Just cool wood

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Corney

Re: Just cool wood

Postby Corney » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 am

That looks like a great woodworking setup, I had just that for many years.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Corney wrote:That looks like a great woodworking setup, I had just that for many years.

It would be better if I had some way to work in the shade. It's just too windy here that any sort of canopy isnt practical...at least, none that can be put up by one person, in less than, like, 20 minutes. :( Sun and wind makes it very hard to get a good looking finish on anything.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 pm

While at Woodcraft to buy some nicer drawer slides to "hot rod" my el-cheap-o nightstand, I noticed they expanded their lumber section.

20200223_113007.jpg

20200223_112815.jpg

Screenshot_20200223-185758_Gallery.jpg

20200223_112919.jpg

I always wished this stuff came in bigger pieces than these pen/handle turning blanks, but I imagine they would be big bucks...
20200223_113104.jpg

Flamed ash baseball bat billet/blank:
Screenshot_20200223-185553_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:47 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Flamed ash baseball bat billet/blank:
Screenshot_20200223-185553_Gallery.jpg

ooh I wonder if that would work for a neck.

I mean they use it in freakin' baseball bats, right? You'd think it'd be fine.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun May 10, 2020 11:32 pm

About 2 years ago, I started making a "wall art" piece for above the sofa.

It got put on hold when we started a home remodel, and finally picked it back up this weekend.

It's all ash end grain facing out.

Unfortunately, this project was for "her", and she wanted to stain the wood darker. IMO it looks a lot worse, but, eh...still looking forward to getting it finished. The ash is really cool.

It's got a false back, and then solid wood blocks will wrap around the sides to hide the mounting hardware, sit tight to the wall, and so it looks 3" thick.

Hopefully finishing it next weekend, if it doesnt rain...

Chelydra

Postby Chelydra » Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 am

spudmunkey wrote:About 2 years ago, I started making a "wall art" piece for above the sofa.

It got put on hold when we started a home remodel, and finally picked it back up this weekend.

It's all ash end grain facing out.

Unfortunately, this project was for "her", and she wanted to stain the wood darker. IMO it looks a lot worse, but, eh...still looking forward to getting it finished. The ash is really cool.

It's got a false back, and then solid wood blocks will wrap around the sides to hide the mounting hardware, sit tight to the wall, and so it looks 3" thick.

Hopefully finishing it next weekend, if it doesnt rain...

Maybe try to convince her to let you do a gradation or pattern of stained and natural?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon May 11, 2020 11:39 am

Chelydra wrote:
Maybe try to convince her to let you do a gradation or pattern of stained and natural?

She's got a specific look in her head. She's also a commercial interior designer by trade with 10+ years under her belt, and has a BFA degree in interior design from one of the few art schools with an interiors program. I'm lucky I'm even given the option of a veto on some interior design things, and this isn't hill I wanted to die on. :lol:

Chelydra

Postby Chelydra » Mon May 11, 2020 11:42 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Chelydra wrote:

She's got a specific look in her head. She's also a commercial interior designer by trade with 10+ years under her belt, and has a BFA degree in interior design from one of the few art schools with an interiors program. I'm lucky I'm even given the option of a veto on some interior design things, and this isn't hill I wanted to die on. :lol:

See, that's where I throw 20 different ideas/pictures at the 'ol lady so it's still "her decision."

For instance, my family's garden layout. She sure as hell didn't know what I meant by multiple iterations of a Hilbert Curve. :lol:

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Tue May 12, 2020 1:10 am

Finally redoing our floor too. This is an engineered product by Bruce that is water/chemical proof and scratch resistant yet hard pressed to distinguish from solid oak. So far so good.

Would love to make a geetar out of this. Almost looks like it needs at least a PG13 rating, huh?

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue May 12, 2020 9:35 am

canon_mutant wrote:...
Would love to make a geetar out of this. Almost looks like it needs at least a PG13 rating, huh?

And some Seymore Butts p/ups. :mrgreen:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:12 pm

It's finally done.

912 days since we bought the wood, although as I mentioned, it was interrupted by every room in the house getting remodeled and increased square footage by, like, 30%, installed new flooring throughout, and an all-new roof...all while still living here.

full gallery and some repeated progress photos:
https://imgur.com/gallery/sQtQHLp#wW19gHR

20200628_171028.jpg

20200628_163801.jpg

20200628_163318.jpg

20200628_162743.jpg

20200628_170909.jpg

I promise this is the last post about it. Ha!

And one more...just playing with the Pixaloop app. :)
https://youtu.be/79dkJSfvaMw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 am

Very nice! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Looks even cooler with that geetar sitting in front . . . :applause:

Since I have to do everything twice [some unwritten rule] I got to redo my previous flooring pic after that particular room was done. Floating floor so I could still reuse all the flooring. Problem was a padded vapor barrier that has a light foil for the barrier that makes a squish squish squish you could hear on every step. Drove me nuts. Took it all back apart, got my money back for it, and am doing 2.0. It's just the way of things . . .

It was 5 star rated "on Lowes" and what the flooring guy at Lowes recommended. Of course, he could have been flipping burgers the previous week too . . .

Anyway, new stuff is nice and quiet and I also promise this will be my last post on this topic . . . :roll:

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:05 am

spudmunkey wrote:It's finally done.

I promise this is the last post about it. Ha!

And one more...just playing with the Pixaloop app. :)
https://youtu.be/79dkJSfvaMw

Looks great! That table looks beveled. :lol: :mrgreen:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:13 am

wickid wrote:
Looks great! That table looks beveled. :lol: :mrgreen:

ha! Indeed. It's got sort of a Vanquish-y shape. Sort of an asymetrical guitar pic. But the bottom edge is like if you took the back of a DC127 with the rounded body sides option, but than on the top, have it BBE. :lol: Not gonna lie, it's a configuration I've actually thought about, inspired by a Mayones Regius guitars. :lol:

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:41 pm

Well, after the storm we Craptimum Offline users in the NY / NJ area are stuck with no (Altice) tv and internet, so the staying at home just got that much worse. Thankfully I never bundled and still have Verizon for phone and an alternate ISP.
So, I just ordered 1 of these, they look sharp online anyway. And I don't even need a watch, but its only ~$100. I'm not even into stylish watches or anything. Aint no fashion maven. :mrgreen:

https://www.mytruwood.com/collections/a ... oden-watch

I was looking at something else at Lands End, and they had a link to this Truwood, so I gave it a try.
Anyway, it fits the theme of this thread. Anybody hear of these, actually buy one?
I think they are in Canada?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm sure it likely uses the same "movement" as everybody else, so then it just comes down to personal style. :) did you go with the "black" or "olive" one?

I'm not a watch guy, but somehow have amassed a collection of 7 watches. WTF? just because I liked the looks, and convinced myself I was a watch guy...and then never really wore them. Ha!

I imagine a wooden watch would be lighter than something with an equivilent stainless steel band, if maybe a little bit chunkier.

Definitely look cool!

Now you'll need a coordinating lumber jacket (pun: intended).

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:16 pm

I went with the Hybrid - black sandalwood + olive (looks "wavy", almost a quilt quality).
Imagine they had a "pick your woods and dial" operation? :wink: :twisted:

I'm not into watches at all really. I have 1 - takes no batteries, charges in light. JC Penney $125-ish.
I saw this and I bit. A boring-day purchase, for sure. ha!

Return to The Backstage Lounge