Question about piezo system

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

JGM

Question about piezo system

Postby JGM » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Hi, I am a long-time reader, but this is my first post.

I have been thinking about ordering a Kiesel for the past several months, and have just about finalized my specs. The one thing I have not been able to find an answer to (an email to customer service went unanswered...) is the specifics of the piezo system. I understand the function of the output jacks, and how best to use this option. I currently play Music Man instruments with their fantastic piezo system (which sadly isn't offered as a general option anymore...that's one of the things that got me looking at Kiesel. The other is that they don't make a 7-string instrument that appeals to me.)

My question: when the magnetic and piezo outputs are used simultaneously, is the magnetic signal active or passive? I assume that the entire signal is routed through a mixer/buffer when the single-output mix is used, but how does it function when the magnetic pickups are on their own jack? The system I am using now gives me a completely passive (works without the battery) magnetic pickup signal when the outputs are split. I have found that I do not like the sound when the mag pickups are buffered in the guitar. If no one knows the answer, would someone be willing to test it?

Many thanks.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Question about piezo system

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I don't have any answers for you, but I think it's worth noting that the piezo system Kiesel uses changed just a couple of years ago.

My point is that while you gather your info, it'll be important to know if the information you're getting is on the older system that they used for a couple of decades and likely sold thousands of, or the newer one that have only been using for just a few years.

Their old system was sort of an add-on to their "Active electronics" preamp package. You couldn't get the piezo without first adding that active preamp. This is the type of system they had for years on models like the DC400, etc. You'd know if it's this older system of it's got the 4 knobs, 3-way toggle, and 2 or 3 mini toggles. It could also only be paired with two humbuckers.

The newer system they use is simply one knob and one mini switch, added to whatever pickup layout or control scheme you have, whether it's HSS, HH, etc.

I'll also note that within these two main types, it's entirely possible that there were multiple generations of preamps/compnents "under the hood", too (I know there was on the "older" style).

JGM

Re: Question about piezo system

Postby JGM » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks. I'm already quite familiar with all of that (I almost bought a Carvin with the old system 5 or 6 years ago and did lots of research then). I just need to know about the active/passive thing. It looks like I'll have to give them a call if no one on here knows.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars