Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:16 am

In other matters - we know they will make a fretless 6 string guitar and have done a number of them.

Question for the guitarists on the beloved BBS: would such an instrument be ideal for use in a cover of "Fairies Wear Boots"?

I ask as it's always seemed to my ears that Tony slides some chords and even some slightly arpeggiated bits, and almost in and out of time/across measures.

Anyway, aside from what may be my wrong take on his writing and my ears possibly deceiving me, the question remains. Well, what say you, guitarists?

Peace.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Step 1: Lose your fingertips in an industrial accident at work

Step 2: Replace fingertips with melted plastic balls made from dish washing liquid bottle

:lol: Kidding, a bit, but I cant help but think that had something to do with it. I do hear what you are hearing, though. I would worry that a fretless would change all of the non-slide-y notes too much. :think: (says a guy who's never touched a fretless guitar :laughhard: )
Last edited by spudmunkey on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 pm

Thought David got stuck at the start of this but it eventually got going . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb942oKkQ8o

Anitoli
Links/Contact:

Postby Anitoli » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:In other matters - we know they will make a fretless 6 string guitar and have done a number of them.

Question for the guitarists on the beloved BBS: would such an instrument be ideal for use in a cover of "Fairies Wear Boots"?

I ask as it's always seemed to my ears that Tony slides some chords and even some slightly arpeggiated bits, and almost in and out of time/across measures.

Anyway, aside from what may be my wrong take on his writing and my ears possibly deceiving me, the question remains. Well, what say you, guitarists?

Peace.

For alot of the songs he was also tuning down to C#. Makes things really wobbly.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:53 am

Anitoli wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:In other matters - we know they will make a fretless 6 string guitar and have done a number of them.

Peace.

For alot of the songs he was also tuning down to C#. Makes things really wobbly.

This for sure. He had such low string tension that this seem to smoosh out.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Watching the latest Q&A live stream----while re-stringing my Icon 5 with DR Fat Beams.

helldorado
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby helldorado » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:52 am

I've been wondering how many people post on the Kiesel group page simply because they're trying to get attention to their YouTube channel or hoping for an endorsement rather than simply to be part of a community?

You definitely see some people actively post with a lot of "hey look at me!" type posts, but rarely ever respond or provide helpful advice.

Like how many people would stop posting altogether if only Kiesel endorsed artists could post videos of their music? :laughhard:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:47 pm

OK, so: SH6 is in the oven. I guess the rest of the list would be:

1: Something with a bridge single coil and a trem. I haven't had a trem since I sold my Ibanez when I got my CS6. I never really learned how to work with a trem when I've owned them before, but with youtube being what it is these days, and having two crap-tastic trems on junky strat copies for a couple of years now, i think I've got a pretty good handle on how to set them up, and think I might want one...but only also so i can justify it's place in my guitar "collection", since i've already got my HSS aries, which has a splitable humbucker...so a unique bridge pickup wouldn't be enough, it would also need a different bridge. :) I think i still prefer the shape of the GH3 and the old bolt, visually, but the Delos was definitely more comfortable than the GH3. I really liked the idea of the HD, and I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers...I think I'd stick with the standard Delos with my own money.

2: I got a chance to play every on-the-wall Kiesel at NAMM, and I've gotta say...i've caught a fever for something neck-through. SCB was pretty nice, but I liked how the Vader and DC felt, the most...next to the K series, but I don't need a K series. I don't need a K series.

I don't need a K series.

I don't need a K series.

Sorry, i just need to keep telling myself that. :lol: Honestly, I really truely did still prefer it over the DC, even with as close-in-shape they look in photos since the DC design update. The K series' forearm contour is just deeper and wider, with that full-body chamfer around the top, and that super deep upper fret access cutaway...all very very nice. It felt very streamlined because the edge of the body is thinner all the way around.

Non-kiesel-wise, I'm also hoping to build a guitar body this summer our of a doorway header I pulled from my home when i widened a doorway. 70 years old solid redwood. Hoping to make a baritone bolt-on...something. I keep seeeing a body similar to a Fender Meteora...but the extended scale of a baritone with what is effectively a single cut, makes me a little nervous...unless I pull teh bridge way back almost to the end of the body...

helldorado
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby helldorado » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I don't need a K series.

Keep saying it for me too. :mrgreen: I've always wanted something with a 5 layer body. Like ebony, maple, black limba, maple, ebony from front to back, and a K series would do it nicely. The main thing saving me is the laundry list of mods, repairs and other builds I want to do.

So I have that unplanned impulse Hot Pink Crackle A6X showing up this week... and that will go to the back of the line for mods. My work list got backed up because I bought some extra pickups that were on sale for Black Friday :oops:

I'm trying to work through the ready to go mod list first...
Hot Pink Kiesel V220 - new DiMarzio pickups received, waiting to be swapped in.
Tropic Kiesel DC600 baritone - Seymour Duncan custom shop pickups ordered, waiting to be received. Then it's a double date pickup swap day.
PRS SE 277 semi-hollow - have a set of raw nickel Fralin hum-cancelling P90's to swap in and want to order some locking tuners for it
Gibson Explorer - Have a set of satin nickel DiMarzio D Activators waiting to go in. Then I want to swap out the plastic bits for aluminum and give it a dress up and spa day.

Then it's the build / rebuild list. I think I have all the parts for all 4 of these ready to go, but need to finish the work.
Blonde swamp ash Strat that needs a refret, body clean-up and I have a full electronics swap planned for it. Blonde alder Tele parts build that is designed to coordinate with the Strat. The Strat is getting a HSH setup with a Mad Hatter Terminator 10 and the Tele has a SD quarter pound bridge and pearly gates neck pickup with a custom Mad Hatter wiring setup for 4 way wiring and tap/split. Then I have 2 Warmoth builds I need to finish... :lol: A Flamed Maple Blue Strat with a Wilkinson and Fender Texas Specials, and the other is an Ice Blue Metallic LP with a baritone neck. I kept collecting parts then I kind of realized I had everything and I just haven't gotten it all together to finish them. I think I just like buying parts... :think: :wall:

Then I have a Jazzmaster I'd like to mod to a Jazzblaster, a PRS S2 Vela semi-hollow I'd like to play with the pickups on, and an aged white Burny LPC copy I want to convert to a Randy Rhoads style vintage LPC with antiquity gold JB/Jazz pickups.

Oh... then I want a multiscale 7, a CT6 and a Crescent at some point. I really wish I could get a CT6 or Crescent with an extended scale neck in 6 strings, which is why I didn't get one of those sooner. But I really do think my next build with be a Delos so I can do a custom wiring setup with some Fralin Vintage Hot pickups.

And I'm spent.... check on me in 5 years if I ever get it done. :roll:

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 am

Congrats on the upcoming SH! I'm excited for you!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 pm

Not claiming to be in Beck's league . . . [disclaimer]

But, it can get weird with tremolo. My 3rd guitar, first Carvin, had the Wilkinson and I started using it heavily. Of course, I had also by then gotten HEAVILY into Gilmour's stuff so some tremolo required. But, then I developed my own style, similar to Beck where I pretty much have my hand on the thing constantly to the point I instinctively reach down for the bar out of habit even when playing my hardtails. :oops:

I think it can make you lazy though. IMO, You can do better tremolo, bend into, out of, slide into, out of on the fretboard and get a better tone. Fell in love with Andy Timmons' style in recent years. He uses his tremolo but much less. More sliding into and out of notes and even chords, still plenty of in/out of bends, uses the tremolo more for special effects only [mostly]. I have been trying to emulate him more of late. Plus it just makes you better manage the fretboard.

Good luck with the bun in the oven. I never ordered my Vader. Still might. Decided to focus on getting a few guitars sold first which will make the boss happy.

Doctor Turn
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:49 am

Dude who does that "keep the whammy bar in hand to create that dreary sad hypnotic wobble in your notes" rather than bending manually is obviously Neil Young, and it doesn't hurt that he has one of the most iconic guitar and amp combos in the history of man. That hugely microphonic ancient Firebird in the bridge, the little weepy wobble from his constant palming of his Big (he bent the bar on a workbench to keep it flat to the body so it's easy for him to keep constantly in hand), and that uniquely responsive Deluxe Re (that he reupped with big bottle 6L6's instead of smaller stock 6V6).. it's one of those rigs that he just needs to touch the dang thing lightly and it sounds like tears from heaven. Some rigs are so good you have to work far less to produce eternal sounds, and Neil burned through many pieces of equipment and amazing guitars to come to that rig he uses now. He knew when he first started putting that guitar and amp together by the end of the 60's (he started tracking with it around Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere with DOWN BY THE RIVER & COWGIRL IN THE SAND) that he had something special, and he's really never used anything else, nor used any effects aside from a custom stomp box to push the amp through various gain stages. He's using a delay of some sort here..

All these years he just goes onstage with that little tiny combo and fills giant arenas by putting it through the PA.Never even uses cabinets to magnify the sound pre-PA.

It's just magical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA

This is actually really nice--he pretty much never does rig rundowns nor allows anyone to fool with Old Black. He's got a highly trusted tech to handle that ancient guitar and fragile old amp for him and keep them both working properly. He doesn't actually have his rig with him,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJNpZZBjxNk
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Return to The Backstage Lounge