and that everyone worked 80-90 hours a week, with no comp time given.

Do not get me started on companies caring about money over their employees. My stupid company did that and us leads looked at each other like: "bruh...this is why people freakin' leave". It amazes me how companies haven't figured out that happy workers = better workforce and less people leaving. Saves money on training, builds relationships, and builds trust. It's not that hard to figure out...

One word as to why all the above happens: shareholders.

murf

Postby murf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 am

I do drafting and 3D modeling. I've worked on all kinds of projects in the past. Large-scale wind farms, Tidal electrical generation, Offshore wind turbine bases made from floating concrete, modern firearms, airplane floats... currently I'm paying the bills by drafting and modeling grocery store fixtures. It's not glamorous most of the time but, once in a while a great project comes along that reignites the fire.

I've also started to dabble in Photoshop.

Treadplatedual
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Treadplatedual » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 am

I'm a branch manager for a relatively large regional bank - it's pretty amazing :D

In my spare time, I also lead worship for my church, hence all the guitars procured from Kiesel.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: What jobs do you guys have?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am

spudmunkey wrote:As of two Thursdays ago, nothing. : (

Hmm...it appears I haven't posted here since this post.

I've now got 2 years in at a competing furniture dealer. Basically the same position I had before. I get to work on less impressive stuff in terms of overall project size, but much more in terms of creative design...and big is big enough. Just finished a 6-floor furniture project where we sourced or designed every stick of furniture in the space for ~1,000 people, plus back-of-house storage, roof deck furnishings, etc. I'm not connecting with the people as much, though, which is kind of a bummer, but it's not bad or anything. I just don't think I'd yearn to keep in touch with anybody if I were to leave (not planning on it).

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:39 pm

I like stuff that flies. Survived and retired from 22yrs of this:

IMG_20180608_152926_698.jpg

Now doing this:

IMG_20180608_152715_796.jpg

And building one of these for fun :wink:

IMG_20180317_145450.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm

I was a grade two teacher last time I posted here. I'm a grade six teacher now and will be teaching grade seven next school year.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

bsquared62

Postby bsquared62 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:49 am

@Unexploded cow has it right. Public companies, particularly those in software and IT, act illogically all the time. A company has an idea, builds it, sells it, and is fat and happy. 2 years later they are old school and losing market share to upstarts. So they go into stock price preservation mode, and employees get screwed and leave for the upstarts. Then the cycle starts over. I’ve been doing this 20+ years, and it is rare anyone sticks with a company more than 5-6 years.

GaryL

Postby GaryL » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Commercial Real Estate Broker. Hopefully looking to start to wind it down within 7-8 years. Got one more that I need to put through college. And during this time i'm in the wood shed working to get my playing up to speed, so I can go and gig when that fateful day finally comes. :D

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:I was a grade two teacher last time I posted here. I'm a grade six teacher now and will be teaching grade seven next school year.

So, you're stalking your class? :twisted:

Actually, that's not a bad idea - have a teacher start with one grade and take that same class through to graduation. Something like what once happened naturally in the old one-room schoolhouses.

By the time you graduate your third class, you'd be nearing retirement age.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Casual Madman wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:I was a grade two teacher last time I posted here. I'm a grade six teacher now and will be teaching grade seven next school year.

So, you're stalking your class? :twisted:

Actually, that's not a bad idea - have a teacher start with one grade and take that same class through to graduation. Something like what once happened naturally in the old one-room schoolhouses.

By the time you graduate your third class, you'd be nearing retirement age.

It can be a good thing. I've done it before
It depends on the class. Sometimes you don't want them for a second year.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Return to The Backstage Lounge