Fretless lines sticking out

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

BassLeon

Fretless lines sticking out

Postby BassLeon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey guys!
Not sure if I should post this here or in the tech talk section, but here goes.

Last year I bought an Aries 6 string lined fretless bass and I really love it!
Tight B string, wonderful sound with many options, and gorgeous.

I got this bass lined and with no finish on the fingerboard.
I don't care about my roundwounds leaving a few marks here and there on that awesome royal ebony fingerboard, but..
The only issue I've had is, where I live it gets really dry (roughly 9 months every year), and so the fingerboard started shrinking...and the fret lines(made out of plastic I assume) started to stick out.
I never take it out of the house and if I'm not playing it, it's always in its hard case.

Now, I really don't care for it when it's on the edges of the fingerboard, because unlike steel frets, these can't cut me and I don't mind feeling them when I run my hand down the neck.
What bothers me is, I get a lot of dead notes and buzzing sound all over the neck.
If I run my fingers on the face of the fingerboard, I can even feel some of the lines sticking out.

What can I do about it? It's a wonderful instrument and I love it, but it's not enjoyable to play it when I have so many dead notes and buzzing happening all over.

Cheers!

ElfDude

Re: Fretless lines sticking out

Postby ElfDude » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 am

First thing I would do would be to call customer service and ask if they'll cover this as a warranty issue.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:57 am

I will assume it is just like when the fret ends poke out. I oil the finger board and it goes away in a day or so most of the time.
I recommend fret doctor. But any quality oil for fret boards will do. I have found mineral oil can have too much applied and the wood gets "wet" if you over do it. The fret doctor stuff allows me to be pretty liberal with the application and it only soaks in what it needs. That has been my results anyway.

Good luck.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 am

:D Yep, oil it. It's a thing

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 am

As a fellow Carvin/Kiesel guy who lives in the high desert where it's also really dry for over half the year, I do oil my fretboards (Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment for me) but it can only help so much.

When my 2008 Bolt was less than a year old it had developed a pretty bad case of fret sprout that oil just couldn't fix. Carvin (at that time) dealt with it as a warranty issue. I shipped it to them, they did a file job and sent it back, and I haven't had a problem with it since.

Hence my suggestion to "call my guys" as Jeff would say.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

BassLeon

Postby BassLeon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for all the answers!

I did send Kiesel an email almost 2 weeks ago but didn't get any answer back whatsoever, so I'll probably try and call them.

Kiesel's bass manual said for ebony fingerboards you should use lemon oil twice a year.
The only lemon oil I have is Dunlop 65 and I did use it, though aside from making the fingerboard look nice for a few weeks, it didn't help with the issue of the fret lines.

Not sure why they don't use some type of wood for the lines instead so that it will shrink together with the fingerboard :/...

Anyways, thanks again for the help guys! Hopefully things will work out :)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:51 pm

BassLeon wrote:Not sure why they don't use some type of wood for the lines instead so that it will shrink together with the fingerboard :/...

To make the inlay lines that are that skinny out of wood, the grain would have to be running in the opposite direction, and wouldn't aleviate the issue since it would expand and contract in the other direction. ;-p

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:54 pm

BassLeon wrote:Thanks for all the answers!

I did send Kiesel an email almost 2 weeks ago but didn't get any answer back whatsoever, so I'll probably try and call them.

Kiesel's bass manual said for ebony fingerboards you should use lemon oil twice a year.
The only lemon oil I have is Dunlop 65 and I did use it, though aside from making the fingerboard look nice for a few weeks, it didn't help with the issue of the fret lines.

Not sure why they don't use some type of wood for the lines instead so that it will shrink together with the fingerboard :/...

Anyways, thanks again for the help guys! Hopefully things will work out :)

Calling is best.
Email works but only a direct email to an individual (your sales guy). Not a genreal inquiry.

Ask this question on facebook. Can't hurt.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Don
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Don » Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 am

You might consider humidifying the bass while it's in the case. Oil doesn't put lost moisture back into the wood.

dr. love

Postby dr. love » Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 am

Don wrote:You might consider humidifying the bass while it's in the case. Oil doesn't put lost moisture back into the wood.

This... I live in a dry climate and battle it all the time too. You can get a room humidifier for wherever you store the instruments and it will help. Another "quick and cheap" method is to just put the bass in the bathroom when you take a shower (NOT IN THE SHOWER :D ) and let it soak up some humidity that way. I do that periodically, the frequency depending on the instrument: some are just more sensitive than others.

Worst case scenario is just carefully leveling the lines out with a flat razor, or sanding the entire fingerboard flat. Try humidifying first.

lucien
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lucien » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

This is why you never ever ever do a lined fretless without a hard finish over the board. This isn't a QC problem with Carvin/Kiesel; this is just what happens when you put inserts in slots cut in a piece of wood. Wood just moves and no matter how finely made the original product is, or how securely you glue the inserts in, eventually the wood does its thing and the inserts start to come out.

There's no easy fix. You basically have to redo the whole thing and then put a hard finish over it if you want it fixed permanently. Kiesel can probably do a great repair and it'll be ok for a while, but wood will be wood and eventually it'll happen again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the unfortunate truth :). Just make sure next time to get either a blank fingerboard or a HAN finish if you do get a lined version....

LS

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses