Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Carr Mercury V 1x12 Combo

Postby ioneater » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:30 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Can anyone tell if this is a Vader or a Strandberg? Or something different?

They sound an awful lot like lithiums to me. But unless I missed it, the guitar was never identified.

Anyhow shows the amp with moderate gain, using the line out. Just went up.

https://youtu.be/MWzx-weAkws

A belated congratulations on the arrival of your new noise maker, Doc.

Boy, that clip really does not sound inspiring to me, either. It just sounds like so many other clips with extended range guitars going byonk byonk byonk. I bet they could have gotten the same tone going straight into a DAW.

The many other demos of the Carr amps in this thread highlight its versatility better IMO. I would like to try one someday before I croak!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:18 am

ioneater wrote: byonk byonk byonk.

Exactly this. I was trying to come up with a word for the ERG sound. This is it! Not a fan of it, though I know plenty of people are, and it seems to be the up and coming sound, or at least the newest fad sound outside of pop/rock.

This even falls under the whole "djent," movement. I tried listening to some over the weekend, and it just doesn't work for me. Too many "byonk byonk byonks" going on, though I appreciate the odd time signatures and such.

I don't think the amp is really the issue in the video, so much as the intended sound, player, and style. Now, if Steve Vai's sound was criticized as being like a ham sandwich, I can think of another type of sandwich the modern stuff may sound like.

"Byonk byonk, mother******s!" Pretty much describes how I feel this morning.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:51 am

I think most of the kids of this generation are measuring the impact of a piece of music by the size of the "high score," just like a video game, it's they way they're wired. Aesthetic impact seems to be something hugely admired but almost an artifact of another time... it's all about execution and speed of execution in the djentzone. It's literally like someone doing a video game run as an expression of their hand-eye coordination, musical instruments are increasingly being seen as vehicles for this kind of playing. The attitude and the art of emotional impact--the godly awesomeness of a Zep classic, the raunch of a van Halen song,the heavy weight of an early classic Sabbath song... what makes those songs great can't be measured in an immediately quantifiable way that's agreed upon by everybody.

Djent is like a Fujita or Richter scale for today's youth, where one kid says "I have practiced THIS much," and another kid uploads another piece and says "Yeah well get out my way I have practiced THIS MUCH MORE," and he is considered boss level.

All devoid to non fans of this kind of wheedling of any sort of aesthetic content whatsoever and in fact completely misses the entire point of picking up an instrument to begin with. Video games are supposed to be leisure time activities for enjoyment: they've become stressful vehicles of kids defining their skill sets before the entire planet in a very serious manner.

Music is mimicking the video game in that it's becoming a vehicle for expression of hand eye coordination... the use of Guitar Hero and the like only pushes it further in that direction. Herf snerf!
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm

But...But....But... :( ESPN is having professional video games as a sport, and someone just texted the entire alphabet in the low 7 seconds!!!! :lol:
Byonk... Byonk... Byonk... is being kind. Lol. I get it, and I hear that, but I hear some fart sounds too. :lol: I never completely got over potty humor, so it makes me laugh a bit. (Beavis style) Heh..Heh..Heh...He said ...........

It's shocking how ordinary that guitar made a great amp sound.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:27 am

I am getting, um... older.

I'm completely amazed how the younger generation has pushed the physical boundaries of the instrument with astonishing advances in technique, speed, more strings, multiscale, as well the sheer evolution of complex music itself. However, I often find modern sounds to be very flat, very compressed, and quite one-dimensional. You might say, "well Pops, get yer hearing checked", but it's not that; I can still hear well above 15kHz and I listen to a broad palette of music (always have). I was cruising around YouTube yesterday and found a dude demoing a Solo with humbuckers. He had good technique and phrasing, but it sounded just like every other recording: flat and tinsely. The highs are plucky and chimey but all face, very little depth to my ear. The distortion is tight, tight, tight and right up front. It's just 0 or 1. I find that I fatigue of that very quickly.

A Les Paul with some lightly or unpotted PAFs through a Tweed Deluxe (with a Celestion Blue) or a Marshall (18W or Plexi) is just magic.

To quote Jimmy Page..."Dynamics... Light and shade... Whisper to the thunder. It invites you in... It’s intoxicating."

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm

colossal wrote:
A Les Paul with some lightly or unpotted PAFs through a Tweed Deluxe (with a Celestion Blue) or a Marshall (18W or Plexi) is just magic.

To quote Jimmy Page..."Dynamics... Light and shade... Whisper to the thunder. It invites you in... It’s intoxicating."

Words of wisdom.

Fender single coils are just wonderful, be they on the Strat, Tele, or Jmaster (all different sounding), but a good fat humbucker running thru a handwired amp that easily pushes the power tubes is just godly.

As is my super versatile vintage original Carvin X amp. But that Merc is biblical PAF tone. My Carvin humbuckers, my vintage Hagstroms and my Les Paul just adore that damned thing. Wow. Let the djenters djent. I will keep crafting musical music until I croak. Aesthetics are my language, as are gymnastics when called for... bless the time these aging hands were born.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Fender single coils are just wonderful, be they on the Strat, Tele, or Jmaster (all different sounding), but a good fat humbucker running thru a handwired amp that easily pushes the power tubes is just godly.

Don't forget the Jaguar and Mustang; gotta represent the short-scale models. The Jag, in particular, has some very hot singles that scream. Love those guitars.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:25 am

I know I'm behind on this and other things in terms of getting some sounds up (I also have about an album's worth of new material that's getting ready to go up this summer, but not sure how I'm going to handle it because it's some of my best work in terms of songwriting, both instrumental and vocals). But I'm shooting towards getting some examples of picking a decently dirtied up sweet spot of the Mercury V and show a variety of bridge pups barking thru them, say the Alnico V Carvin 22SD, basic legit PAF tone via the vintage Alnico II Hagstrom Custom 58's from the 70's on a semihollow as well as a solidbody. . . then Johan Lundgren's A2 recreation of those on the Northen proto of the Super Swede for long scale PAF sounds, the Gibson Les Paul Alnico V P90's, and maybe another time I'll do some neck pickups to show the clean side of the amp.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 am

Any chance of convincing you to hit the front end with a tube screamer set as an almost-clean boost and record some Slayer riffs?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:34 am

Cynical wrote:Any chance of convincing you to hit the front end with a tube screamer set as an almost-clean boost and record some Slayer riffs?

If I knew any Slayer songs I'd consider it, but I honestly have never listened to a Slayer song, once. I love a huge variety of music from Stockhausen to The Damned, but Slayer is not something I listen to.

So if there's something you specifically you want to hear you'd have to mention it, because I have no idea what's what in the Slayer canon.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

Chemical Warfare!

Dead easy to play (as long as you're playing the rhythm part, not the solos), and awesome.

The reason I bring up Slayer is that their tone formula for their rhythm guitars in their glory days is right in line with a lot of what you're doing now -- short-scale guitars (Hanneman used a Les Paul, King used a 24.6" scale Mockingbird) with a SuperD in the bridge pickup position, into a mid-humped clean boost, into a Marshall JCM800 2203.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:59 am

I'll check it out..
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Sorry, I been so busy over the past couple weekends but I WILL get to this. Meantime, a really sweet example of the cleaner side of the merc, and some P90's (and a really weird Gibson LP Special DC at the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqBlX6bzGE
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear