NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: NGD: HH1X Claro/Mahogany

Postby colossal » Fri May 26, 2017 10:26 pm

hopkinwfg wrote:Wow i remember your awesome two hh1x and now you have another piece to your collection ! So much being a HH1 player do you recommend HH2 to be chambered or just solid ?

I be taking my order soon... i dont know if they do a hh1x now but all i see on web is hh2...

I have had this guitar for about a year now. I still love it.

My preference is for a chambered HH because of the sound and what the chambering does for sustain and the attack.

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Hey colossal,

It looks as though you have the exact build that I was thinking about. Hog with walnut top, ebony board, I'm a jazz player so I'd add the neck pup. I was glad to hear how good the chords sounded on this particular axe. You mentioned you needed more time to figure how you liked the single note lines. You've had some time, could you elaborate on that?

I had a worry that since Allan designed those pickups with an alder body they might not work well in a darker tone wood, from your posts it seems this was not the case. Did you still end up knocking the pots down to 250k?

Thanks

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 am

Nodnarb0007 wrote:Hey colossal,

It looks as though you have the exact build that I was thinking about. Hog with walnut top, ebony board, I'm a jazz player so I'd add the neck pup. I was glad to hear how good the chords sounded on this particular axe. You mentioned you needed more time to figure how you liked the single note lines. You've had some time, could you elaborate on that?

I had a worry that since Allan designed those pickups with an alder body they might not work well in a darker tone wood, from your posts it seems this was not the case. Did you still end up knocking the pots down to 250k?

Thanks

The guitar responds the way my other two do with the slowed attack. That is a function of the hollow body design. It does have a slightly thicker sound and the top end is sweetened and a little softer. It reminds me of the bell-like quality of a Strat. It is just a little smoother where the alder/maple and koa guitars are loud and boisterous with a very spongey but present attack. Notes seem a little fatter and more rounded with the mahogany/walnut guitar. That is probably the mahogany. To contrast, I played a forum member's HH1 with the new fixed Hipshot bridge. It had a mahogany body and neck with a flamed maple top and a single, direct-mounted neck pickup. It also had 10 gauge strings and a 14" radius. I loved that guitar so I think you will do very well with your options. It really sounded great for chords with the thicker strings. Very clear and ringing. That guitar had a KH1N Holdsworth neck pickup which was lovely. For a more traditional jazz sound though, I might consider a lower output, unpotted PAF type pickup with a nickel cover. The tone control was effective but I do not care for the stock bright cap on the volume pot. From factory, the guitar needed some tweaking to get the pickup and pole piece height right (it was much too loud and obnoxious out of the box) as well as the action and relief. On (all three of) my guitars I take the pots down to 250k and there is still plenty of output with the Holdsworth pickup. With the stock 500k volume and tone pots, there is a strong self-resonant peak at 3.3kHz. Way too trebly that way.

Hope that helps.

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:04 am

colossal wrote:
Nodnarb0007 wrote:Hey colossal,

Thanks

The guitar responds the way my other two do with the slowed attack. That is a function of the hollow body design. It does have a slightly thicker sound and the top end is sweetened and a little softer. It reminds me of the bell-like quality of a Strat. It is just a little smoother where the alder/maple and koa guitars are loud and boisterous with a very spongey but present attack. Notes seem a little fatter and more rounded with the mahogany/walnut guitar. That is probably the mahogany. To contrast, I played a forum member's HH1 with the new fixed Hipshot bridge. It had a mahogany body and neck with a flamed maple top and a single, direct-mounted neck pickup. It also had 10 gauge strings and a 14" radius. I loved that guitar so I think you will do very well with your options. It really sounded great for chords with the thicker strings. Very clear and ringing. That guitar had a KH1N Holdsworth neck pickup which was lovely. For a more traditional jazz sound though, I might consider a lower output, unpotted PAF type pickup with a nickel cover. The tone control was effective but I do not care for the stock bright cap on the volume pot. From factory, the guitar needed some tweaking to get the pickup and pole piece height right (it was much too loud and obnoxious out of the box) as well as the action and relief. On (all three of) my guitars I take the pots down to 250k and there is still plenty of output with the Holdsworth pickup. With the stock 500k volume and tone pots, there is a strong self-resonant peak at 3.3kHz. Way too trebly that way.

Hope that helps.

Man, thanks for the response. I'm certainly not looking for a "traditional" jazz tone with this axe, I've already got that. It'll be more to the fusion route with modern jazz cleans in the neck.

I'm assuming when you say "bright cap" you're talking about a treble bleed. Oh semantics. Do you use Fezz Parka (Gibson 50's) wiring? I've found on my jazz guitars i like Fezz but the rock axes have treble bleeds. One thing I gotta do is replace my audio volume lots with linear pots but now I'm rambling. Thanks again for the response.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Nodnarb0007 wrote:Man, thanks for the response. I'm certainly not looking for a "traditional" jazz tone with this axe, I've already got that. It'll be more to the fusion route with modern jazz cleans in the neck.

I'm assuming when you say "bright cap" you're talking about a treble bleed. Oh semantics. Do you use Fezz Parka (Gibson 50's) wiring? I've found on my jazz guitars i like Fezz but the rock axes have treble bleeds. One thing I gotta do is replace my audio volume lots with linear pots but now I'm rambling. Thanks again for the response.

Yes, sorry, by bright cap I mean the treble bleed cap. I have true 50's wiring on my R9 Les Paul and a modified version on the Holdsworths. There is an additional resistor to further modify the value of the volume pot. If you are looking for a modern/fusion/jazz tone, the KH12N would be killer. It is not very traditional sounding like Metheny or Kreisberg or Moreno but has a very full, clear, thick and present sound, especially with heavier strings. Really great for a clean sound.

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 pm

colossal wrote:
Nodnarb0007 wrote:Man, thanks for the response. I'm certainly not looking for a "traditional" jazz tone with this axe, I've already got that. It'll be more to the fusion route with modern jazz cleans in the neck.

Yes, sorry, by bright cap I mean the treble bleed cap. I have true 50's wiring on my R9 Les Paul and a modified version on the Holdsworths. There is an additional resistor to further modify the value of the volume pot. If you are looking for a modern/fusion/jazz tone, the KH12N would be killer. It is not very traditional sounding like Metheny or Kreisberg or Moreno but has a very full, clear, thick and present sound, especially with heavier strings. Really great for a clean sound.

What is the other resistor on the volume pot for? Are you pulling a 500k down to 250k?

Yeah, I'm not going for the jazz box sound of the guys you mentioned. I'm more of a jazz feel guy ala Ed Bickert but I all ready got my jazz tele. I guess I'm going more Tim Miller ish if I had to name a player. Full, clear, thick, and present are the adjectives I wanted to hear. Now to sell of some equipment to raise the funds!

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Nodnarb0007 wrote:What is the other resistor on the volume pot for? Are you pulling a 500k down to 250k?

No, I use 250k pots and bring that down even a little further.

Nodnarb0007 wrote:Yeah, I'm not going for the jazz box sound of the guys you mentioned. I'm more of a jazz feel guy ala Ed Bickert but I all ready got my jazz tele. I guess I'm going more Tim Miller ish if I had to name a player. Full, clear, thick, and present are the adjectives I wanted to hear. Now to sell of some equipment to raise the funds!

Tim Miller is fantastic. The KH12N is probably what you want then in the neck position on your HH. With the stock 500k pots, you will probably be quite happy with the sound. For fun (and variety) I put 10s on the mahogany/walnut. It is quite loud acoustically!

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm

It finally came, thanks for all the insight Colossal!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:33 pm

:shock:

Epic! Congratulations & enjoy ... thanks for the photo of that beautiful guitar.

:coolpics:

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 am

Congrats, mate! :applause:
2015 alder/birch HH1X w/KH12B pickup
2018 mahogany/spruce HH1 w/KH12B pickup

https://soundcloud.com/krzysztof-narbut

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 am

Wow, very nice. I like the grain pattern in that top!

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Im really happy with the how the walnut came out. It’s not your tiger striped walnut, but it fits my minimalist mentality. Hopefully I won’t scar the top up enlarging the holes for some different pots. Thinking about 250k Emerson CT’s pots for her, tame that high end some.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:47 am

Nodnarb0007 wrote: Hopefully I won’t scar the top up enlarging the holes for some different pots

It's quite easy to do. The amount of material that you need to remove to go from the standard pot size (6mm) to standard 3/8" (9.53mm) is pretty minimal. I just remove the stock pot harness and cover the holes on both the top and in the cavity with painter's tape. Then, bore out the top with a stepped reamer or bit.
Thinking about 250k Emerson CT’s pots for her, tame that high end some.

I have PECs in mine now, but might try some Emersons. I have a set of Emersons in my LP and they are fantastic pots. They have a nice, clean and gradual roll off. The log taper on the Emersons is about 30% where the PECs are 10%.

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:57 pm

I’m curious, why did you go with log pots as opposed to audio? I found a pickup diagram, which I think you might of made, on Facebook. I was gonna follow that sans the 220k and 12k resistors, I figured I could add those if needed later. The diagram also has audio pots but in the description it mentions log pots but with the 220k resistor it makes it act like an audio pot, or something of the sort. I wasn’t very clear on that part. Could you clear that up for me? Again, I appreciate all the help!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Nodnarb0007 wrote:I’m curious, why did you go with log pots as opposed to audio?

I believe they are the same, no? Are you thinking of linear?

Nodnarb0007

Postby Nodnarb0007 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction spudmonkey. Im mixing up log and linear, it’s been awhile since Ive messed with pots.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery